Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Sep 2002, 17:45 (Ref:372286)   #1
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, not my Mad Max!

FROM FOXSPORTS.COM
~Mad Max and Fukuyama get NASCAR tests

Unemployed CART driver Max Papis recently tested one of NASCAR Winston Cup team owner Travis Carter's Fords at Lakeland, Florida. Carter was enthused by the test and said Papis is "the most dedicated race-car driver I have ever seen."
Papis has a rigorous weight-training program, and Carter would like to put him in a Busch Series car next season, sponsorship pending.~

Why Max, why? I could take the flirting with sports cars or the occasional 24 hours at Daytona races but not stock cars, Max! There will be open seats in CART Max, I promise! Damn you, greedy CART owners who will give some cheap hack like Servia a ride but not my Max! Max got two podiums this year in a pop can on wheels and now it looks as if Max will be going in circles with Billy Bob and Big Ern. Damn you Nascar!

First Fittipaldi and now my beloved Max! I blame this all on Rahal and that damn Miller Lite! If they hadn't given up on Max for wrecking that no talent IRL Kenny Brack out of last year's Championship he'd be feeding Christiano a big fat helping of second place right now!

How can Players spend 10 bazillion dollars on that up tight ass, Jacques Villeneuve who wouldn't sign his child's birth certificate for less than twenty bucks and then nobody pick up fan friendly, always happy to sign autographs, wins in the rain, crashes teammate at Mid-Ohio and ruins Rahal's day Mad Max? What's next to stab me in the heart, my personal favorite, Bonzai PT leaving CART for the IRL to race for Penske again? Rahal deciding his mustache is too big for the CART paddock and trying to get that F1 Jaguar piece of **** out of last place(err wait, he already tried that.) If stinking CART had a purse of over ten bucks for their races maybe I wouldn't have to watch NASCAR, F1, IRL to see all my favorite CART drivers! Ah, **** on it! Maybe Speed Channel will start showing local Demolition Derbys so I can follow Townsend Bell's career. First Moreno retires, then Gil defects, Bell gets fired, The Devil steals the IRL 500 from PT, Team Kool Green shall be no more, now Max with fenders...it's too much for one CART fanatic to take. Somebody get me a bottle of aspirin, my Chris Pook "It'll be alright" plush doll and a stiff drink, Max has left the building!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 17:59 (Ref:372304)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on. Don't lash on Oriol, Kenny, Jacques...

By the way, NASCAR.com only reported Fukuyama taking the test. They really told us about Fittipaldi, and nothing about Max, so I guess he's just not yet a NASCAR driver...

What about the Oriol/Townsend situation? F1-live.com says Oriol is staying, but F1-live is not the greatest source for CART info...
Old 3 Sep 2002, 22:53 (Ref:372575)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a test doesn't mean getting a drive. Although I think it's funny that All American NASCRAP has signed a Brazilian and is now testing an Italian! What will they think of next?

Max is unemployed. I am sure he takes every possible chance to show what he can do. But the last I heard he was going to be driving sports cars next season.

P.S. I love the comment about Jacques being too cheap to sign his own child's birth certificate. Maybe that's why he always backs out of getting married -- to cheap to pay for the wedding license?
Old 3 Sep 2002, 22:59 (Ref:372581)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great post, Gaines. Servia's no hack, but great post nonetheless.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 23:07 (Ref:372592)   #5
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 3 Sep 2002, 23:50 (Ref:372633)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the money to be made in NASCAR these days, I think it's pretty much inevitable that a lot of talent is going to head there. If you're really good, you can earn enough in a few seasons of NASCAR to run a full season in most other series.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 01:35 (Ref:372667)   #7
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, I'm feeling better now

Sorry for my out of control rant today at lunch. I get that way when I feel one of my favorite drivers leaving the CART ranks, not that poor Max had a choice. I only called Servia a hack to poke at the other poster that's always cheering him on. I know how hard it must have been for him to wait on Bell to get thrown out of his car to get a chance to show his stuff again.

The bad part is that I really liked Kenny Brack going into this season but he's really looked unmotivated and lazy this season. I don't know, I just don't think he'll ever materialize as the driver I thought he'd be in CART. I guess us Rahal fans just get used to good drivers leaving, Bobby can't afford much more than Vasser and the way Jourdain scores points each week he may be too expensive after this season. I think I could put on a racing suit and Bobby would claim I'm too expensive for his tastes. I'd race for free cheese!

