Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1056174)   #1
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Mik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver marshalling

I'm normally a driver but not having a drive next weekend and feeling a bit left out I've managed to volunteer to marshal instead. Not quite sure how that happened but...

Any suggestions from the inhabitants of this forum as to what I should bring/wear/whatever? (and yes, I do know that pork pies are banned )

There will be probably 3 of us not-done-this-before types so go easy on us OK?

Mik
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1056187)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where are you Marshalling Mik?

Your race suit should be fine - unless it's red, yellow, blue, green, white, or red/yellow stripes!!

Clothing to keep you dry, stout footwear, plenty of butties/drinks.
Sense of humour (For when you've been stood in the rain for 8 hours)
Finally.....good on yer lad - come & have a look at life on our side of the armco!
You'll be made very welcome I'm certain!
Enjoy!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1056191)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As it's this weekend plenty of suncream as you don't want to burn away by lunchtime. I always take plenty of water as it's usually quite easy to find somewhere to replenish supplies on those really hot days. Also sun glasses and a cap to shade your eyes. Oh, don't forget to pack the sence of humour
Old 4 Aug 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1056192)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First step - look at www.marshalspost.com. Lots of good advice there.

As a journo who has marshalled a couple of times, the following advice:

Layers of natural fibre clothes, so you can take on and off depending on how warm/cold it is. They will get dirty, so better make them old clothes. And make sure they don't clash with the flags.

Waterproofs - coat and trousers, especially given the forecast. I'm glad I had them at Rockingham.

You'll need gloves - I just used some gardening gloves and there were fine for what I needed to do.

Sturdy work/walking boots.

Food and drink - take plenty as a packed lunch - no guarantee you will be able to get off post if there are delays.

Before the day starts, familiarise yourself with your role. If you are flagging, make sure you know your flags (obviously!) if incident, you'll almost certainly go out with someone more experienced so just be prepared to listen to instructions.

I'm sure others can offer lots more advice.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1056264)   #5
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Before the day starts, familiarise yourself with your role. If you are flagging, make sure you know your flags (obviously!)"

Come on - Thats a driver you're talking to to :-)
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1056265)   #6
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh - And have fun Mik - I did a day last year and it was great - Damn hard standing up all day and then having to be alert responsive....Respect to the boys/girls in Orange !!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1056278)   #7
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Sorry, should have said the meeting is MGCC at Snetterton on Sunday.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1056280)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
As it's this weekend plenty of suncream as you don't want to burn away by lunchtime
I Love an Optimist!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1056285)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Mik
Sorry, should have said the meeting is MGCC at Snetterton on Sunday.
Right then!

You've chosen to work for one of the best clubs in the Country!
You will be very well looked after by Mr watson & his team.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1056292)   #10
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All drivers should have to marshal as part of keeping their comp licences. I did it at Lydden a few weeks back, as the toy was broken; had a really good laugh and appreciated what it was like from the other side.
Was quite hard work; kept busy all day;

Big respect to you guys in the orange suits. Must do it again.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1056392)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say, drivers marshalling is one of the best things to be spread around this forum. All the things you need have been mentioned above, except bring a few more friends with you! Seriosuly, you'll all be very welcome ehrever you turn out.
Old 4 Aug 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1056519)   #12
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Driver marshalling

Quote:
Originally posted by Mik
I'm normally a driver but not having a drive next weekend and feeling a bit left out I've managed to volunteer to marshal instead. Not quite sure how that happened but...

Any suggestions from the inhabitants of this forum as to what I should bring/wear/whatever? (and yes, I do know that pork pies are banned )

There will be probably 3 of us not-done-this-before types so go easy on us OK?

Mik
Hey, you can only Marshal if we get to have a go in your car! (and show you how to really crash it!
Old 4 Aug 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1056562)   #13
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Driver marshalling

My girlfriend and I are the other two racers that are going to be doing this marshalling lark....

Don't worry Mik I spoke with Mr Watson today and all the info you need is winging it's way to you now. All the advice above meets with what I was told so let's see you at signing on 8.00am sharp

Quote:
Originally posted by F1JordanUk
Hey, you can only Marshal if we get to have a go in your car! (and show you how to really crash it!
and don't worry... I did a fantastic job of destroying my car at oulton last year...
Old 4 Aug 2004, 23:34 (Ref:1056605)   #14
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there Nig_21 and Mik so say hello. I'll be the one in Orange. If you need a better description, I'm sure the others on this site will give you a better guide to my looks.
Now there's a challenge??
Old 4 Aug 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1056609)   #15
John Watson
Racer

England
Burgh on Bain - Lincolnshire
John Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MG Car Club motto is "The Marque of Friendship" and this most certainly applies to everyone, whether they are Members or not.

