Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1612488)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yamamoto to replace Montagny?

Well,at least he is Japanese.http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=118474
Old 17 May 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1612499)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can understand it because he's Japanese....but Montagny hasn't done badly! It'd be harsh to take him out, imo.
Old 17 May 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1612500)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pathetic, musical chairs there then this year..what's the point? they gave Ide more then anough chances so why Give Montangy only 2 races?
Old 17 May 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1612506)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although it is unfair to take Montagny out after only a couple of races, I would imagine seeing as Aguri are promoting themselves as a Japanese team, having a French driver is not in accordance with this aim and therefore I can't imagine that Montagny was ever considered for the drive permanantly.
Old 17 May 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1612507)   #5
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least he still has Monaco to show off his talents
Old 17 May 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1612511)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We hope....I'd much rather Montagny (ie better driver) was there than the Japanese guy for national pride and all that - but I imagine they'll change it to Yamamoto.
Old 17 May 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1612513)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Pathetic, musical chairs there then this year..what's the point? they gave Ide more then anough chances so why Give Montangy only 2 races?
Montangy was more of a last minute replacement than anything else. There can't have been many (cheap) drivers with Super Licenses available at the time.

He's got a chance to race in F1 at Monaco, so I doubt he'll feel to hard done by.
Old 17 May 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1612524)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was bound to happen sooner or later - good luck to him - but of course if he turns out to be another Ide then what will this do to the team's reputation.
Old 17 May 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1612612)   #9
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many drivers are teams allowed to use in a season, thought it was recently changed to 4? If so, Aguri had better make sure Yamamoto is up to it before taking the plunge, as this may be the last shot they get at putting a Japanese driver in the second car for this year at least!
Old 17 May 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1612632)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo28
How many drivers are teams allowed to use in a season, thought it was recently changed to 4?
4 drivers per team in a season, although I guess Aguri could claim that replacing Ide was force majeure given that he was stripped of his superlicence?
Old 17 May 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1612647)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Montangy was more of a last minute replacement than anything else. There can't have been many (cheap) drivers with Super Licenses available at the time.y.
He might've been a cheap, last minute replacement but he isn't a bad one.
Old 17 May 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1612661)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Montangy was more of a last minute replacement than anything else. There can't have been many (cheap) drivers with Super Licenses available at the time.

He's got a chance to race in F1 at Monaco, so I doubt he'll feel to hard done by.
I could be wrong, but wasn't he announced as Aguri's 3rd driver a while back, making him the #3 choice, surely..?

And yeah also, I dunno if he'll even get the chance at Monaco at this rate. I get the feeling they'll want to make this transition as quick as possible. I'd love to see Montagny given the chance though, but it's not going to happen.

Selby
Old 17 May 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1612662)   #13
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montagny's Pearl Harbour? *sigh*.

Should it happen, I would suggest as declaration by Montagny to the journalists (being, as you know, an expert in the art of diplomacy): "I shall come back!"
Old 17 May 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1612673)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
Montagny was the third driver, and then he stepped up into the race role when Ide went.

Imo, if they'd had the time, they would've kept his as third driver and found another Japanese race driver - which is what they seem to be doing now.
Old 17 May 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1612687)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby
I could be wrong, but wasn't he announced as Aguri's 3rd driver a while back, making him the #3 choice, surely..?
Yup, he was. I'd completely forgotten about that.
Old 17 May 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1612696)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby
And yeah also, I dunno if he'll even get the chance at Monaco at this rate. I get the feeling they'll want to make this transition as quick as possible. I'd love to see Montagny given the chance though, but it's not going to happen.

Selby
Relax. The team have already said that they will not make any decision about a replacement until after Monaco, which is sensible.

The other drivers are already worried about the dangers of qualifying at Monaco, with slower drivers getting the way, so to let loose a virtual F1 novice in a strange car on that track in particular would be silly. I doubt if the FIA would agree to it.
Old 17 May 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1612763)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think four drivers is the limit, unless 3 of them are unavailable for some reason, so they would indeed be stuck with Yamamoto as long as he is fit to race and has a Superlicense. It's very frustrating for F1 neutrals that the team is insistent on having 2 Japanese drivers; Sato is probably the only remotely F1-level driver the country currently has.
Old 17 May 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1612772)   #18
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the FIA kinda told SuperAguri to drop Ide, could that one be 'a free change' which means they still have 3 changes left?
Old 17 May 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1612845)   #19
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'ts Crazy..........
Does it matter if his Jappanise Or Not, Super Aguri Shouldn't base there descion on a drivers Nationatly. It Should be on skill and the best man for the job
Old 17 May 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1612854)   #20
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
I'ts Crazy..........
Does it matter if his Jappanise Or Not, Super Aguri Shouldn't base there descion on a drivers Nationatly.
Why not? Their entire budget seems to be based around being a Japanese team.

It's no different to certain drivers being backed by large companies from their home country and getting seats purely on their nationality. Red Bull and Austrians for example.

Quote:
It Should be on skill and the best man for the job
Advancing through the ranks of motorsport has never been based purely on ability. Is it right? Possibly not, but it's the system we have.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1612855)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, that's the end of Montagny's career then.

Hardly earth shattering news though, it was to be expected. Suzuki made no secret of the fact Montagny was only a stand-in.

Franck did OK though, in the time he had.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1612901)   #22
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
I'ts Crazy..........
Does it matter if his Jappanise Or Not, Super Aguri Shouldn't base there descion on a drivers Nationatly. It Should be on skill and the best man for the job
They do...they've never hidden the fact they're the Japanese team.

Look at the drivers in F1 - as has been discussed soooo many times before, they're not the top 22 drivers in the world.
Old 17 May 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1612975)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Wonder whether Montagny could sue for racism...

Yamamoto would be better than Ide HOW? 10th in Formula Nippon in 2005 and 7th in Jap F3 makes him even less qualified than Philippe Adams.
Old 17 May 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1613033)   #24
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame to see Montagny forced out so soon but I feel it was inevitable. Still at least Yamamoto showed well last year in Japanese GP practice.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 18 May 2006, 05:06 (Ref:1613144)   #25
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Red Bull and Austrians for example.
Or indeed, American
Franck will still have a testing oppotunity with SG, he is young enough and people will still notice him, so the career is no worse than when he left Renault.