Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Aug 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1373999)   #1
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean-Louis Schlesser

Is he still doing rally-raid?

J-LS is oft overlooked when sportscar greats are talked about, but thumbing through various paraphernalia tonight and casting my mind back over the years, Schless was a superb driver.

Is he up there with other top endurance drivers in other people's opinion?
Old 6 Aug 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1374001)   #2
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He still does the dakar in his buggy powered by a ford it kind of looks like a focus now ... (well i think so with the lights). I have much respect for Schlesser for keeping to his word about NOT returning to Le mans after the chicane butchering. The questions about top endurance racers, well I dont know I've never seen any of the videos and such of him racing, (being to young) but he proberbly is overlooked.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1374005)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I think he was. He always tended to be overshadowed at LM because he professed to detest the place, but while he was with Sauber Mercedes, he really was the business, for sure.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1374013)   #4
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
I have J-LS up there with drivers like Oscar Larrauri and Geoff Lees. Superlative enduro racers and bloody quick too, but always omitted from the usual top ten lists.

Indeed I asked Fiona Pearce who the best driver the Lister team has ever had was, and she said Geoff Lees.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1374019)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed again. I think Oscar put in some inspired drives in the 962s. I'll always remember LM 1990 and the disappointment when the engine gave up on Pareja. Oscar and Jesus really deserved that 2nd place.

Lees too. I'll always remember his comments at the end of LM 93. He loved driving those TS010s - even going so far as to describe them as his favourite cars. Always endeared him to me that comment - I loved the damned things too!
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1374025)   #6
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
Moi aussi Ayse
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1374026)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pity about Monza 88 from JLS, eh, Ayse
Old 6 Aug 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1374027)   #8
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
we're talking sportscar and enduro, not go-karts

sorry, the penny has dropped
Old 7 Aug 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1374136)   #9
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Agreed again. I think Oscar put in some inspired drives in the 962s. I'll always remember LM 1990 and the disappointment when the engine gave up on Pareja. Oscar and Jesus really deserved that 2nd place.
Its often forgotten that Oscar Larrauri was quite ill and did not do much driving, Jésus Pareja & Brun did the majority. I really felt for them when the engine let go.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1374140)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Yeah, pity for JLS, eh. K-b.
Old 7 Aug 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1374174)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

Oh yes, that was a great pity. Probably one of Ron Dennis' greatest regrets, I suspect........
Old 7 Aug 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1374196)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Larrauri ..... theres a name from the past . Whats he doing now ? He was some kido !!!
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1374233)   #13
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
Dont know what he's doing.

IIRC his last Le Mans was 94 in a Totip 348
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1374237)   #14
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He does the dakar and other rally raids in a ford powered buggy .......
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1374241)   #15
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
He does the dakar and other rally raids in a ford powered buggy .......

We're now talking about Oscar Larrauri...
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1374245)   #16
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
OOO sorry throught it was still on about JLS
Old 7 Aug 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1374246)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oscar Larrauri was racing in South America in Touring Cars.

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/larrauri/index.html
Old 7 Aug 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1374318)   #18
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Larrauri ..... theres a name from the past . Whats he doing now ? He was some kido !!!
I heard he's into politics (a la Reutemann), and is also involved in cow farming (this dating back to the times when he was racing in Europe)...
Old 8 Aug 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1374667)   #19
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember reading somewhere that Ron Dennis and Gordon Murray came up with the idea of the McLaren F1 after Monza 88... so JLS contributed more to sportscar racing than just driving fast.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1374870)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I remember hearing that Joest offered him a drive at Le mans back in 1990 . They must of thought very highly of him as they were a semi works outfit at that stage . As far as I remember he only ever drove for Brun motorsport .

And now he is cowfarming !!!
Old 8 Aug 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1374886)   #21
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
I heard he's into politics (a la Reutemann), and is also involved in cow farming (this dating back to the times when he was racing in Europe)...
This is correct, Oscar "Popi" Larrauri is now a local MP in the Province of Rosario in Argentina. Same political party as "Lole" Reutemann, the Peronistas.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1374950)   #22
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Remember when people were talking about Stefano Modena as being the next Italian hope? The fact that an ostensibly past-it Larrauri could outpace him blew that one out of the window. I guess people forgot his F3 pace and ignored his stellar role in Brun's World Title.