Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 8 Mar 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2147126)   #1
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Challenge of Kunsan

Just thought it's time for a new challenge.

I had a track design of Kunsan, South Korea some weeks ago. SBF (if I'm not mistaken very much) suggested I should have made it a challenge - and I think he was right. So, here's my challenge:

As you sure know, Bernie has long had the idea of a South Korean GP. The first proposed venue was near a military airfield in the city of Kunsan. The track was never built.

Now, here's your chance! The location is not what it was meant to be, but is that a problem?

Our site looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kunsan.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	19167

The site is 1.1*0.63 kilometers (0,69*0,4 miles)

I don't know what that road-pattern thingy is, looks like some kind of test-track?

If you want to view it in google maps, here's the link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...16093&t=k&z=16

Your task: design a GP track that's at least 4.5 kilometers (2.8 miles) long but not longer than 5.8 kilometers (3.6 miles). All the facilities, including the paddocks, stands and gravel pits must be within the "brown" rectangle. You may use the now-parking-lot part upper left corner.
Please, use as much of that test-track as you can.

Try to connect the track to the public road system thru the south edge - that's where the convoy is probably going to come from.

Any kind of national or club variants are welcome.

As you will find the site is nit really so spacious so to say so you'll have to include quite some corners for sure So, the ultimate challenge is: try to make it as fast a track as possible.

It's y very first challenge so forgive me if I forgot about something important.

bio

PS: I'd be happy to receive non-pedometer designs, but, of course, they are also welcome.

Last edited by bio; 8 Mar 2008 at 22:24.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2147482)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any chance of GPS co-ordinates?
Old 9 Mar 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2147487)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Where and how do i get them?

bio
Old 9 Mar 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2147497)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go to the place on google earth, they are at the bottom left.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2147581)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK:
35.58.02.04 N
126.35.37.04 E

Is that what we're looking for?

bio
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2147637)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Yes, thanks

It just makes it easier to find on apps like Google Earth rather than finding the town and looking for the area at low heights
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2147655)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Here's my entry - it's just 8 metres over the minimum length, I assumed the car parks at the top are out of bounds. It should be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
kunsan.JPG  
Old 10 Mar 2008, 00:14 (Ref:2147885)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since I suggested this would make a good challenge, I should really put my design ability where my mouth/keyboard is.

I did this using the provided image, and only at the last moment checked it's length using google Earth, so with much luck...

The circuit is exactly 3 miles (4.8km) in length and runs predominantly anti-clockwise.

Small sections of the existing track are used, though they have been re surfaced to full track width.

Included images...
Circuit Layout within the designated area
Full Graphic showing Pits, Gravel and Grandstands.

Of note, Spectators sitting in the Grandstands on the outside of the circuit from T11 to T13 have a clear view of the first sector as well as the sections of track nearest the grandstands.
Attached Thumbnails
Kunsan_layout.jpg   Kunsan_Graphic.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2151982)   #9
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have created a 14-corner track that runs counterclockwise and is 2.54 miles long. I quite like this track, as it has a few interesting turn combinations, such as an increasing-radius corner immediately followed by a constant radius corner going in the opposite direction. The track has two straights running parallel to each other. The final corner combination will hopefully allow either passing during the turns, or allow drafting down the main straightaway before the start/finish line. Hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Kunsan, South Korea.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2152001)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only problem would be the lack of run-off at T3. I know it's the second of 2 fairly slow corners, but it's exactly the place where open wheeled cars would trip up over one another, if someone was to brave it around the outside of T2 and lean an opponent off the racing line for the apex of T3.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2152049)   #11
bio
Veteran

Hungary
mandretti,

that's an awesome one. My favourite part is the last two corners plus before and after. That part is great.

And all the rest is

bio
Old 15 Mar 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2152727)   #12
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
The only problem would be the lack of run-off at T3. I know it's the second of 2 fairly slow corners, but it's exactly the place where open wheeled cars would trip up over one another, if someone was to brave it around the outside of T2 and lean an opponent off the racing line for the apex of T3.
Maybe, you move the section south a bit onto the straight running east-west, or is that against the rules?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2152864)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
That's a public road, so it's off limits.

bio