Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jul 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2246904)   #1
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA GT round in Russia

It was announced yesterday,FIA GT is going to step on Russian soil in 2010. The event to take place at 'Eurasia' autodrom which is being built in Moscow. In spite of pompous name the track is going to be rather short and twisted. As it's going to have some altitude differences, it would become a Russian Brands Hatch.
As for me,I think,it's going to be more stupid glamour event rather than real racing. And the track with such a loud name should be placed somewhere near the Urals and have some kilometers of asphalt more. I'll try to post here the progress of building the track. The first 1,7km part of the track will be 'raceable' in the autumn.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2246986)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
A Russian Brands Hatch ..... sounds brilliant ..... might be worth a visit .
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2247038)   #3
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
trust me .. glamour event is much better than nothing

Ciao Marco
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2247043)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How do you mean exactly ?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2247058)   #5
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm worried because it has come up 'from above'. It would be much better if we have some national GT4 racing,and only after several years jump at such a high level of racing.
I think if it goes well and Great Races come in Russia, stands will be full of VIP's and great number of tourists and racing fans from Europe. But there won't be many Russian fans there. Of course,it's a great step for us to have a GT event (still don't know,World champ or European GT2),but I worry something is wrong with the basement,with the idea.
I'll try to popularise Big Races at Russian forums. I've already held a text translation for some forums of Oschersleben race (there's no TV coverage in Russia,but they say 24h of Spa will be on TV).Of course,everybody watched F1 that day...
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2247101)   #6
redunderthebed
Rookie

redunderthebed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi
It was announced yesterday,FIA GT is going to step on Russian soil in 2010. The event to take place at 'Eurasia' autodrom which is being built in Moscow. In spite of pompous name the track is going to be rather short and twisted. As it's going to have some altitude differences, it would become a Russian Brands Hatch.
As for me,I think,it's going to be more stupid glamour event rather than real racing. And the track with such a loud name should be placed somewhere near the Urals and have some kilometers of asphalt more. I'll try to post here the progress of building the track. The first 1,7km part of the track will be 'raceable' in the autumn.
Of course its going to be a glamour event!.This trend started with tracks in Qatar and Bahrain and elsewhere countries with money to spend but with no great motorsport tradition to speak of (not saying that russia doesnt have any motorsport history im just making an example).

Anyway you get to see a series that is of world standard and if it goes well it might attract MotoGP,WSBK,F1 and the alike in the future,so who cares? as someone here said a glamour event is better than nothing.Usually smaller less well known series are guinea pigs for bigger series to come into new circuits/countries.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2247114)   #7
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The event to take place at 'Eurasia' autodrom which is being built in Moscow.
About the track: http://www.apexcircuitdesign.co.uk/news/view/85
slightly larger pic

If I got it right, the circuit will be located near Domodedovo international airport.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 12:53 (Ref:2247115)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
I'm worried because it has come up 'from above'. It would be much better if we have some national GT4 racing,and only after several years jump at such a high level of racing.
Ok helgi ..... But you have had "Russian" interest in GT racing for quite a few years now ..... through Cirtek , Spyker , RWS , and now Reiter to name a few . I think its about time for the Fia GT to visit Russia .

Probably why there isnt a bigger interest is because there isnt a national championship for the GT teams , but this might get bigger ?

What do you think ? Is the interest there in Russia for a GT championship , do you think ?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2247208)   #9
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And the track with such a loud name should be placed somewhere near the Urals and have some kilometers of asphalt more.
GT near Ural? Why not Polar Ring?)))
Old 8 Jul 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2247217)   #10
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
About the track: http://www.apexcircuitdesign.co.uk/news/view/85
slightly larger pic

If I got it right, the circuit will be located near Domodedovo international airport.
Dangerous thing - russian bureucracy is talented in such interdicts and confiscations. They can tell it dangeruos, and national interests suffers and so on. They interdict Red Bull Air Race in St.Peterburg last year in such way.
Although Class 1 Power Boat race in Moscow have took place. So it's not hopeless...
Old 8 Jul 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2247254)   #11
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok
GT near Ural? Why not Polar Ring?)))
Well Norway has the Arctic Circle Raceway (Mo I Rana) which is a great track, would suit GT racing very well actually.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2247469)   #12
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
I think interest has made some steps forward recently. I know a few true fans who gathering all the news,searching for videos of the events and write a huge number of articles on non-formula autosport themes for wikipedia.ru. But they live in Nizhnii Novgorod,Tumen,Khabarovsk. For the last one it would be cheaper to visit an Argentinean round,rather then Russian. The interest should be fed and taken care of. As I say,my friends and I will do our best to popularise Big Races.
As for the teams, I don't know what to say. They've never being talked about like national. I don't know if there's some our stuff there. If there's no Russian engineers and mechanics in GT what for we're going to have an event? Only because somebody has enough money,and other have something to advertise?And it's very difficult to start a racing team in Russia today. Russian business is still very dark case,and bureaucracy machine is working pretty well.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2247480)   #13
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
as you might guess . we're in a similar situation .. so my advice is .. enjoy it in any form it comes right now .. and hope it will raise interest too .. and who knows.. 2-3-5-10 years from now will happen in that department ..

Ciao Marco
Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2247995)   #14
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
I've posted some pictures here to tell you Russia has a Great autosport history in spite of all the difficult circumstances...
Old 9 Jul 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2248179)   #15
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I've posted some pictures here to tell you Russia has a Great autosport history in spite of all the difficult circumstances...
A new sports car, pref. a GT powered by the ZIL V-8 would be MOST interesting. I know they did in the past.
Bob
PS==Some Russian gear-head millionare should put it in a sprint car, and come over to challenge the WOO boys, THAT would amaze MANY Americans.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2248239)   #16
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Well,everything is possible. There's a negotiation of some sort between GAZ and Chrysler. There's a new Volga Siber = Chrysler Sebring of the previous model row. But I think,they haven't dreamt about racing - the main goal is to survive. As for ZIL, it gets worth every day.The last information was they were trying to produce chinese trucks. So, it's hard to imagine there'll be a Russian GT in the nearest future.
But the ideas are flying in the air. But when it comes to finances....
It would be great if a millionare gives some rubles to organize a team of autosport enthusiasts. When I was studying at the Institute I make friends with a great number of talented students who now became engineers. Only few of them went into race engineering. But there're great brains and 'golden' hands. For example,Russian f-1600 chassis Arttech 1607 becomes very competative in Russian+Finland f-3 light series. We have ideas,we have (at last) a track. It should be fed with sponsors attention only...
Old 10 Jul 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2248415)   #17
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Nizhnii Novgorod,Tumen,Khabarovsk.
Nizhni Novgorod? Not a bad place for big race - the third largest russian city, European part of country. And, I hope, there is no city traffic problems, as Moscow has.
Khabarovsk? Too far from Europe, but close to Japan and China. Not a bad place for city race of SuperGT or Asian LMS.
Tumen? West Siberia too far from Europe and Far East. But i've heard Kazakhstan look for auto racing, and it's not far. And West Siberia is oil industry region, they must have more money than other. If Moscow doesn't get all.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2248438)   #18
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
I've heard a track is being built in N.Novgorod. Is it true? And in Kazan. As for Kazakhstan they are building F-1 suitable track now.
The problem is:they say, track ADM future is under the question - there's some claim to get the territory of the autodrom under the State's control. Everything is possible in Russia,as I wrote earlier.