Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Nov 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2987975)   #1
sam12h
Rookie

sam12h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New mag, Real Race Cars, out December 9th

Many thanks to MagnetON for allowing me to post this.

Real Race cars is a brand new mag, set to hit the shelves on December 9th.
As seen on the cover, there is a huge variety of cars featured, spreading across several makes, models, categories and eras. There are also interviews with a few of the drivers and detailed specifications on each of the 17 cars featured.
We also have an FB group which anyone is welcome to join http://www.facebook.com/groups/realracecars/ and any feedback or constructive input is welcome (both here and in the group).

And if you have or know of any cars that are ready (complete) and that you think we should feature in future issues, please let us know. My email is shollier@expresspublications.com.au and my phone number here at work is (02) 9741 3838 (direct line) if you'd rather your correspondence wasn't public.

Last edited by MagnetON; 18 Nov 2011 at 08:11. Reason: This advert has been approved.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2988501)   #2
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope that's not Mr Champions repainted taxi shell on the cover.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2988550)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
Was thinking that too. If the mag is true to its title, then i'm sure the Brock VK 'big banger' on the cover is the car at the Bathurst museum.

Looks like a great mag sam12h, will definatly be picking myself up a copy
Old 20 Nov 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2989033)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
This looks great! Will be picking up a copy of this for sure.

I like seeing that not only V8 Supercars have been feautured (as interesting as they are) but also other categories too. Variety is the spice of life.

Any plans to feature some GT racers of past or present?
Old 21 Nov 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2989462)   #5
sam12h
Rookie

Oh yes, the Double-05 dilemma. It's a great shame that those involved with HDT tarnished the legacy of their one-two result by selling a car that they'd already donated, forever leaving people to argue over which is which. Given the "passionate discussion" it usually invokes (regardless of who you believe), I'll save the rest of my personal thoughts for a column topic.

Yep rich07, variety is the plan. How about past and present . If you'd like to point us to any you had in mind please do.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2989468)   #6
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I saw the name of the magazine I thought

"hey at last a magazine devoted only to open wheeler racing".
Old 21 Nov 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2989507)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post

*Pedantic hat on* - the name would be Real Racing Cars if that was the case.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2989516)   #8
sam12h
Rookie

Quote:

LOL
It's not quite open-wheel, but you'd appreciate the way I wrote the Radical SR3 feature within it more than most (I said something fairly brave for a mag that has so many tin-tops in it ).

I do plan to hunt down many open-wheelers for future issues.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 06:16 (Ref:2989886)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam12h View Post
Yep rich07, variety is the plan. How about past and present . If you'd like to point us to any you had in mind please do.
Great.

I'd suggest the TLA Diablo GTR driven by Paul Stokell or John Bowe's Ferrari 360GT that were raced in Nations Cup but Im pretty sure the Ferrari is out of the country and no idea as to the whereabouts of the Diablo.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 06:52 (Ref:2989892)   #10
sam12h
Rookie

And therein lies the tricky part. It's easy to think of awesome machines worth featuring, but not so easy to track 'em all down. Luckily I've had some practice though
Old 23 Nov 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2990272)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck with the mag
Old 23 Nov 2011, 04:46 (Ref:2990280)   #12
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunately.....it is! Mr Champion's has the 2 Aussie flags next to "Brock" & "Perkins", whilst the Bathurst museum's VK has the correct singular flag........we all know which is THE 05 so this isn't the time or place to start that old bun fight (again!)

Love the name of this new mag! I have my own pictures file on my PC entitled exactly the same!!!
Just a thought, the mag could also feature stories on "Real Race Tracks" too! You know, the ones that real race cars raced on!.....Lakeside, Oran, Surfers, Amaroo, Warwick Farm etc etc
This would automatically negate venues like the "Paper Clip".......& most definately the "Monopoly Board"........otherwise known as Sydney Olympic Park........or "SOP" for short.

Best of luck, look forward to Dec 9!

