Closed Thread

Old 12 Oct 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2559537)   #1
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "Howlers" thread

Recently I have seen a couple of howlers, I don't want to name the circuit, post or date but I recently witnessed a double waved yellow for a car having spun and being pushed to safety in a gap of traffic of over one minute and even better a waved yellow being displayed for a car in the tyre wall 10 metres before the post! Hopefully it can be put down to 'end of the season syndrome', any other takers?

Bladders..................
Old 12 Oct 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2559630)   #2
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
Recently I have seen a couple of howlers, I don't want to name the circuit, post or date but I recently witnessed a double waved yellow for a car having spun and being pushed to safety in a gap of traffic of over one minute and even better a waved yellow being displayed for a car in the tyre wall 10 metres before the post! Hopefully it can be put down to 'end of the season syndrome', any other takers?

Bladders..................
I put out a waved yellow for a cone in the middle of the circuit (on the exit of a corner) recently, which with hindsight probably required a surface hazard flag instead. Does that count?

Also, at a recent meeting, there was some discusson on our post as to how the next post up was able to put a red out so quickly after we all heard the call go out on scanners. To be fair to that particular post, they may have been able to see the start line or its preceding post, but there wasn't enough time for it to have gone all the way round the other way.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2559751)   #3
Pete LMC
Racer

England
Crosby Liverpool
Pete LMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another perfect example of why a Flag Marshal should " Not React to What They Hear On a Scanner "
Old 12 Oct 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2559786)   #4
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guiness I would have done the same as the surface was not affected and on object is a hazard that needs drivers to slow a little before an accident happens. SO you were correct in my view to do that.

1 I have seen recently was a car miles away from the edge near the circuit vehicle so well safe and the post waving a yellow for it!!.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2559819)   #5
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw a waved oil flag recently. There was also a potentialy dangerous situation where the SC was scrambled, yellows & boards went out, apart from one post who saw a yellow at the previous post & put out a green!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2559834)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I saw a waved oil flag recently.
Your point being. . ?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2559867)   #7
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Your point being. . ?
To quote the rules:-

c) Yellow flag with red stripes:

This should be shown motionless to inform drivers that there is a deterioration of adhesion due to oil or water on the track in the area beyond the flag.

I first thought the waved oil flag was a red!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2559880)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
To quote the rules:-
I don't know which set of "rules" you're working to, but I consider the Blue Book to be fairly authoritative. Take a look at G.80(h)!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2559885)   #9
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I don't know which set of "rules" you're working to, but I consider the Blue Book to be fairly authoritative. Take a look at G.80(h)!
For those of you unable to remember your blue book off by heart... that rule reads

G.80(g) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Stationary: Slippery
surface ahead
G.80(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent

http://msauk.org/site/cms/contentvie...sp?article=646
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2559889)   #10
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
doing the Kryten bit

(g) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Stationary: Slippery
surface ahead
(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent

What is the point of this thread? - as the old saying goes - the easiest incident to deal with is the other post's.
Neither do I welcome TV armchair critics.
Corrective action should be made at the time, not cast up years later.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 12 Oct 2009 at 15:21. Reason: stig beat me to it doh!
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:20 (Ref:2559892)   #11
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
I was looking at flag-marshal.org.uk and also discussions with other marshals. To be honest, the blue book always seems daunting to me!

In all seriousness, I've always been told that the oil flag should never be waved, even under FIA rules, so I'm suprised by your post. However, me being a relative newbie I will bow down to your superior knowledge (and try and decipher the blue book)!

Just read the other posts-thanks everyone!

Last edited by Steven Humphrey; 12 Oct 2009 at 15:25. Reason: saw the other posts
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2559896)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Aha - the "taking what I read on an internet site as being the whole truth" problem.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2559902)   #13
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent
Does this mean that a competitor's engine is just about to blow up?
Old 12 Oct 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2559911)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG View Post
For those of you unable to remember your blue book off by heart... that rule reads

G.80(g) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Stationary: Slippery
surface ahead
G.80(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent

http://msauk.org/site/cms/contentvie...sp?article=646

Provided, of course, that you're at an event that is subject to the "blue book".