Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 23 Jun 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3096963)   #1
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix 1937 Release

Just downloaded this fantastic release - yes it really is harder than GPL! Well done guys.

Only one problem - and its a big one - the ERA is the only car that is appearing in my game. I am getting texture load errors for the others. They neither appear in the menu or load in the game. Do they only work in one resolution or something? Even the ERA has strange white wheels. Any help appreciated. I've used both the auto install feature and tried loading the files manually but with no success.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3096970)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a video of this. It looks brilliant!
Old 24 Jun 2012, 06:40 (Ref:3097017)   #3
osellacz
Rookie

osellacz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn no idea why is that.. you are the 3rd or 4t person with problems to see the other cars hopefully we will make fix so it works for everyone, well it does for most people already.

Btw the ERA is maybe the easiest car to drive there is in mod The silver arrows if you compare them to 60s f1, its like comparing 60s f1 to modern f1
Old 24 Jun 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3097074)   #4
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks - in the end I did a new install of rfactor and all seems to be fine now. All I can say is WOW. Most important sim release since GPL in my view.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 15:10 (Ref:3097218)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It made me go and read about Grand Prix racing back then. Fascinating history prior to the Formula 1 era.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3097311)   #6
osellacz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
It made me go and read about Grand Prix racing back then. Fascinating history prior to the Formula 1 era.
Thats great to hear.
We hoped that people won't just have fun, we hoped that more people will become interested in that era.. it is just mind blowing to even think about racing those cars at those speeds, at tracks like nordschleife or AVUS. You either don't care about this era at all or you are fascinated, nothing in between
Old 24 Jun 2012, 18:40 (Ref:3097331)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
And who hasn't heard the names Nuvolari or Rosemeyer before? Just brilliant. I wish my laptop was still capable of running rFactor. It's getting old now..

Any plans to release it for rFactor 2?
Old 24 Jun 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3097332)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Oh, this looks brilliant. This was my favourite track on GPL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB2h2X3GM8
Old 25 Jun 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3097590)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking forward to giving this a go. Downloading now. Obviously as a GPL fan I note the comments about it being harder than GPL and hope that this has been done sensibly, bearing in mind apparently how the inherent difficulty of GPL has put people off of it over the years. Looking forward to giving my own assessment!
Old 25 Jun 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3097596)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post

Only one problem - and its a big one - the ERA is the only car that is appearing in my game. I am getting texture load errors for the others. They neither appear in the menu or load in the game. Do they only work in one resolution or something? Even the ERA has strange white wheels. Any help appreciated. I've used both the auto install feature and tried loading the files manually but with no success.

I'm getting the same errors - texture and global material errors on all cars except the ERA. And I really can't be bothered to do a complete new install again - only did one a week ago. I'll wait and see if there's a bugfix.....
Old 25 Jun 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3097956)   #11
osellacz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm getting the same errors - texture and global material errors on all cars except the ERA. And I really can't be bothered to do a complete new install again - only did one a week ago. I'll wait and see if there's a bugfix.....
There won't be any fix, can't be. You need to set car details to max and select DX9, it should work.
We should have stated this in the readme, but honestly we didn't think people in 2012 dont run max details on this old sim. It turned out hundreds of people set just med or high details despite having computers that can run it at 400fps....

Somebody already emailed us that we're doing it wrong, that we should support all details settings.. but come on, unless you have 7 years old machine you can run max details in rf.

Real problem is though if you run windows xp. On this system alfa causes crashes (only alfa). On win 7 all works with correct settings.

Last edited by osellacz; 25 Jun 2012 at 19:30.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3098015)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I ahve no crashes, but I really am struggling to get on with the fatc your head moves around all weirdly!

Very odd method of getting people playing a mod, just made me turn it off to be honest
Old 25 Jun 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3098077)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by osellacz View Post
There won't be any fix, can't be. You need to set car details to max and select DX9, it should work.
We should have stated this in the readme, but honestly we didn't think people in 2012 dont run max details on this old sim. It turned out hundreds of people set just med or high details despite having computers that can run it at 400fps....

Somebody already emailed us that we're doing it wrong, that we should support all details settings.. but come on, unless you have 7 years old machine you can run max details in rf.

Real problem is though if you run windows xp. On this system alfa causes crashes (only alfa). On win 7 all works with correct settings.

I always run max details. I also use Win 7. I'm getting nowhere with this. Still getting texture and global errors.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3098091)   #14
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
@Aysedasi - Did you do a fresh install? That fixed it for me. It only takes five minutes and believe me its worth it...

@chunder - The head movements can be changed by installing alternative cam files - you just install a file included in the download. There is a thread on on the Team Vintage mod forum about this.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3098103)   #15
osellacz
Rookie

Quote:
I always run max details. I also use Win 7. I'm getting nowhere with this. Still getting texture and global errors.
Sorry then, I assumed you didn't, as most people with problems dont run max.
In that case, only fresh install will help. Its a good habit anyway if you intend to run other mods for rf.
Sometimes various mods just dont like each other, the openness of rfactor is its greatest pro and con at the same time..
Old 26 Jun 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3098547)   #16
osellacz
Rookie

Here is temporary fix for the alfa for winxp users http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m91kgy90fkkqar6
Old 26 Jun 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3098581)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Sorry then, I assumed you didn't, as most people with problems dont run max.
In that case, only fresh install will help. Its a good habit anyway if you intend to run other mods for rf.
Sometimes various mods just dont like each other, the openness of rfactor is its greatest pro and con at the same time..

