Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 Sep 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3137142)   #1
Bongo40
Rookie

Bongo40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What to look for when buying a used racing car?

Assuming that you are aware of a car's pedigree and the components are as advertsied, what are the top5 things people look at when buying a used club level racing car? I assume its things like the harness/extinguisher being in date and no obviouse cracks in welds etc?
Old 17 Sep 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3137164)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo40 View Post
Assuming that you are aware of a car's pedigree and the components are as advertsied, what are the top5 things people look at when buying a used club level racing car? I assume its things like the harness/extinguisher being in date and no obviouse cracks in welds etc?
Personally I'd say the seat and harness are irrelevant when buying a car - you don't know the history of those parts so it's better to fit new (also the seat may not be the correct size / location and if you replace and / or move the seat then the belt mounting points may need changing too). The exitinguisher being out of date isn't a deal breaker either - easy enough to get an extinguisher replaced or serviced.

Other than that check the cage is fitted properly (and welds go all the way around) and if you need it may sure it's certificated. See it running if possible (on circuit preferably) that way you've got some idea that the engine and running gear are at least functioning. And of course - check it's eligible for the series you want to race in!
Old 17 Sep 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3137454)   #3
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One really important thing to do is buy the car as it comes off the circuit, having made sure its times are similar to what it normally does. Have seen too many cars put up for sale with all the trick bits removed.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3137721)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I agree there, I remember someone telling me they bought the old ex-works Opel Commadore which at the time was being used in Road Saloons, when he went to pick it up they had it on the ramp changing over the shockers!
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3137729)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Buy it warm, fresh from running at either a test day or race meeting, with a lap score from digital timing confirming what the car is capable of. You will then get the pukka genuine article, or the deal doesnt happen...
Old 18 Sep 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3137845)   #6
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If possible see if you can take the car out for a test day (at your expense of course) The last car I bought the guy insisted I took it testing before he let me buy it !
Old 18 Sep 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3137858)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
And don't expect what the buyer of my mates car did and that was to allow him to enter it into a race and if it qualified OK he would buy it, my pal obviously didn't allow this!