elios should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus?

From Spain.
Do anyone know something about Lotus?
Old 26 Oct 2001, 16:07 (Ref:165894)   #2
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Condensed version – started by Colin Chapman, one of most successful teams of 60s and 70s (world titles for Jimmy Clark, Graham Moss, Jochen Rindt, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti), started to suffer in 80s (despite giving Senna his first taste of victory), completely disintegrated in 90s. Some of the biggest names in sport have driven for Lotus at one time or another, including Hakkinan, Peterson, Piquet and the world championship drivers named earlier.
Old 26 Oct 2001, 17:33 (Ref:165931)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zealot
Graham Moss
I am sure this is just a typo, and it would be obvious to most, but that should be Graham Hill.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Elios!

Last edited by R; 26 Oct 2001 at 17:34.
Old 26 Oct 2001, 17:38 (Ref:165934)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LOTUS - BRABHAM - TYRRELL

My all-time fave teams...
Old 26 Oct 2001, 18:02 (Ref:165943)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The loss of Lotus - for me, one of the saddest things to happen in motorsport in the last decade or more. If you can, get hold of a copy of Jabby Crombac's book about Colin Chapman (I've lent it to someone and I can't remember if it is just "Colin Chapman" or "The Coin Chapman Story"). It's a fascinating read.

I know a lot of people will think back to the days of Jim Clark, Graham Moss (!), Jochen Rindt and the like, but for me, when I think of Lotus, I always conjure up a picture of a black and gold (or yellow) machine with a yellow, green and black helmeted figure in the driver's seat.

Old 26 Oct 2001, 18:34 (Ref:165956)   #6
zealot
Racer

Of course, Graham Hill, my mistake …

Is it true that Colin Chapman was facing legal difficulties before his untimely passing? I have read that he was very close to being pulled into the DeLorean lawsuit.
Old 26 Oct 2001, 18:48 (Ref:165963)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So I believe. Crombac's book astutely avoids references to any dubious dealings.....

Old 26 Oct 2001, 19:16 (Ref:165973)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What made the demise of Team Lotus so sad was the way in which they went out. Towards the end of their existence they were hardly a class act.

The unfortunate Alex Zanardi drove for them as well.

Colin Chapman was involved in the DeLorean operation because the chassis was a Lotus design (albeit very similar to the Esprit). Was Chapman involved in Mr. Z's cocaine retail business?
Old 26 Oct 2001, 19:20 (Ref:165978)   #9
zealot
Racer

I hadn't heard anything about drugs … but I had heard that Colin had a hand in the money DeLorean was syphening from GM.

In the last days of Lotus F1 (pay drivers and all), it was Lotus in name only, having nothing to do with Lotus Sport.
Old 26 Oct 2001, 22:20 (Ref:166076)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This, I will never forget...
Old 26 Oct 2001, 22:46 (Ref:166082)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Colin Chapman was a genius in design, and when he introduced the monocoque tub into F1 in 1963/4, and bolted the engine to the rear of the tub and then the suspension to the engine, it stunned the F1 fraternity. This was at a time when Cooper had tubes sticking out to the rear of the car which served no purpose. If it wasn't for the fragile nature of his cars, Colin would have totally dominated F1 then.
Old 27 Oct 2001, 00:26 (Ref:166110)   #12
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read a article in Auto Action that BAR will be Team Lotus as from the start of 02 . has anyone else read this?
As Proton owns Lotus cars could this mean something is happening with Proton coming into F1 ? another make would be great plus it would be great to have BAR/LOTUS move up the ladder giving JV a car he deserves
Old 27 Oct 2001, 06:42 (Ref:166142)   #13
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps with the Malaysian link, anyone remember Minardi- Proton (Lotus???) rumours of Proton buying AMT, in August?
Old 27 Oct 2001, 08:44 (Ref:166164)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proton own Lotus Cars, the road car manufacturer. But they are not linked to Team Lotus. Mr. Hunt (brother of James) owns the name of that. A couple of investors seem to have made a deal with him and BAR to rename that team "Lotus".

That's the story I have heard.
Old 27 Oct 2001, 10:28 (Ref:166178)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Just bring the name back is a start. But many things should be improved.
Old 27 Oct 2001, 11:54 (Ref:166195)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I won't have a bar of this - changing the name won't elevate BAR one single rung. We need to lift the bar, not repaint it!!
Old 27 Oct 2001, 12:53 (Ref:166206)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great though, just to have the Lotus name back in F1. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 27 Oct 2001, 15:13 (Ref:166236)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If that is indeed the case, then it means that BAR have found some extra forms of investment or sponsorship.
Old 27 Oct 2001, 15:46 (Ref:166256)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Although I would dearly love to see the name Lotus back in F1 where it belongs, just chucking it on a BAR doesn't really fill me with too much enthusiasm!

Old 27 Oct 2001, 17:13 (Ref:166280)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
But Team Lotus Honda does sound quite nice doesn't it?
Old 27 Oct 2001, 17:20 (Ref:166287)   #21
R
Veteran

Took the words right out of my mouth there, Stephen. Sounds very nice indeed...
Old 27 Oct 2001, 19:13 (Ref:166331)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
But Team Lotus Honda does sound quite nice doesn't it?
I have heard that before...

1988/1989 :

Last edited by Bononi; 27 Oct 2001 at 19:41.
Old 28 Oct 2001, 03:36 (Ref:166449)   #23
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I won't have a bar of this - changing the name won't elevate BAR one single rung. We need to lift the bar, not repaint it!!
I agree Valve paint won't do it . after the name change 1st thing to do is kick that HONDA as far away from the car as possible bring on the LOTUS unit or PROTON unit it could be anything but a improvment
Old 28 Oct 2001, 07:25 (Ref:166475)   #24
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Malaysian Minardi Proton(Asiatech)...(could that be rebadged Lotus?)rumours?
Old 31 Oct 2001, 11:11 (Ref:167842)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the rumours are just David Hunt's annual claims that Team Lotus will be back in F1. He has wheeled this one out for at least the last 3 years to no effect.

Classic Team Lotus run by Clive Chapman is still based at Hethel and runs ex-F1 Lotus cars for wealthy businessmen in the FIA Classic F1 series and other historic races.

Team Lotus was always a pale shadow of its former self without Colin Chapman, so just sticking its name over a 'false' team in an attempt to give it racing heritage is pointless.

Unless Team Lotus is properly resurrected, as a pure race team, which I think David Hunt will not achieve - it will only ever be a weak branding exercise -if anything happens at all.

In terms of the Delorean affair, I seem to remember that the funds were actually 'pro-cured' from the British Government, who had pumped money into the project in a desperate attempt to rejuvinate the Northern Ireland economy and provide some much needed jobs.