Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2337701)   #1
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentry...35B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesholland
I would imagine it's now running as the full monty.
I'm sure it is....I know they run NGK11 plugs in it and until I saw them I thought 9's were the hardest around.

I have to run 9's in my Mini and they are a real pain and often drop out on the formation lap or grid and refuse to come back in ....unlike 8's which behave perfectly but struggle to last. 11's who knows....

RT
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2337705)   #2
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know we are going off topic here but I'm surprised you have trouble with NGK 9s. I use 10s in my Cooper 500 and find them a most tractable plug - I have used an 11 on occasions too with no ill effect. The only time I had one oil up was at Pau when we were kept waiting with engines running for 15 minutes before the formation lap of a very wet race.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2337853)   #3
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NGK 9's O/T

Quote:
I know we are going off topic here but I'm surprised you have trouble with NGK 9s.
Not sure why either but it was reliably misbehaving.... At about four rounds this year it has sounded fine in holding and cruising round right up until the lights went green and then three %$^&" cylinders and nothing would bring it back. From memory never the same cylinder either.

It is high compression at 14 to 1 (but I expect the Cooper is up there too)....and I run it on 104 octane on split 40's...it is only an 848 too.

Maybe it is a combination of small swept volume, high compression and the octane?

Switching to 8's stopped it happening immediately...

-RT
Old 20 Nov 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2338161)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
These posts taken from the VSCC Cadwell thread following discussion regarding the Gentry Bugatti.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2338190)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I know we are going off topic here but I'm surprised you have trouble with NGK 9s. I use 10s in my Cooper 500 and find them a most tractable plug - I have used an 11 on occasions too with no ill effect. The only time I had one oil up was at Pau when we were kept waiting with engines running for 15 minutes before the formation lap of a very wet race.
That was great fun James. We were looking after Duncans Comet and having had no expearence of 500 just had a hoot helping everyone get out on track. I got a bit worried when the chap from Norway could not get going and then i saw the fuel pooring out from his carb that was held together with tie wraps.!
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2338253)   #6
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you enjoyed it.

I'd class it as one of the my most miserable experiences
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2338255)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Terry/Peter-What sort of plugs do you use in B's as someone told me butt type but I don't really understand these things.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2338261)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Terry/Peter-What sort of plugs do you use in B's as someone told me butt type but I don't really understand these things.
Ear Plugs
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2338287)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Delta are you saying they are full of c rap??! ;o)
Old 20 Nov 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2338291)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I was going to go there, but thought . . .I know, rather than get into trouble I'll wait for John
Old 20 Nov 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2338329)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have always used 9s and have never had any trouble even running it in the workshop and loading up.
However its very important that fueling is spot on throughout the range with running it weaker on tick-over. Several turbo road cars run 9s as standard are tractable and never give any trouble, but of course all this modern stuff is fuel injection and ecu controlled .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2338343)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
so is most of the old stuff these day Gordon!
Old 20 Nov 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2338354)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just having a wind up . Dynamic dueo have not bit yet although Terrance has been on the phone.As im spending all the spare hours i have rebuilding MGB here i better shut up.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2338435)   #14
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
9 or 11?

Is that inches?
Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2338491)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ahem!
Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2338493)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
No thats wot lap times they would like to do at Spa.3.09. 3.11.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2338499)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
more likely thou . .

. . shalt not bring inuendo unto this debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
9 or 11?

Is that inches?