Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Apr 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1575425)   #1
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vale Alan Barrow

Too young,"Abe" has passed on after an illness.An FJ Holden punter since the early sixties,who passed the passion on to his son Phil in the pale green humpy with the twin dark green stripes- still seen regularly in Group N and indisputably the fastest 1950s sedan in Australian racing.Like so many of his era A.B. was a true Australian "original", much loved.One of the gentleman racers who never crossed the line and endangered others, but always got the most out of a car.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1578163)   #2
Bruce Moxon
Racer

Bruce Moxon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news indeed. What a loss.

AB was the bloke who told my old man (a contemporary) that his (Dad's) painting effort looked like it had been 'sprayed with a yard broom and cut back with a hammer and chisel'.

Enough to get me to post under my real name, even.

Bruce Moxon
Old 11 Apr 2006, 02:25 (Ref:1578168)   #3
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know him, but it is always sad to hear of someone passing. Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1578184)   #4
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
cornermsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, definatly a sad day and the end of an era

My family and the Barrows spent alot of time together in the '70 and '80. My childhood was either spent at Oran Park or Amaroo when Abe and my old man started racing in the newly reformed "Apendix J" class, or alternativly at each others houses for the social barby and drinkathon as we lived fairly close. In later years, I was lucky enough to be able to race against Abe and have some fun before he hung up the helmet!

RIP Abe, im sure you have already tracked down some grey motors and tinkering right now!!

I'll be having a beer or 10 for ya!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1578380)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Alan

Sadly....

Alan Barrow passed away in a private Hospital in Canberra on Sunday. He was one of the original Appendix J founding members and raced his FJ (Holden, pictured) at Warwick Farm in the early years. Son Phil is now driving the "Barrow Holden".

I fondly remember barracking for the Barrow Holden at Oran Park in the early days. This racing Father and Son must be close to the longest continuous campaign for single car type there is.

Deepest condolences to Phil and Alan's family.

Quote from a fellow racer: The Family are holding a Cremation service in Canberra at 1.30pm next Wednesday. I am advised a number of the Sydney App J boy's will be attending. He was one of natures gentleman and will be sadly missed by all who knew him. Unquote

By Mick....Sorry I don't have a better picture .... this is Phil at Eastern Creek a few years ago.

Old 30 Jun 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1644894)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phil

As far as I am concerned...Alan must be clapping his hands over Phil's efforts...the car was competing in the night races at Oran Park....and the damn FJ just gets faster and faster....well done Phillip
Old 25 Mar 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2853036)   #7
BBarrow
Rookie

BBarrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrow FJ holden lives on

Hi all
Thankyou for the kind messages, although my dad has passed for almost 5 years now, the FJ lives on and will for many more generations to come. Phil and I will ensure the old girl survives and progresses to be to be the longest continuous serving family racing car in Australias history, Phil has done a fansatic job in continuing dad's legacy but has also exceeded the cars expectations with speeds never anticipated fom the general!
Cheers
BB
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2855797)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
BB

Welcome BB...Phil seemed to be flying at Phillip Island until some gremlin got in. I for one hope you and Phil keep racing the old girl forever!! Cheers, Mick (Flaggie)