Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2000, 23:04 (Ref:17876)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor old Jenson Button. This weekend, of all weekends, he needed a sparkling performance to prove that Montoya or Junqueira should not be in that Williams in 2001.

So what does he do? Qualifies 18th. Then gets beaten by Gene. In a Minardi. (Until he had a trek across the hairpin).

The final nail is IN, and I will be the first to dance on Spice Boy's grave. Bwa ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa!

Old 18 Jun 2000, 23:32 (Ref:17884)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do have to say that I feel very sorry for the fact that you are always so bitter, Mr Fan. Maybe you were unloved as a child, or maybe it's somehow related to the lack of success of your beloved Minardi team ? Whatever the reason, it is very sad to see in someone so young.

I too would love to see Pablo in the second Williams next season, but I certainly don't take any great delight in seeing any team or driver having a poor run - even if it were Michael Schumi

Then again, maybe i've been around long enough to realise that every time one of those guys steps into the driving seat he is potentially putting his life on the line, and have more respect for them due to this ? I think your comment about dancing on his grave demonstrates that you don't appreciate this fact
Old 18 Jun 2000, 23:52 (Ref:17893)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I'm not gonna lie. I want to see Juan Pablo in Williams next year....but it was so painful to see poor jenson so off pace. I mean....the poor guy only managed to beat Mazzacane although he seemed to have some improovement with wet tyres. A real shame.

And the thing is that not only is his seat at Williams at risk but an F1 drive next year. That would really suck since I personally belive that he's a future F1 star.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 06:10 (Ref:17920)   #4
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Future Star ?????
What is wrong with u guys?????
Old 19 Jun 2000, 08:08 (Ref:17925)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, Downforce.

Future star? He's already there, guys!

Seriously, on a day where a Ferrari and a double world champion in a McLaren couldn't get past a BAR that was nearly 2 seconds off the pace for 20 laps, I really don't think that we can criticise Button's race performance that much.

Qualifying 18th is another matter - that needs seriously looking into. But it's the boy's 8th GP start, and he's still impressing the heck out of me.

And I've been watching F1 ever since Jody Scheckter was the next young hotshoe. I've gotta say, the lad's got it.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 10:27 (Ref:17941)   #6
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MinardiFan -

Could you just let me know why exactly it is that you have such a dislike of Jenson please??
Old 19 Jun 2000, 12:23 (Ref:17957)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Jenson Button is a twerp

Now listen. I agree that Jenson is indeed a talented driver and quite possibly a star of the future. HOWEVER: I get SICK AND TIRED of the incessant preaching to him by Jim Rosenthal, Murray Walker, Tony Jardine, the British press and media etc.. etc.. We've had it ever since he was signed by Williams and I AM TIRED OF IT. So, quite frankly, are an awful lot of people. Let him get on with his job, without the continuous droning on about how good he is.

Montoya WILL be in the Williams next year.

P.S I am not at all bitter about the lack of success by Minardi. On the contrary, considering they have a 2 year old piece of junk in the back of their car I think it a success that they manage to qualify. (Due to driver skill and an excellent chassis).

P.P.S I know the comment about dancing on Button's grave was inappropriate - which is exactly why I included it.

Old 19 Jun 2000, 12:47 (Ref:17960)   #8
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem as though they lavish quite a bit of attention on the boy, as though he were WDC. I think Sir Frank finds it all a bit off putting to him and, rightly, feels the photo shoots, TV shows and what all else he has going on a distraction. I don't think Sir Frank questions Buttons abilities or his future potential. Perhaps he feels he needs to focus right now, and, maybe this weekends performance was a wakeup call to Mr Button.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 13:03 (Ref:17961)   #9
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with several of the comments above about JB being a star already.
Williams have a great chance to grow him into a potential WDC of the future by keeping him in the team.
He did well in Canada under the circumstances. Qualifying was messed up by a fuel pickup problem that stopped him giving the engine full revs. In the race he managed to stay on the road when others, with far more experience were falling off it.

Montoya may be better at this point in his career and some short term glory may come Williams way if he drives for them next year. But, it doesn't matter how good he is if the car underneath him is not working.

