Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2014, 02:48 (Ref:3441101)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
About Formula 1 engines for 2015

Hi everyone,

Maybe this question was answered before, I don't know.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me if the engine suppliers (Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault) will be able to "improve" the current engines or if they will be "frozen" in the development. Not major changes, but simply prepare a second "version" of the current engines with improvements here and there so that the missups of the original designs can be corrected.

Thanks
Old 3 Aug 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3441141)   #2
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they can - each of the components of the engine have been given a weighting of 1, 2 or 3 points for a total of 66 points. They can make changes to components equalling a total value of 32 out of the 66 points for 2015. That will then drop again next year. I'm not sure though if changing the fundamental architecture of the engine is permissible though, i.e. to something like Mercedes have.

Essentially I think the performance difference will close, but Mercedes will still have an advantage. I expect the Honda engine is probably going to be stronger than the Renault and the Ferrari too.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3441158)   #3
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I'm not sure though if changing the fundamental architecture of the engine is permissible though, i.e. to something like Mercedes have.
Rumour has it Renault are researching a Mercedes-esque two part turbo for next season, so it must be possible.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3441355)   #4
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Rumour has it Renault are researching a Mercedes-esque two part turbo for next season, so it must be possible.
A rumour makes it a certainty, how does that work?
Old 6 Aug 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3441791)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Where do you find this stuff ?
Old 6 Aug 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3441813)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Where do you find this stuff ?
Why bother with a rumour, I reckon it would be an unbackable certainty. MB would have known they had twelve months and that is all. What they have to do is either come up with something else or know they can improve the idea beyond the reach of those who are going to use it in 2015 for the first time.
Old 6 Aug 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3441896)   #7
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
A rumour makes it a certainty, how does that work?
I was replying to p-matt's post where he said that he wasn't sure if changes to the fundamental architecture of the engine is permissible. If Renault are evaluating the Mercedes split-turbo concept for 2015, then I would say that fundamental changes to the engines are permissible. If it wasn't permissible, then why would Renault be wasting time and money evaluating it?

BTW, next years Renault engine was fired up for the first time the week leading to the German GP. And rumour has it the engine has gained 50-60hp to current spec. With further improvements expected by years end. It's only a rumour though.
Old 6 Aug 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3441900)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe this helps:

[I]Taffin: "It's going to be frozen by the end of 2019 so it gives the engine manufacturer five years to develop. For sure there will be different levels by the time we get to Melbourne, but by the end of the first year we will already be levelling in terms of power and competitiveness. The scope of changes that we can achieve through the first two winters is quite big. Anything you would have done in a different way you can change for the year after. The idea is that by the time we get to 2019 we should have a levelling as we saw with the V8, but again we will still have the software being developed. The regulations are trying to achieve some much more efficient engines, so we need to fix the hardware first and fit all that technology into the car, and then after we will start focussing on the software and how we use them."

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/s...pkSF0To2GgU.99