Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Sep 2008, 23:31 (Ref:2284191)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Names on window for endurance races!

i f there is another thread on this already from earlier in the year it can be merged but i cbf looking for it.

well i decided to tape RPM yesterday while i was at MCM and came home and watched it, only reason i taped it was to see if they had a PI preview and they did. part i found interesting was the names on the back door window, i knew they were going to be reduced in size but FMD they are almost impossible to read standing still let alone at speed, i thought maybe reduce both the number and names would be a good compromise. i know we know who belongs to what number but for the casual viewer it would be hard to findout.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 00:14 (Ref:2284215)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now what your suggesting would be too logical.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 02:37 (Ref:2284280)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a thought, put the numbers back on the doors so the driver names can be enlarged in the rear windows
Old 8 Sep 2008, 04:00 (Ref:2284297)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
agree racer i might be young but i am a bit of a trditionalist and i like the number on the dor and name on the window, simple as that. my suggestion above was for now though as i can't see them changing back to how it should be in the near future.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 04:15 (Ref:2284302)   #5
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Pics or ban?
Old 8 Sep 2008, 04:45 (Ref:2284309)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Were you trying to read the names before or after drinking the mandatory 24 cans of beer?.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2285361)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
after 24 i don't think i would know my own name let alone read small fonts on a window of a car.

no pics it was on RPM and i taped it to the hard disk in my DVD now i deleted it so you'll have to wait until Friday.
Old 12 Sep 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2288088)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
what pus they could definatly of had the names atleast a little bigger, i can just read it on a photo let alone on TV:

RNR have managed to keep both names and number full sized it's a little cramed in but still more readable then the other pus the rst of the cars have:
Old 13 Sep 2008, 06:30 (Ref:2288663)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So why can Mr D'Alberto's team manage to put both driver names on the window in legible type, while everyone else needs a microscope?

Surely the font size/type is mandated in the VESA playbook?
Old 13 Sep 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2288814)   #10
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Overall the names are way to small, but we can blame the Black Wiggle for that.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 13 Sep 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2288819)   #11
panel damage
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
panel damage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was not commenting on this subject until I'd seen for myself on Tele. PATHETIC - someone shoot the black Wiggle please.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2289595)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it was pretty poor. a number of teams managed to do it properly ie Bottelo car the djr cars and BOC

surely this is fixable and very easily
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2289608)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i've said previously i prefer the 'old system', but under the current guise does it really matter how big the names are? The car number in the window is big enough to know which car it is.....
Old 14 Sep 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2289621)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
the answer is yes, expecially with all the co drivers out there.

we need to know who is driving
Old 14 Sep 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2289674)   #15
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not make the numbers a bit smaller? A compromise between the two?
Old 14 Sep 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2290401)   #16
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
So why can Mr D'Alberto's team manage to put both driver names on the window in legible type, while everyone else needs a microscope?

Surely the font size/type is mandated in the VESA playbook?
Actually CAMS dictates the minimum sizes/fonts etc for this stuff. But since when did V8s adhere to CAMS rules...

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2290418)   #17
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
the answer is yes, expecially with all the co drivers out there.

we need to know who is driving
How would you know who's driving? It's not like they have a light next to the names, to signify who's in the car at what time.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 00:57 (Ref:2290460)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
matt i actually meant who the drivers are in the car, not the individual driver at the time.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 02:13 (Ref:2290487)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Get an event program?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 02:22 (Ref:2290490)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
maybe you should come to australia and come and see one of the enduros
Old 15 Sep 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2290492)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
I'd love it! I'm not being sarcastic either.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2290494)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
then you will undersand the problem

most australian tracks are in the middle of no where, they lack real facilities and you usally sit on a seat you brought from home or in the dirt.

the official program comes out once a year, with inserts for each round but at enduro rounds like Phillip island the drivers dont have to be named until friday night which is too late for any insert.

30 or so of the drivers are racing their first race for the year so we have no idea who they are especially if you havent been following the pre race forums for weeks on ends.

the speaker system does not tie up with the big screen (in the case of PI) and the speakers are placed so far apart that you cant really hear them (you can use a radio but then you cant talk to your mates)

thats why we needs the names on the cars, because it tells us who is going past, not so much an issue for the regular drivers but for the
Old 15 Sep 2008, 05:04 (Ref:2290547)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
then you will undersand the problem

most australian tracks are in the middle of no where, they lack real facilities and you usally sit on a seat you brought from home or in the dirt.

the official program comes out once a year, with inserts for each round but at enduro rounds like Phillip island the drivers dont have to be named until friday night which is too late for any insert.

30 or so of the drivers are racing their first race for the year so we have no idea who they are especially if you havent been following the pre race forums for weeks on ends.

the speaker system does not tie up with the big screen (in the case of PI) and the speakers are placed so far apart that you cant really hear them (you can use a radio but then you cant talk to your mates)

thats why we needs the names on the cars, because it tells us who is going past, not so much an issue for the regular drivers but for the
Our tracks are in the middle of nowhere, and aside from the ovals, you usually bring a chair from home to sit on.

Although, we have a different program at each round, didn't know you had only one that makes the rounds the whole year. Really sucks if there's a driver change, eh?
Old 16 Sep 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2291571)   #24
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They managed to fit long names like "Bargwanna" and "d'Alberto" on the window in the old font/type!

But for some reason SCA wrote "Said" and "Neal" in type you needed binoculars to read...

I much rathered the old style
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 16 Sep 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2291697)   #25
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
They managed to fit long names like "Bargwanna" and "d'Alberto" on the window in the old font/type!

But for some reason SCA wrote "Said" and "Neal" in type you needed binoculars to read...

I much rathered the old style
I remember the days when we had nothing on the windows. we got by! All we had were surnames on the front guards We still knew who were racing !

Once again V8SCA are tying to reinvent the wheel!