If he does leave Williams I don't go for all the "learn the trade somewhere else and then come back stuff2. He should go to a team that will develope him and show Sir Frank what he passed up.

As for the Minardi, if it ever gets a decent engine I'm sure that we will see how it really runs. But those guys are doing a great job with what they have at present.

Old 19 Jun 2000, 15:35 (Ref:18036)   #10
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HOWEVER: I get SICK AND TIRED of the incessant preaching to him by Jim Rosenthal, Murray Walker, Tony Jardine, the British press and media etc.. etc.. We've had it ever since he was signed by Williams and I AM TIRED OF IT.
Well then, you better attack the media and leave Jenson Button out of this.
Considering his age and experience and the pressure that's been put on him he's doing a fantastic job.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 15:46 (Ref:18040)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I don't want to see anybdy fail, I too am tired of hearing Button's name worshipped and glorified every waking breath. But the F1 people do seem to seize on a particular person and beat us to death with his name - lask year it was MIKAMIKAMIKAMIKAMIKA and even once Murray went so far as to demand that Other Mika be blue-flagged during a race for position and point, so that his darling could finish higher up the order! I think an older player doesn't read his own press and believe that what those who do not drive say about him matters a hill of beans to anybody but the teenybopper girls who might buy his line of clothing. But a kid that age is in grave danger of being ruined by too much adulation that he does not realise is uninformed and subject to withdrawal at any moment.

Button is a victim of his press releases - but if he keeps on reading them, his career will be a victim of his belief that they tell the whole story.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 23:23 (Ref:18132)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I attack both the media AND Mr. Button himself, who does nothing but play into their hands with endless interviews, mentionings, photo shoots and tv appearances.

By the way, anyone notice how JB speaks in a monotonal, emotionless voice??? Rather like fellow young Brit media sports idols Michael Owen and Tim Henman??? I see a pattern emerging...

Old 20 Jun 2000, 10:15 (Ref:18190)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL TIFS!!!

Minardi fan, you da man!! (I'm a poet and I don't know it)

How come I always end up agreeing with everything you say, no matter how extremist? We need more Minardi fundamentalists around like you.

But wasn't it great to see such equality between Gené and the BMW?? Shows what a corker of a car the Minardi so easily could have been. Next year does not look promising, however my friend. No telephonica, no Ferrari. Feh!

With regard to El Buttinho, BAR seems more and more likley. I think it would be a wise move, now seeing as Jordan appears more stable. Button is a good driver with a lot yet to learn and to proove. I gather the poor performance was due to poor fuel pick-up all weekend that haunted him in qualifying and came back again in the race.
Old 20 Jun 2000, 12:31 (Ref:18218)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
From the Minardi Fundamentalist HQ

I still reckon Button will replace Diniz at Sauber and Diniz will replace Wurz. Benetton aren't ready for JV... yet.

Also, this is not the first time we have seen Gene and El Buttinho scrapping it out. Remember Imola - Gene was blatantly being HELD UP by Button, when the BMW decided to go pop, spilled oil everywhere, and led to an early exit for both the Minardi and the Williams.

And hey, the Ferrari thing could still happen - they want to supply TWO teams with their engines... BRING BACK LUCA!!!
Old 20 Jun 2000, 15:48 (Ref:18270)   #15
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh....I think you've made a Mistake there Minardi Fan. Diniz would never replace Wurz at Benetton.....Unless Briatore want's his "Parmalat millions" but I find it unlikely that Renault would spend a lot of money on a team and hire a pretty "average" driver to drive the car. I think that Diniz will be out at the end of the season because I don't really see any team that could be interested in his money and services....except perhaps minardi...No offense fan but they'll have a lot of trouble next year without the Telefonica money and the money that Diniz has....well....

As for button....I think that with the departures of Zonta and Villeneuve JB will be driving for BAR next year.
Old 20 Jun 2000, 17:40 (Ref:18291)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

LUCA IS GOD.

I must admit, it is plausible for Diniz to be a Minardi diriver next year. Shame, because he is rubbish. Despite what has been said recently, Pedro Diniz is NOT very good. There are better drivers in the lower formulae (which PD essentially bypassed with his £$) who desrve a place in F1 more than he. His "uncomprimising" dealings with PDLR at the weekend proved my point. Arse!

