Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1360643)   #1
Charlie Rabbit
Rookie

Charlie Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car Maintenance

Hi, I'm a complete (girl) novice who's done a couple of track days and would like to get into something like the Fiesta Championship. I've got the cash to buy a car and all of the stuff I need, but the only thing that is stopping me is that I don't know anything about car maintenance, tuning, fixing it when I crash it etc. I don't know anybody who is into cars in that way so I've not got anybody who can help me!

Can anybody give me any advice on how I could go about learning about stuff like that please , I've tried to find a part time college course but there are none anywhere near me!
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1360651)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you are looking at Fiestas, have you spoken to Kevin Shortis, the championship co-ordinator? He will probably know of people who may be able to help you out. Certainly there are teams - such as that run by Pete Daniels - that you could run with but that probably wouldn't be the most cost-efficient way of doing things.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1360751)   #3
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drop me a PM & I'll give you Pete Daniels Number - He runs about half the Fiesta cars !!

He'd be happy to chat to you...
Old 22 Jul 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1360820)   #4
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other championship to think about is the 750MC stockhatch - massive grids and close racing. They normally have about 70 - 80 cars out at a race weekend.

One obvious solution as regards the running of the car is to go out with a mechanic for the duration of the season...

Seriously though, if you buy a good car and get it properly checked and set up at the outset then you should be able to muddle through with the help of your competitors. If you have a look at the 750MC website and speak to Robin (his number is on there) he will be able to put you into contact with a number of competitors who will help you run the car at the race meetings. Motor racing at this level, unless you are going for the championship tends to be very friendly and helpful.

Dont worry about it as nearly everyone started racing exactly like you with no idea how to run a car, but over time you learn how things work.

Have fun
Old 22 Jul 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1360956)   #5
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pete daniels is a great bloke, and I'm sure he'd be only too keen to pass on some advice ( He'll probably sell you a car too ).
depending on what part of the country you live in, have you thought about the track and race series ? Classes from standard roadgoing cars up to Rod Birleys fire breathing monster. and entry fees are probably about half of the BRSCC Fiesta challenge fees.
The track and race guys will be at Brands for the Motorsport News`50th bash, and I'm sure they'd be willing to pass on any advice.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1360989)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Fiesta exponent is Roger Ebdon, who has Fiesta's to suit most championships in the UK, and many of them are for sale.

Personally, I'd go for a Nova. They handle much much better.

And the Track & Race cars series is the "in" championship, almost "Thrash what you nick", with classes to cover most cars with more than three, and less than five enclosed wheels.

Rob.