Anyway, Jacques deserves everything he gets from the American fans. I can understand wanting to go to F1 and taking the big bucks that come with it, he was a great CART champion after all and all great CART champions go to F1(except Gil...WHY GIL, WHY!? STUPID PENSKE!) Anyway, anybody that says 15 million bucks to drive a race car isn't enough gets a big, hardy boo out of me. Only Schumacher is worth that much and more in my honest opinion since he does win more races than the rest of the field put together times five.

That post was strictly for humors sake and I appreciate that some of you got that. I like to think we can make fun of our CART fellows just as much as we can homer for them. The Townsend shot was kind of cheap but it was as much a shot at Speed Channel. I think they would show Demolition Derbys if they could get their hands on the video. Well, I'm putting my little boy to bed, he's got his first day of preschool tomorrow and he's feeling a little scared. I told him he's sure to be a hit with his Back to Back Schu t-shirt I got him this summer. Looks like I should have pre-ordered the Three-peat shirt. Oh well, I'll catch you later. Maybe I'll go crazy on another rumor tomorrow. You never know about silly season, it drives us all crazy.
Old 4 Sep 2002, 07:23 (Ref:372771)   #8
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gaines, Love the post! Jacques, 20 bucks, birth certificate....that's hilarious!
Old 4 Sep 2002, 16:51 (Ref:373127)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ah, I'm feeling better now

Quote:
Originally posted by gaines
I only called Servia a hack to poke at the other poster that's always cheering him on.
confess! Which one of us is "the other poster"?
Old 4 Sep 2002, 18:49 (Ref:373203)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be a good move for him.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 20:15 (Ref:374860)   #11
Joey Jo Jo
Rookie

Joey Jo Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best read today Gains!! I know your pain.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 20:20 (Ref:374864)   #12
Joey Jo Jo
Rookie

Joey Jo Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey lee, Your right if there was even half the money for drivers in Cart as Nascrap we might have seen Jeff Gordon driving open wheel didn't he start as a sprint driver? Also what is Jeff getting per year in Nascar? is it more than the 50 mil offered to that F-1 washup to come to Cart?
Old 7 Sep 2002, 00:06 (Ref:374967)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
"F1 washup" Jacques is not a washup!
Old 7 Sep 2002, 16:18 (Ref:375291)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Indeed, Jacques is as talented as ever. What he lacks is a winning car, and moreso, motivation. But he proved both in Austria and Belgium this year that he's still a force to be reckoned with, when he's in the mood to really race.

Incidentally, Papis has just announced he'll be driving a Ferrari 360 during the 6-hour Grand-Am race at Mont Tremblant. His team should be strong contenders to win the GT class.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 05:32 (Ref:380023)   #15
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max will drive for Penske in the Texas IRL race Sunday.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 11:58 (Ref:380096)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He must really need money badly. I hope he doesn't get hurt.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 14:07 (Ref:380157)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Max, Max, Max!!!

What are you thinking mate? It may be Penske and all, but look at what happened to Gil. Do you really want that to happen to you?
Old 14 Sep 2002, 14:37 (Ref:380180)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Beggars can't be choosers. Max has spent months walking around paddocks holding a "Will Race for Food" sign... He's got to take the offers that come.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 15:48 (Ref:380221)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
He must really need money badly. I hope he doesn't get hurt.
Yeah, poor Max has to drive for one of the greatest racings teams of all time.

I cant beleive you call yourself a journalist.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 16:08 (Ref:380227)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld

Yeah, poor Max has to drive for one of the greatest racings teams of all time.

I cant beleive you call yourself a journalist.
Now _that's_ out of line.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 16:33 (Ref:380231)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, but you cant pass yourself off as a professional if you're going to talk nonsense. If sitting around and giving a very narrow-minded and somewhat race bigoted opinion qualifies as journalism than everyone who's ever posted on a bulletin board deserves a press pass.
Old 14 Sep 2002, 17:06 (Ref:380240)   #22
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yes, but Liz posts here in the capacity of a fan, not a journalist.

Besides, the standards in the racing press are a lot different. There are times it's perfectly acceptable to show a bias, so long as it doesn't obscure the facts being reported.

And the fact is that the IRL's a dangerous place to race... Texas Motor Speedway even moreso.