Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2638283)   #1
LiveandLetDrive
Rookie

LiveandLetDrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USF1 was clearly shopping for money in all the wrong places

Apparently all you have to do is show up at a Holocaust denier convention.

http://twitter.com/MyLotusRacing

As seen on Twitter, ex-Malaysian PM Tun Mahathir is being joyously welcomed to their factory grand opening. Not being up on Malaysian politics until recently, I had to look him up to find out that he's a man of great stature and many quotable quotes:

"The Jews had always been a problem in European countries. They had to
be confined to ghettoes and periodically massacred. But still they
remained, they thrived and they held whole governments to ransom."

"Even after their massacre by the Nazis of Germany, they survived to
continue to be a source of even greater problems for the world. The
Holocaust failed as a final solution.”

Those from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahathir_bin_Mohamad

Not that the source of funding (and location of the Malaysian GP) is a stranger to bad press given the recent canings of adulterous women. (Apparently they committed these grave acts with eachother as no men seemed to be involved.)

Seriously Lotus, wtf. My home team turned out to be vaporware, my favorite historic team is funded by sources I can't in good conscience ignore, I guess I'll be pulling for Virgin for best-of-the-rest!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2638320)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't aware of this situation but it doesn't make any difference to my feelings about my 'home' team. I am supporting the continuation of the legacy that Chapman built, the efforts of Mike Gascoyne and Tony Fernandez, and the progression of the Lightspeed team to top flight motorsport.

I will not allow the involvement of some ignorant, racist bigot to spoil the return of the Lotus colours to F1. Hate the man, not what his money is being used for.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2638329)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And where does it say that Dr Mahathir is funding this team? Of course, his views are unsavoury to say the least (however, those comments were made at the OIC, which I wouldn't describe as a "holocaust denier's convention").
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2638339)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre View Post
I am supporting the continuation of the legacy that Chapman built, the efforts of Mike Gascoyne and Tony Fernandez, and the progression of the Lightspeed team to top flight motorsport.
Just a question but how much of Colin Chapman's legacy is there in the new Lotus team?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2638348)   #5
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Just a question but how much of Colin Chapman's legacy is there in the new Lotus team?
They are called "Lotus" and they race in Lotus colours!

.....Which is something!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2638351)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which is pretty much the only thing despite a few ex guys from Lotus part of Litespeed claiming to run the team with Lotus principles. Other than what you stated above that's gotta be it.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2638356)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
They are called "Lotus" and they race in Lotus colours!

.....Which is something!
I'm aware of that, but that doesn't really have much to with Colin Chapman's legacy; nontheless it's an aspiration, though a noble one.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 22 Feb 2010 at 16:21.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2638369)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the nth time, you only have to look at the rear wing endplate to see where the Lotus link comes in. It is a totally legitimate link to Chapman

And if you're going to nitpick people that are involved in F1, you won't have much of a grid left. For God's sake, even the man running the sport said Hitler "got things done"
Old 22 Feb 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2638375)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
For the nth time, you only have to look at the rear wing endplate to see where the Lotus link comes in. It is a totally legitimate link to Chapman

And if you're going to nitpick people that are involved in F1, you won't have much of a grid left. For God's sake, even the man running the sport said Hitler "got things done"
Lol, calm down.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2638405)   #10
LiveandLetDrive
Rookie

Thought that might spark some controversy...

Quote:
And where does it say that Dr Mahathir is funding this team?
I shouldn't have implied that; as far as the funding I mean to question the morality of holding races and accepting investors from countries with major human rights issues. How bad does a country have to be for someone to say "Enough's enough. We don't want your money here."? Obviously noone and no country is perfect but where is the line? Who's going to have to grow a conscience and boycott a race (or team) first? The fans, drivers, teams? Personally Malaysia's current state makes me very uncomfortable, but I'm open for debate.

