Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Oct 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2966992)   #1
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monaco Historics 2012 - Any tips?

Likely be part of a group attending as spectators. Any hints or tips particularly as regards taking photographs? Street circuits are rarely spectator friendly but other than a recent quick visit (non-racing), I have no idea as to what access is possible, so would welcome any advice.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2967213)   #2
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You will need to get a press photographer pass to be able to take interesting photos of the cars on track. If you have a friendly local paper who can "sponsor" you, you can apply to the ACM. Obviously the whole group will not get passes, only one of you! I can help if you like. In theory anybody with a ticket can get into the paddock, but in practice it is not always easy, due to overcrowding. Qualifying starts Friday afternoon now.

Marcus
Old 27 Oct 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2977805)   #3
The Swede
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
The Swede should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also interested to visit as spectator. Any tips on lodging that is "cheap" and not to far away?
Old 27 Oct 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2977852)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Try Ni Hotel which is in a great location just up behind the start line area.

http://www.nihotel-nibar.com/

Another option that is less than 5 mins walk but outside of central Monaco is this:

http://www.forumhotel.net
Old 27 Oct 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2977879)   #5
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a very good train service to Monaco, so a town either side could be a good budget choice. I've stayed in Menton before and had a good time and Nice isn't out of the question - there's plenty of choice there.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2978313)   #6
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We always used to stay in Monaco itself, and in the early days of the Historic Grand Prix hotels hadn't got wise to the fact that the event was going to be a big draw, and consequently didn't load the tarriff. However by the third or fouth Historic GP, prices had rocketed to not far short of those for the GP weekend.

In recent years we have stayed in Nice, and we have found the Ibis hotel next to the station is most acceptable and reasonably-priced, and the train ride into Monaco is very pleasant. While the area by the station isn't anything to write home about, a short tram-ride will take you into the centre for dining. I know of a number of people who, like Alan Morgan, make Menton their base.

Last edited by Alan Cox; 28 Oct 2011 at 17:43. Reason: Word omitted
Old 28 Oct 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2978318)   #7
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am delighted with Alan's response as we have booked the Ibiis a few weeks ago!
The beach is not far either
Old 20 Nov 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2989085)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
You will need to get a press photographer pass to be able to take interesting photos of the cars on track. I can help if you like.

Marcus
I think our group organiser is going to try and get a couple of media passes but I will also approach our local classic car magazine as I am known!

Spectator - hope to see you there!

We are also doing the Ferrari, Maserati & Lambo factories I believe. After Monaco and France, they head to Woking and are visiting the McLaren factory. We'll head to Nottm...