Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Dec 2007, 06:46 (Ref:2080316)   #1
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hamilton walks on water - or does he?

Lewis Hamilton is a superb racing driver. But as far as I’m aware he cannot walk on water. What I saw on BBC’s Top Gear was the equivalent of that! We saw Hamilton, on a wet track do a rather scrappy lap, which looked to be somewhere around Mark Webber’s wet time at best. Then Jeremy announced it to be equal to (the very smooth) Jenson Button’s dry time and only .03 secs. slower than the Stigs time also in the dry! Smoke and mirrors stuff surely?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 06:57 (Ref:2080320)   #2
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, saw it too. Cool episode.

When you think about it, it seems kind of unlikely. I'd like to think it's true simply because I'd hope that Top Gear wouldn't do something like that.

Last edited by Kai; 3 Dec 2007 at 07:06.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:01 (Ref:2080340)   #3
quantic
Rookie

England
In the ghetto
quantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought i saw on the credits that James Allen was doing the stopwatch..
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:09 (Ref:2080416)   #4
rpj
Rookie

rpj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope Mr Clarkson reads this forum and can post a reply?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:25 (Ref:2080435)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool stuff ain't it?

It's always good to hear stories about drivers doing amazing things, and i'm not too keen on the comparison between Hamilton vs Stig, but that how Hamilton compared to other F1 drivers and setting better times in the wet.

Soon, we'd start hearing rumours of Hamilton racing in DTM or WTCC or something!

A talented driver is one who can drive strongly in anything with 4 wheels and a motor, and always push to achieve the most out of it.

Even when he's just having fun.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2080441)   #6
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its impossible to visually judge a lap of that track as they only have one camera (apart from the in car and fixed trackside ones) which has to film at different parts of the track whilst the driver does a series of laps - so you never actually see 'the' lap.

But yeah - faster on a wet / greasy track than button was on a dry one? In an identical standard saloon car? Two words:

NO. WAY.

Something not right there.

Either Lewis had a 'proper' set of tyres on or Chevrolet is churning out cars with massive variations in performance. or they were lying.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:37 (Ref:2080449)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy
and only .03 secs.
They only work to the nearest tenth on TG. Was it 0.3s?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:47 (Ref:2080459)   #8
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We saw Hamilton, on a wet track do a rather scrappy lap
Makes you wonder what a tidy lap would have been - and what he might achieve in the dry! I look forward to it.

I guess the only way to satisfy some critics would be to have a Ferrari driver try the same thing on the same day in the same car - with independent, profesional timing.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2080462)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd be amazed if anyone took this comparison as serious means to evaluate a driver's capability!

I can still recall some grunts made when Heikki won the ROC ahead of MS, or when MS lost a race against a fighter jet.

It's all in the name of good fun, and we should just have more of it without placing too much emphasis on the result.

Or will someone come along and claim that all those F1 drivers who lost to the Stig should retire?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:57 (Ref:2080468)   #10
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let us not forget that the other times were set in the old Liana. And Lewis' was done in the "faster" Lacetti.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 09:59 (Ref:2080470)   #11
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
I'd be amazed if anyone took this comparison as serious means to evaluate a driver's capability!
Of course not - it's just a bit of fun. Just like the GP drivers kart race they used to have once a year - maybe still do?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:02 (Ref:2080475)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
let us not forget that the other times were set in the old Liana. And Lewis' was done in the "faster" Lacetti.
I thought it WAS in the Liana.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:04 (Ref:2080477)   #13
Roddas123
Rookie

Roddas123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
I think that I am right in saying Lewis drove the old Liana like the others.... As for 'fudging' his time, I don't think that they would be allowed to. Especially in light of all of the current TV issues regarding honesty.

I think we just might have to admit - 'the kid's quick!'.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:09 (Ref:2080483)   #14
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think this is being overanalysed just a bit too much. I can't see why anybody would feel the need to alter the time - at the end of the day this is Top Gear, not a Grand Prix. Perhaps he was just rather quick...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:21 (Ref:2080490)   #15
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's certainly possible, Remember the Legend of Gilles Villeneuve circulating
11 seconds a lap faster than the next fastest person during a wet practice once. (I must admit I have since heard this was actually a Lie embelished through Chinese whispers Gilles was infact only 9 seconds a lap faster )

Either way Lewis' performance was astonishing
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2080496)   #16
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the lap is on a certain video hosting site now.

and yip - tis the old Liana - theres no gold Chevrolet badge on the front.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2080520)   #17
matchfacts
Rookie

matchfacts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Liana was brought out of retirement specifically for comparison to the other F1 "stars".