BTW Minardi fan, I've found somthing (at last) I dissagree with you about: STOP DISSIN' DE ARROWS MASSIVE!!! Quality quality team. So there.
Old 20 Jun 2000, 23:34 (Ref:18357)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Hey - I'm pleased to see Arrows doing nicely. Verstappen is one of my 'new' favourites - the guy has guts and talent. (How fickle am I...)

The Diniz and Benetton thing: Diniz WAS SUPPOSED TO go to Benetton for THIS SEASON. However, Sauber would have been a dead duck without his Parmalat money so they kept him on for another season. Renault are not entering F1 as their own team until 2002, and therefore Benetton sign Diniz on a 1 year contract, clearing him out at the end of 2001 to make way for Villeneuve, who will partner Fisichella.

Diniz to Minardi? I don't know. They have Gene on contract, and have just signed up-and-coming star Alonso. However, due to the Telefonica sponsorship being lost, they may have to change their ideas.

BUT... It is not confirmed WHEN they will lose the sponsorship.

Gosh. It's all rather complicated.

:confused:
Old 21 Jun 2000, 02:06 (Ref:18401)   #18
Sharky
Veteran

But....I don't think that Benetton are going to go trugh the trouble of firing and signing a new driver just for one year and the dump him. It's much easier to keep Wurz, who BTW is much better driver than Diniz. Besides, I think that Renault want to start building the team starting next year and they'll need their drivers in the car.

As of Minardi....It looks likely that gene will stay, after all he did bring the team the only point in some years so....But as for Mazzacane. His performance is certanly not the best and as far as I know he sits there because of the money PSN (a latin american sports network in which I watch the F1 races) brings....But I'm sure that Parmalat could offer much more money and a driver that perhaps isn't very good but has a lot of F1 experience.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 09:45 (Ref:18450)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Mazzacane will not drive for Minardi next year. It was a mistake signing him in the first place.

It'll be one of Alonso, Badoer or Diniz.

Gene meanwhile is on a 4 year contract I believe.

Old 22 Jun 2000, 00:30 (Ref:18647)   #20
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully Badoer huh, MinardiGuy. He's one of the most underrated drivers of the 90th.
Old 22 Jun 2000, 03:12 (Ref:18663)   #21
Sharky
Veteran

I don't think badoer will take the seat. He was pretty upset last year when they chose Salo over him to drive the #3 ferrari and since he doesen't want ferrari using his drive as an excuse for not hiring him should one of the drivers get injured or something....he'll want to stay as a tester.

No doubt in my mind that he's a good driver. It was pretty sad to see him retire at the nurburgring last year with the two points in sight but I don't think he'll return to minardi.
Old 22 Jun 2000, 11:29 (Ref:18706)   #22
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
At least Gene got sixth...

Actually he was in 4th when he retired, and would have gained 3 points and Minardi's highest ever finish in 15/16 years.

Old 22 Jun 2000, 11:31 (Ref:18707)   #23
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
But if Minardi get the mooted 2nd Ferrari engine (Sauber have the other) then Badoer would probably be part of the deal.

Old 22 Jun 2000, 18:45 (Ref:18755)   #24
Sharky
Veteran

yeah...he was in third....errare humanum est.

Well if Ferrari gives engines to Minardi then I think that Badoer would take the seat.....but Ferrari supplying 3 teams?? That's not easy to do....But it would be nice to see Minardi with a much more competitive engine.

BTW. Didn't Minardi sign a deal with Lamborghini....like some months ago or did I just dream that??
Old 22 Jun 2000, 20:10 (Ref:18769)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Really?! A Lamborghini V10? Whatever.... Would be nice though! But I do think that a second team having this year's Ferrari unit IS possible (athough unlikley One can always hope, eh, guys?)

As for Diniz: where else has he got to go? Hasn't he fallen out with Peter Sauber? The only reason why anyone would sign him is for the "cheese" money, and Benetton/Renault certainly don't need that..... so who else is skint and looking for a driver??? MINARDI

FORZA FAENZA!!!!!

(BTW Badoer = God)