Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Jun 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2703707)   #1
Hursty
Rookie

Hursty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iPhone users at Le Mans

With the ever increasing info and apps available to the iPhone, thought I'd post some info for users that might be of use.

Firstly, discovered a newish app called (funnily enough) Le Mans. If you search for it, it is under the title 'evo's guide to audi at le mans'. As the title suggests, it is quite heavily weighted to Audi, but includes, weather forecasts, live race updates, blogs, leaderboard regularly updated, driver line-up, history, timetable and getting there amongst other things.

Secondly, I have another app called FStream. This is an app that allows you to type in an exact URL and then it buffers so you can listen to your favourite radio station. So last night, I put in Radio Le Mans and bingo! There are some recordings on there at present, but if this goes live during race week, I'll be a happy bunny!

Any finally, there is an app titled ALMS. Self explanatory really.

These apps are all free. If anybody has any other hints or tips, charging iPhones at the race, Wi-Fi, please feel free to contribute.

Mike.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2703717)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
there are several places to charge your iphone at the track but it needs a french or a two pin italian plug .. in general look for distribution boxes.
these will generally have some 380v sockets but also some 220v .. there was one near the Blue Nord campsite .. one just beside the tribune at the start of the S-F line .. plus others

I'm interesting in Wi-Fi too ..

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Jun 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2703755)   #3
Martyn_
Rookie

United Kingdom
Martyn_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My iPhone will have minimal usage at Le Mans!

3G roaming is far too expensive, there's no WiFi (apart from at McDonald's) and using things like that will kill the battery too!

Also, Radio Le Mans prefer it if you load the player by pointing Safari to their website and clicking "Listen live", this will use a distribution server and give you the best feed for your device. It'll also log you as a stat on their website, which is good for them as they can see how many users they've got and what devices they're using. That way they'll be able to upgrade/modify their service based on the users, which should only be positive.

When you do that, it also allows you to multi-task (sort of) the player will keep playing even if you load other apps. I believe if you press the home button while FStream is playing, it'll stop the stream and close the app.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2703954)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I download the EVO Audi App the other day, its not bad. There is also an Audi Sport App which is well worth downloading. I think one or two other apps will pop over the next few days.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2703966)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Never had you down as a gadget geek, Mike! I guess now you know Rob has one you're gonna have to sell it through pure embarrassment?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2703967)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to say I'm with Martyn on this. I'm a recent convert to the iPhone (about 2 months) and now I'd rip the head off anyone who threated to relieve me of it for even a few moments... I'm on O2 and I contacted them yesterday to check on likely data transfer charges in France and they warned me in no uncertain terms that it would cost - substantially. A work colleague today told me that I could get a data bolt-on for £50 but that sounded rather excessive. But I have to work out some way of keeping the fish in my 18 TapFish tanks alive while I'm over there.....

I certainly won't be using it to listen to RLM. Battery life is pitiful compared to my Blackberry, so even though I have one of those emergency charging thingies (which seems to work very well), I'd rather use my separate radio for RLM.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2703982)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, god... another geek!

On the subject of radios... any tips on a good pocket radio for LM? I have a good set of earphones with the MP3 sized jack but I need to pick something up to plug them into. Needs to have good battery life and be reasonably cheap as it'll likely only get used the once. I'm away from early tomorrow morning but back next week and can head into town to pick it up next week if anyone is aware of any bargains
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2703987)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got a cheap (and very small) Creative MP3 player with a built in radio that hasn't let me down in four visits now. Probably obsolete now though. I bought my previous 'Le Mans' radio in Boots (own brand) and that lasted me about 10 years.....
Old 3 Jun 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2704014)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Will probably outlast your shiny iPhone!

I will have a look at the airport tomorrow but, unless anyone has any particular favourites, I will probably just buy the cheapest thing I can find from Poundland or TK Max!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2704040)   #10
Hursty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Never had you down as a gadget geek, Mike! I guess now you know Rob has one you're gonna have to sell it through pure embarrassment?
Just remember Craig it's a long walk/swim/walk back from Arnage!

I bought a 'wind-up' radio from Tesco today. Cost £7 and weighs about a half pound. I know we like to travel light, but quite a good piece of kit. Can run off 2AA batteries and has earphone socket.
Mike.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2704042)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Are you winding me up, geekboy?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2704043)   #12
Hursty
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I certainly won't be using it to listen to RLM. Battery life is pitiful compared to my Blackberry, so even though I have one of those emergency charging thingies (which seems to work very well), I'd rather use my separate radio for RLM.
Know what you mean about battery life, it is woefully poor. Fingers crossed for the new release later this year!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2704138)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hursty View Post

Firstly, discovered a newish app called (funnily enough) Le Mans. If you search for it, it is under the title 'evo's guide to audi at le mans'. As the title suggests, it is quite heavily weighted to Audi, but includes, weather forecasts, live race updates, blogs, leaderboard regularly updated, driver line-up, history, timetable and getting there amongst other things.
Thanks for this Mike, just installed it. Not that much to see yet, but the leaderboard facility looks handy, provided that they keep it updated regularly.....
Old 3 Jun 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2704180)   #14
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
BMW Motorsport did an app for Nurburgring, which is still on there. I'm thinking, given it was called 'Nurburgring Edition', that this will be updated ready for Le Mans.

There was a guy/site who did a page last year that had links to everything, live ticker, leaderboard, the lot. Anyone remember the url in case it reappears this year.

I've got myself down for a Kangaroo TV to try and keep iphone usage to a minimum. Roaming costs for anyone in Canada is stratospheric compared to EU.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2704206)   #15
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys - we use iPhones at all LMS races and have used them in previous years at the 24h and other events. Basically we have two iPhones; two Mophie Juice packs; one True Power battery pack (really long life with the iPhone sells for about $120 here) (another if we can find it Wednesday); 2 Richard Solo charge packs and one solar charger. We take the phones/packs fully charged Saturday as we are at the circuit until the Sunday evening TGV to CDG. Running 200 MB At&T plans on each phone, far cheaper than the overage on the lower plans. With the F1 race being same weekend, I need all the "help" I can get. I use the "Free" iPhone F1 app - far easier than logging into the formula1 live timing site. Don't need to run RLM on the iPhone as we have the 10 euro radios available in the village (substantially cheaper than the iphone). Don't you just love the "techno-toys"?!?