I don't believe the bbc would risk not giving a genuine time at the moment - that would be like naming a Blue Peter cat something other than the winning name in a phone vote!

When Button did his lap, Clarkson asked him about the different lines he took to Stig's recommendations to the stars. Button commented ". . well Stig obviously isn't a F1 driver is he?" How did Button's lines compare to Hamilton's?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 11:09 (Ref:2080525)   #18
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Top Gear is aimed at prepubescent schoolboys and the presenters act accordingly, I really don't think anything out of that program can be taken seriously.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2080537)   #19
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
They only work to the nearest tenth on TG. Was it 0.3s?
Apologies and congratulations AdamAshmore you are correct. The last time I was wrong was in 1975 I think!
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:14 (Ref:2080568)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was in the old Liana, but it did cross my mind that it may not have been the same Liana that some of the others used - they've managed to wreck a couple of them. So who knows, maybe it's a few tenths quicker?

I don't think there's anything underhand going on here ... just a great lap from Lewis. I know these F1 guys are competitive and all, but I really don't think they've all taken it that seriously.

Hamilton's line in turn 1 was closer to the Stig's apparently.

Be interesting to see if they let him come back for a dry run!
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:18 (Ref:2080571)   #21
clioracer
Rookie

clioracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lewis Hamilton is a superb racing driver. But as far as I’m aware he cannot walk on water. What I saw on BBC’s Top Gear was the equivalent of that! We saw Hamilton, on a wet track do a rather scrappy lap, which looked to be somewhere around Mark Webber’s wet time at best. Then Jeremy announced it to be equal to (the very smooth) Jenson Button’s dry time and only .03 secs. slower than the Stigs time also in the dry! Smoke and mirrors stuff surely?
You don`t seem to "like" him then?
I find this Hamilton mania amusing and a little familiar, bring him back in the summer i say!
watch the re-run tonight...or tomorrow........ Fair and square!

Last edited by clioracer; 3 Dec 2007 at 12:22.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2080577)   #22
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
As Top Gear is aimed at prepubescent schoolboys and the presenters act accordingly, I really don't think anything out of that program can be taken seriously.
Well, I'm not a prepubescent school boy, neither is my partner, and neither are any of the people I work with, or talk to, and they all think this programme is a right laugh - certainly better than some of the so called comedy progs we get on TV nowadays.

Whilst it's not all serious, it does have its moments, and I certainly wouldn't tar it with the brush you are wielding!!

As to the lap - very impressive indeed (but I'm sure all the Hamilton haters will think it a setup - I'm not sure it's actually possible to do anything to prove Hamilton is a gifted driver to these people). As was the section with Richard Hammond driving an F1 car. That should get a few people thinking...all those who say how hard can it be....!!!

I even enjoyed the interview with James Blunt (His parrots a ****)!!

James

Last edited by JamesH; 3 Dec 2007 at 12:27.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:37 (Ref:2080587)   #23
clioracer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Its impossible to visually judge a lap of that track as they only have one camera (apart from the in car and fixed trackside ones) which has to film at different parts of the track whilst the driver does a series of laps - so you never actually see 'the' lap.

But yeah - faster on a wet / greasy track than button was on a dry one? In an identical standard saloon car? Two words:

NO. WAY.

Something not right there.

Either Lewis had a 'proper' set of tyres on or Chevrolet is churning out cars with massive variations in performance. or they were lying.

Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:38 (Ref:2080590)   #24
clioracer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
Well, I'm not a prepubescent school boy, neither is my partner, and neither are any of the people I work with, or talk to, and they all think this programme is a right laugh - certainly better than some of the so called comedy progs we get on TV nowadays.

Whilst it's not all serious, it does have its moments, and I certainly wouldn't tar it with the brush you are wielding!!

As to the lap - very impressive indeed (but I'm sure all the Hamilton haters will think it a setup - I'm not sure it's actually possible to do anything to prove Hamilton is a gifted driver to these people). As was the section with Richard Hammond driving an F1 car. That should get a few people thinking...all those who say how hard can it be....!!!

I even enjoyed the interview with James Blunt (His parrots a ****)!!

James
Here Here!
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:58 (Ref:2080600)   #25
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddas123
I think we just might have to admit - 'the kid's quick!'.

Sorry mate, but your naivety is showing! We are not talking about Hamilton against some up and coming club drivers. The likes of Button and co are up there – trust me. He didn’t just cream them..... he pulverised them. And that kind of superiority DOESN’T HAPPEN. Fishy, fishy, fishy!