Old 23 Nov 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2990292)   #13
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It would be a bad time to release one, I think. Are there any good open wheeler series around at the moment?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2990309)   #14
sam12h
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Good luck with the mag
Thanks Big Trev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran Park Forever View Post
Unfortunately.....it is! Mr Champion's has the 2 Aussie flags next to "Brock" & "Perkins", whilst the Bathurst museum's VK has the correct singular flag........we all know which is THE 05 so this isn't the time or place to start that old bun fight (again!)

Love the name of this new mag! I have my own pictures file on my PC entitled exactly the same!!!
Just a thought, the mag could also feature stories on "Real Race Tracks" too! You know, the ones that real race cars raced on!.....Lakeside, Oran, Surfers, Amaroo, Warwick Farm etc etc
This would automatically negate venues like the "Paper Clip".......& most definately the "Monopoly Board"........otherwise known as Sydney Olympic Park........or "SOP" for short.

Best of luck, look forward to Dec 9!
Well spotted. And that's the exact kind of trainspotting that many race fans do. I'm guilty of it too. Regardless of which is which though (and I'll admit I'll never be convinced either way), the car featured is a genuine HDT machine (wearing built plate HDT COM7), and it did win two Thundersports championships in the UK, a noteworthy achievement in itself.

Glad you like it.
You'd probably appreciate the Catalina Park thread I posted on Street Fords a year ago (am I allowed to put the link to another forum on here?).
And I like your names for the demo derby course that is Homebush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
It would be a bad time to release one, I think. Are there any good open wheeler series around at the moment?
We will do some open wheelers, but probably leaning more towards the historically significant ones.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 02:52 (Ref:2990718)   #15
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Oh yes, the Double-05 dilemma. It's a great shame that those involved with HDT tarnished the legacy of their one-two result by selling a car that they'd already donated, forever leaving people to argue over which is which. Given the "passionate discussion" it usually invokes (regardless of who you believe), I'll save the rest of my personal thoughts for a column topic.

Great way to start your new magazine, a cover which claims a car is the 1984 Bathurst winner, yet you admit there is doubt over the fact.(None in my mind.)

However as I haven't read it yet I shall reserve my judgement and no doubt it will sell well regardless of the facts.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 04:51 (Ref:2991108)   #16
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Great.

I'd suggest the TLA Diablo GTR driven by Paul Stokell or John Bowe's Ferrari 360GT that were raced in Nations Cup but Im pretty sure the Ferrari is out of the country and no idea as to the whereabouts of the Diablo.
sounds like they need a 'where are they now' section (similar to AMC's missing race car articles).
Old 27 Nov 2011, 03:33 (Ref:2991799)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemuscle308 View Post
sounds like they need a 'where are they now' section (similar to AMC's missing race car articles).
Indeed. That section is quite interesting in AMC, trying to find what has happened to racecars of years past.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 03:30 (Ref:2995842)   #18
sam12h
Rookie

I don't see it being my place to tell the members of this forum which is which. I know the members here have done some great work identifying other cars in their subsequent liveries (and sometimes in different countries) based on the smallest clues, so I won't be arguing that it is or isn't 05. What I will say however, is the writer believed it when he wrote it, the owner certainly believed it when he bought and paid to rebuild it, and Brock himself told the owner, TV reporters and magazine editors that the '84 winner was the one that went to the UK. So if it was an untruth, it was Brock's own untruth. I would also like to point out that regardless of which is which, the car featured is undoubtedly an HDT car, wears ID tag COM 7, has an HDT engine, played a part in one of HDT's most important moments in history, and it had a very sucessful career in Europe (starting with back-to-back Thundersports championships). No matter what the truth about it's number in '84, it is a real race car.

And after all of this, please do also notice that there are 16 other cars and four interviews in the mag worth reading.

A "Where are they now?" section is a great idea in principal, but I can see it being tricky, and incredibly time consuming, to execute, just for a single page of content. I also recall AMC being shot down in flames on this forum for publishing one that members of this forum had located six months earlier. Too much time and work to embarrass one's self for the sake of just one page of content in my opinion.