As for Dr. Mahathir, I don't know if he has any other connection to the team whatsoever but the fact remains that they invited - as their Guest of Honor to a defining team event - an outspoken anti-semite who thinks, unlike Bernie's highly un-PC claim, Hitler couldn't get things done, at least not as well as he should have. I'm not trying to turn anyone against Lotus, in fact it should be their (and it is my) affection for the team that makes this sort of association not okay. It's bad for the image of the team and the sport, and potentially bad for others if we choose to give positive notoriety to dangerous people. (And potentially money should they manage to turn a profit.)

I didn't mean to say anything about the OIC, but it hardly matters where he said it does it? I just meant that Mahathir is on a holocaust-denier level of morality.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2638412)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive View Post
I shouldn't have implied that; as far as the funding I mean to question the morality of holding races and accepting investors from countries with major human rights issues.
If you start going about countries with dodgy human rights records hosting GPs, there are a number of equally bad or worse countries on the calendar, and other FIA series. There should be stronger action taken in the regard of hosting races, and the powers that were should have been absolutely disgusted with themselves for racing in South Africa when they did, but that was then.

Quote:
How bad does a country have to be for someone to say "Enough's enough. We don't want your money here."? Obviously noone and no country is perfect but where is the line? Who's going to have to grow a conscience and boycott a race (or team) first? The fans, drivers, teams? Personally Malaysia's current state makes me very uncomfortable, but I'm open for debate.
Malaysia does not have a particularly good human rights record, but as I mentioned it is in some ways better than China, Singapore, Bahrain and other places F1 has raced in its past.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2638417)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Listen, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right........... So! It's all forgotten now, and let's hear no more about it
Old 22 Feb 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2638429)   #13
LiveandLetDrive
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Malaysia does not have a particularly good human rights record, but as I mentioned it is in some ways better than China, Singapore, Bahrain and other places F1 has raced in its past.
I saw a few weeks ago that Monaco's human rights record was sterling, maybe we should just hold 19 races there? Floating tracks in international waters could work, but then someone might drive a car into a whale and we'd all be screwed.

It certainly isn't as simple as just lopping any one country off the calendar. I just think we need to be thinking about it, and to let the powers that are know that we are concerned. Society only progresses if we hold each other accountable and improve upon our past failures. I saw Malaysia's "two sides" coming together and noone seemed to be talking about it, so I thought I'd push it out into the light of day.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2638431)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
For the nth time, you only have to look at the rear wing endplate to see where the Lotus link comes in.
The rear wing endplates have both the Bridgestone and Proton logos on them.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2638456)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive View Post
It certainly isn't as simple as just lopping any one country off the calendar. I just think we need to be thinking about it, and to let the powers that are know that we are concerned. Society only progresses if we hold each other accountable and improve upon our past failures. I saw Malaysia's "two sides" coming together and noone seemed to be talking about it, so I thought I'd push it out into the light of day.
For the most part I do agree, however when the international consensus is for a boycott (which it obviously isn't in the case of any country on the F1 calendar currently), it would probably be wise for motor racing to join it.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2638458)   #16
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The rear wing endplates have both the Bridgestone and Proton logos on them.
Indeed they do...but it's one of those in particular that I'm hinting at
Old 23 Feb 2010, 05:06 (Ref:2638799)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course, and that sponsor is Proton, that owns Lotus Cars.
If thinks are OK also with Classic Team Lotus (team that preserves Lotus racing cars heritage), that could make the team as a "legitimate" Lotus F1 team.

But something is make me thinking... Title of this thread is about USF1... Why the notes are about an "unpolitically correct" backer of Lotus???
Old 23 Feb 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2638886)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Indeed they do...but it's one of those in particular that I'm hinting at
I understand Proton own Lotus but that's it. I'm not trying to denegrate what they are doing at Lotus F1. If Colin Chapman's legacy lies anywhere it lies in the Lotus F1's aspirations and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2638951)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This subject is pointless, move on people.