No, it's a real pain. OK, I've only got 4-5 mods on at the moment, so I may in due course just to try this one out, but if I had 20-25 mods as I did until relatively recently, no way would I start from scratch unless it was for a really good sports car mod.....
Old 26 Jun 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3098685)   #18
osellacz
Rookie

Not saying you need extra install for every single mod. I too have one install with 15 mods which dont conflict.
But for this new install is recommended. It takes literally 20min, hardly real pain
Download/copy rf lite. Copy over exe so timelimit is off (you know what I mean with exe..).
Copy over userdata from your old install. Install the mod. Done.

Maybe 10minutes, once you do it for 2nd time
Old 29 Jun 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3099986)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, got it going fine now. (I did do a fresh install). Only turned a lap or two in each of the cars. Find it strange that it all has to be quite so 'gently gently' due to wheelspin. I need to adjust the driving view somehow as it's just too dull and all I can see is the dash. Not convinced yet by any means but I'll give it a decent test. It certainly doesn't grab me in the way GPL did when I first tried it, but who knows......
Old 30 Jun 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3100216)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I've given it another go - and yes, it's quite fun, but 'harder than GPL'? No, nothing like. I find the cars quite easy to drive once you realise that simply flattening the loud pedal isn't particularly useful. The cars are also very nice indeed to look at via a replay but nowhere near as much fun in the cockpit as GPL due to the absence of driver arms - which make all the difference for me.

For me then, a well-made mod which is some fun. But it won't wean me off GPL, I'm afraid.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3100224)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Change the record dude

Nothign ever will be as good in your eyes.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3100256)   #22
osellacz
Rookie

Yeah it's your opinion which I respect Aysedasi - although I also can't get rid of feeling that no matter what we would do you would never be happy.

Interesting you say its not harder than GPL - to me it seems GPL cars have tons of grip. Most simracers can do faster laptimes than they did in real life... it was the most hardcore thing in 1998 but thats a long time ago, it doesnt simulate *a lot* of important things.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3100272)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Yeah it's your opinion which I respect Aysedasi - although I also can't get rid of feeling that no matter what we would do you would never be happy.

Interesting you say its not harder than GPL - to me it seems GPL cars have tons of grip. Most simracers can do faster laptimes than they did in real life... it was the most hardcore thing in 1998 but thats a long time ago, it doesnt simulate *a lot* of important things.
That isn't actually true. I dont support GPL simply for the sake if it. I support it because I truly believe it will take something quite incredible to provide a better sim. And if that dates me back 14 years so be it - I'm a great believer in 'if it aint broke'. I'm not the only one - there is still a very significant hardcore of simracers out there who believe the same. We don't do any harm by doing so, and if we annoy people by reminding them (or letting them know for the first time) how good GPL is, well, that's just tough.

I'm not sure how the physics of the 37 mod has been modelled, but my criticism is the same as all my criticisms of rFactor, in that it's almost all 'much of a muchness'. The only mod that I find any difficulty driving is the CanAms. I find more fun actually racing things like the Meganes.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3100281)   #24
osellacz
Rookie

Quote:
... I'm not the only one - there is still a very significant hardcore of simracers out there who believe the same. ...
I know, that doesn't make it a fact though...
Quote:
I'm not sure how the physics of the 37 mod has been modelled, but my criticism is the same as all my criticisms of rFactor, in that it's almost all 'much of a muchness'. The only mod that I find any difficulty driving is the CanAms.
Much of what? Please try to define, I'd like to hear. This really sounds like "its worse because its worse".

I didn't want to open the can of worms that goes with critisizing GPL but here you go, things that are wrong in GPL from my head:
-there is no tyre wear
-tyre temps hardly matter. Well they do, but if you overheat tyres you can get them back to perfect temps way too easily
-there is no brake fade
-you can run extremely stiff sway bars with hardly any downsides
-primitive aero model, now dont quote on me that but I think real cars had more lift at top speed (but I may be wrong here)

Currently without doubt the most realistic physics *engine* is rfactor 2 beta. However I don't like the particular cars it contains now. But the engine itself is unmatched and makes GPL look like a child's game in terms what all it simulates . But the question is if future mods will be able to take full advantage of it.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3100283)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But that's all blah.... It's how it drives - how you can race - how you can really enjoy a circuit that matters. I drove a race at goodwood this afternoon in the Merc. It was an easy win from the back of the grid. OK, I didnt have the AI 'tuned' right up but they fell off all over the place anyway. I had one small spin. And that's after driving maybe 10 laps prior to today. And I know I'm not particularly good...

Of course anything produced now is going to be way more sophisticated - or at least have way more sophisticated possibilities - than something thats 14 years old. But that doesn't autoamtically make the driving experience better, or more importantly, more fun.

What I and others believe isn't important, I'll grant you that - but it is as good as fact. If I don't enjoy driving a mod, I just won't bother. It's not just a case of your mod - I find virtually all of the rFactor mods affect me in the same way - hence my 'much of a muchness' expression. Maybe that's just me and I'm out on a limb on this. If so, just call me eccentric - I can live with that....