So Nigel, Angela, and Michael, we are most grateful for your help, you will be made most welcome. I also hope you enjoy the day.

See you Sunday, any more volunteers want to come and play ?
Old 5 Aug 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1056813)   #16
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my vast marshalling experience(one day at Oulton) it's a whole new world on the other side of the fence... you think drivers are quirky!
When you sign on you may get the chance to choose the post you are assigned to. My advice is to pick one just before a corner where you expect the action to be. That way you won't miss the action and any heavy lifting can hopefully be avoided.
Have a good day... I know I did.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1056887)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Stephen, that's cheating! (makes mental note to put Stephen on a busy post if he ever comes to Brands)
Old 5 Aug 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1056904)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
..and another plus - don't forget if you have a B licence and want to upgrade to an A, a day's marshalling gets you a precious signature.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1056919)   #19
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
Quote:
Originally posted by MGDavid
..and another plus - don't forget if you have a B licence and want to upgrade to an A, a day's marshalling gets you a precious signature.
We are all aware of the license situation
Mik gets to loose his 'wally' for this and for me its just another signature to add to the vast array I already collected this year

Angela is just doing it for the 'fun'...

I'd also like to add... as a championship (I'm the TSSC Champ Secretary) us Triumph racers have really enjoyed the MGCC meetings. They are well organised and you are a friendly bunch, I hope we can do many more in the future

I hope I'll be able to do this again sometime in the future, although I'd rather be playing in my toy, you do understand? don't you?

Last edited by NiG_21; 5 Aug 2004 at 11:14.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1056921)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by StephenRae
From my vast marshalling experience(one day at Oulton) it's a whole new world on the other side of the fence... Have a good day... I know I did.
Stephen,

I can think of a couple of dozen FFNW drivers that secretly wish you'd take up marshalling full-time!
It'll give them a chance of winning a race!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1056941)   #21
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by StephenRae
My advice is to pick one just before a corner where you expect the action to be. That way you won't miss the action and any heavy lifting can hopefully be avoided.
Have a good day... I know I did.
Stephen at Snetterton most incident marshals posts are on the corners, so no avoiding the work.

Now, how to discribe Pete Harding?

Anyway Mik SkyRedButton and myself will be at Snetterton. I be in orange wait a minutes so will Pete Harding you might get us mixed up by mistaken. SRB is easy to spot she will be wearing green and riding around in a white tin coat!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1056995)   #22
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Mitchell
Stephen,

I can think of a couple of dozen FFNW drivers that secretly wish you'd take up marshalling full-time!
It'll give them a chance of winning a race!
Mark...I think you have me confused with the mighty Stephen Roberts (who incidentally made such a good job of putting the 'marshalling' stickers on my car, they were supplied F.O.C. by Infiniti by the way)

I digress... you are not wrong about some drivers wishing I wasn't there but not for quite the same reason!!

Steve Jones No4.Pre87.FF1600
Old 9 Aug 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1060860)   #23
Mik
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Well I had a great time yesterday at Snetterton, plenty of entertainment and not too many drivers throwing their cars at us.

Thanks to all the people I spoke to, especially the guys I was with at the esses.

Looks like I picked the right day to be at Snetterton, I'm told the weather isn't usually that good!

The only bad thing about the whole day was the huge traffic queue I got stuck in on the A14 on the way home

I'll come back and do it again sometime. Thanks all

Mik
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1061215)   #24
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
Yeah, Ang and I had a great time with Peter and his 'crew' on Bombhole-out too. We even got to 'red' flag our own race...

I think we will probably be doing that again sometime... AnG was definatley keen (but not when I'm racing). I'll have to see how many other drivers I can convince to give it a go too.

We also got stuck in the traffic jam and didn't make it home until 11.00pm (was up at 5.30am!!)

Last edited by NiG_21; 9 Aug 2004 at 16:57.
Ex-Swinging Sixties Racer #21 and CSCC Future Classics Coordinator
Got plans tho' ... :/