New sub-topic; the mag has had a positive response even before it has gone on sale. Thanks to it being noticed in forum threads like this one, I've already had a number of owners of very interesting machinery contact me. The concept for this mag looks very promising
Old 7 Dec 2011, 02:53 (Ref:2996243)   #19
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
I don't see it being my place to tell the members of this forum which is which. I know the members here have done some great work identifying other cars in their subsequent liveries (and sometimes in different countries) based on the smallest clues, so I won't be arguing that it is or isn't 05. What I will say however, is the writer believed it when he wrote it, the owner certainly believed it when he bought and paid to rebuild it, and Brock himself told the owner, TV reporters and magazine editors that the '84 winner was the one that went to the UK. So if it was an untruth, it was Brock's own untruth. I would also like to point out that regardless of which is which, the car featured is undoubtedly an HDT car, wears ID tag COM 7, has an HDT engine, played a part in one of HDT's most important moments in history, and it had a very sucessful career in Europe (starting with back-to-back Thundersports championships). No matter what the truth about it's number in '84, it is a real race car.

And after all of this, please do also notice that there are 16 other cars and four interviews in the mag worth reading.

A "Where are they now?" section is a great idea in principal, but I can see it being tricky, and incredibly time consuming, to execute, just for a single page of content. I also recall AMC being shot down in flames on this forum for publishing one that members of this forum had located six months earlier. Too much time and work to embarrass one's self for the sake of just one page of content in my opinion.

New sub-topic; the mag has had a positive response even before it has gone on sale. Thanks to it being noticed in forum threads like this one, I've already had a number of owners of very interesting machinery contact me. The concept for this mag looks very promising
Does your article mention that there is some doubt ? Mainly because people read articles & believe whats written & take it as gospel. There is some doubt as to how much of the car's original body has survived as well, research by a prominent Brock forum indicated that it may have been destroyed.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 04:50 (Ref:2996263)   #20
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does your article mention that there is some doubt ?
AutoFiction doesn't...

but then if it did this would mean that the below wouldn't happen
Quote:
Mainly because people read articles & believe whats written & take it as gospel.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 04:44 (Ref:2996844)   #21
sam12h
Rookie

Wait, really? You'd feature a blokes car, then write in the story that trainspotters think the deceased legend who originally built it may have lied to his face? I suppose you'd also expect him to let you feature the rest of his collection in futures issues after that too?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2996857)   #22
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Wait, you'd rather gloss over some doubt to suck up to someone so you can spare his feelings in order to keep writing about his car collection ? BTW he has already had these doubts brought to his attention. As for featuring his other cars be carefull, most aren't what they claim & some are incorrectly presented.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2996872)   #23
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking forward to picking up a copy of this magazine when it comes on sale, and think there is a place for a magazine like this.......

...but to have an article claiming the 'european VK' to be #05, when there is so much actual evidence out there saying otherwise, has the potential to put some readers off, IMO (or at the very least, as mentioned above, people who don't know anything about it will be thinking this is the actual car no questions asked)

To admit in this thread there that "you'll never be convinced either way" about which is which, but state on the cover and seemingly in the magazine that it is the Bathurst winner, is treading on dangerous territory, IMO.

Quote:
Wait, really? You'd feature a blokes car, then write in the story that trainspotters think the deceased legend who originally built it may have lied to his face? I suppose you'd also expect him to let you feature the rest of his collection in futures issues after that too?
By the same token, would you expect the Bathurst museum to let you feature the rest of their collection, given your magazine is seemingly stating they have #25, and not #05 as they believe?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2997269)   #24
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys... You're worse than the guy who told me I had the wrong stripes on my xr6. I get your passion but this guy has put together what looks like a great mag (I'll be putting my money down) and you want to make a martyr of him for publishing someone's opinion.

Lighten up and live!
Old 8 Dec 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2997316)   #25
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just handed over my hard earned to purchase the new magazine. Apart from the main mag, there is a Powercruise mag (not interested) and Holden Horsepower for my sparring partner ''blue''.
Interesting to see that this first edition features 17 race cars which beggars the question, how many editions can they produce before they run out of cars that the reader will be interested in ?
Can't see much reading happening atm as the ''kiwi'' wickets are tumbling.