Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 3 Dec 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1476349)   #1
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray Hanna

Very sad news today, Ray Hanna has died suddenly. While not a driver his passing will strike a cord with all those who have seen him flying at Goodwood in recent years in his Spitfire.

http://www.ofmc.co.uk/
Old 3 Dec 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1476376)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news; a truly amazing pilot and one who had the courage to go on flying and entertaining us after the appallingly tragic loss of his son, Mark. I saw Ray (and Mark) flying many times at Duxford as well as at Goodwood. A spectacular flyer and entertainer, I believe that he had just, or was about to, return to New Zealand to enjoy a more relaxing and retiring life. He surely deserved it and it is so sad that he was unable to do so. He will be sorely missed. Thank you Ray for all the wonderful displays. RIP
Old 3 Dec 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1476392)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So sad to hear this. It was thanks to him that I was once able to look down on the top of a Spitfire as it flew along the Goodwood Revival startline. And I was only standing on the roof of a single story building. It may have earned him a telling off from the CAA but at 70+ I believe that he managed to live with that.

Quote:
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
and danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings. . .
Jim
Old 3 Dec 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1476430)   #4
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray will be sadly missed not just at Goodwood but through out the display world - RIP Balders
Old 3 Dec 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1476433)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A very sad loss. I've never seen anyone who could chuck a Spitfire around like he could (apart from Mark of course).

RIP
Old 4 Dec 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1476854)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad news. I got to see him a couple of times and from all the stories he was a bit special to say the least. RIP Ray.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1476979)   #7
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news. RIP Ray.

Seeing Ray Hanna glide the OFMC aeroplanes around the sky was a wondererous sight.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1476986)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad news.

I had the pleasure of seeing him fly a few times at Duxford.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1477352)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad news indeed. Ray's were always among the most entertaining of air displays. So sad that his retirement was so short. RIP.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1478109)   #10
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The photo at the bottom of the OFMC page sums him up - thanks for the memories - to you both
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1478224)   #11
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad to hear this.

I've been to every Goodwood Revival and watched in awe through every air display. What he did with the Spitfires was simply breathtaking.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 18 Dec 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1486126)   #12
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news. I saw a report on his funeral on the local news. He was buried beside his son. But what a fitting tribute; a Red Arrows and Spitfire fly past.
Goodbye Mr Red Arrows you will sorely missed.

Steve B

"I could see his bl***y eyes!" - Lord March Goodwood '98
Old 3 Jan 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1493980)   #13
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I got a cracking bit of footage of Ray or his son "buzzing" Alain De cadenet.

Not sure i can post it because of the colourful language. Pity, because its really impressive.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1494095)   #14
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
I got a cracking bit of footage of Ray or his son "buzzing" Alain De cadenet....
I know the clip you mean, it was the opening to the BBC show "airshow" (or something similar). Got it on my PDA, great as Alan isn't quite expecting Ray to be so low.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1498416)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok guys, following discussion in the staff forum, we have decided to post the link. It does carry a big health warning over foul language though, so those of you who don't want to hear, either don't go there, or keep the sound down (that would be defeating the object, though). Alain De Cadanet's verbal response is understandable but I think that this short clip tells us all about Ray's flying, and why we held (and still hold) him in such high regard and affection. As such, and with no disrepect intended, in fact quite the opposite, it is a fitting tribute.

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogalle...fire%20pass.wmv
Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1498460)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Ok guys, following discussion in the staff forum, we have decided to post the link. It does carry a big health warning over foul language though, so those of you who don't want to hear, either don't go there, or keep the sound down (that would be defeating the object, though). Alain De Cadanet's verbal response is understandable but I think that this short clip tells us all about Ray's flying, and why we held (and still hold) him in such high regard and affection. As such, and with no disrepect intended, in fact quite the opposite, it is a fitting tribute.

Fantastic Video, thanks for posting the link. I remember seeing Ray perform at the Biggin Hill airshow when I was a lad. In those days they were allowed to drop into the valley a the top of the runway and 'buzz' the crowd coming out at the last moment. It was quite the most spectacular flying display I have ever seen and I remember it to this day.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1498482)   #17
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Link does not work for me,is this the one ?

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/oh_my_god.htm
I'll never forget Goodwood Revival 98
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1498488)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, Grandslammer, it's the same! I think there are a few ways to access it.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1498523)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ray was an unbelievable pilot, those low passes were something else.
Sadly something we will see less and less of, due to the nanny state safety police.
I'm pretty sure Ray would not have thought too much of them either. An example was his last Goodwood last September. For the first time the crowd were not allowed in the areas near to or under the display, ironically the passing of this hero goes as these regulations come in.

I wonder if one of these is Ray in this Jeff Bloxham photo from the British GP at Brands Hatch in 1978? He was of course the leader of the Red Arrows for many seasons. Not the safety worries in those days with the crowd ( and valuable F1 stars) very near to the classic 450mph head on 'cross over'. Heart in the mouth stuff for the pilots and the crowd which is what it is (or should be) all about. Motorsport too.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1498588)   #20
jase
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Sadly something we will see less and less of, due to the nanny state safety police.
I'm pretty sure Ray would not have thought too much of them either. An example was his last Goodwood last September. For the first time the crowd were not allowed in the areas near to or under the display, ironically the passing of this hero goes as these regulations come in.
The rules were changed when the Fleece Triclori had a big accident at the Paris Air Show. All display rules were tightened. It meant that we lost the real low passes etc, but we could still see these skilled peope putting the planes through their paces.

Quote:
I wonder if one of these is Ray in this Jeff Bloxham photo from the British GP at Brands Hatch in 1978? He was of course the leader of the Red Arrows for many seasons. Not the safety worries in those days with the crowd ( and valuable F1 stars) very near to the classic 450mph head on 'cross over'. Heart in the mouth stuff for the pilots and the crowd which is what it is (or should be) all about. Motorsport too.
Andrew, the 2 Gnats in the photo would be Reds 6 and 7 - the Synchro Pair.
Ray would have led the whole display flight as Red 1.

Ray took the disciple learnt in the RAF over to the Spitfires/Mustangs etc of the OFMC, which made them - imo - the best in the world
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1498650)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I've been to quite a few airshows and saw Ray fly on a number of occasions. Modern aircraft are an exercise in brute force overcoming gravity, the older aircraft such as the Spitfire, Hurricane and Mustang have character, sound superb and are truly majestic in flight. It was Rays ability to make these aircraft seem alive that made him stand out as a pilot, some of his routines in the Spitfire were nothing short of art.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1498652)   #22
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The link seems to be broken, http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...ire%20pass.wmv
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1498655)   #23
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See post 17......
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1498685)   #24
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
See post 17......
Oops, didn't see link up there. I still had an interesting time going through the videos on that site.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1498715)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

An amazing photo - I was there that day, as my Dad had got tickets for hospitality in the stewart suites- we were on the top floor an we were actually looking down at the planes