Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2001, 14:33 (Ref:132459)   #1
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heads to roll at McLaren?

As a McLaren fan I guess it's odd for me to post something like this, but I can't help thinking that a few heads will be rolling at McLaren and Mercedes over their failure to get either title this year. I know that Norbert Haug nearly lost his job in 1999 and only Mika's championship win saved it (I've got Norbert's actual quote somewhere) but I don't think he'll be saved second time around. At the risk of getting into trouble I reckon the following people are for the kick up the jacksie or maybe even walk out of the team:

Norbert Haug
Mika Hakkinen - see below
Possibly Steve Hallam or Mark Slade (Mika's race engineers) but I doubt it
Adrian Newey will be under pressure to improve things dramatically; I know they've done everything to keep him, but he may decide to walk out again.

I've heard that Mika's engineering crew have been moved to DC's crew over the last few races which has left Mika without his regular engineers/mechanics. He obviously wants them back but Ron won't allow it. I say, give Mika back his crew - they've been together a long time and they work well together. But, it could be the straw that breaks Mika's back (I really don't want to describe Mika as a camel) along with the last-minute splash-and-dash which robbed everybody of a great battle for 4th place today.

Looking at the way things are turning out for Mika (pressure to re-sign, pressure from the press, pressure from other drivers desperate for his seat, loss of lots of money if he resigns, removal of crew against his will, car failures), I wouldn't be surprised if he tells Ron where to shove a new contract and goes to do something else instead. I would be so sorry to see him go, but I do think it's been on the cards for a long time. The thing is, I don't believe he WANTS to leave McLaren but circumstances may force him out. Ron has used his "relationship" with Mika to compensate for any problems in the past (e.g. financial, car problems) and Mika may well decide to not play anymore.

Suzy
Old 19 Aug 2001, 14:45 (Ref:132472)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Newey going to retire for good after 2003?
Old 19 Aug 2001, 14:45 (Ref:132473)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shrewd comments, Suzy. The whole Newey debacle seems to have sucked the wind from their sails, despite what Dennis says.

Its obvious that the Mercedes isn't the dominant engine it once was. Perhaps this is attributable to the ruling against the bellyrium (sp) cylinder liners as has been rumoured elsewhere, but axing Haug for an FIA rule change seems a little harsh.

I know the regard you have for Mika, believe me, I share it< but he really hasn't been a force this season. There are any number of reasons why, perhaps, but at the bottom line, he has been consistently outperformed by a driver he dominated not that long ago. The contract offered for next year seems insulting, given all he has done for the team during their long time together. But the harsh reality is that only your most recent season matters. Maybe a s$7,000,000 pay cut is rough, but most of us would drive an F1 for free let alone $3,000,000 for a season.

I think the rumoured move to Jaguar would be a huge mistake. Better to retire and become a Mercedes ambassador and let a younger driver, Heidfeld ofr Raikkonen, (the latest rumour) rebuild the team.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 14:46 (Ref:132474)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is bad, Suzy.

I was hoping McLaren could be back to the fight next year. It would be very good for F1, having 3 teams challenging the WDC...

Seeing all that's happening to Mika, you're right to think about his retirement...
Old 19 Aug 2001, 19:01 (Ref:132614)   #5
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing against Mika. He is a great driver and probably the fastest but his fighting spirit has always been a big question mark. He should leave his place to a more motivated driver. Is it too late to get Villeneuve?

Both McLaren drivers are good pairing but they have been in the same song for too long. Nothing is going to improve if they keep them. Change the line up. Put Fisichella and JV and things will be more promising next season.

BTW. I am drunk if you did not realize it. Part happiness for a 4th title, part dissapointment that happen so early in the season and with a dark event like the one in Austria. ****. It is going to be a long winter break
Old 19 Aug 2001, 21:05 (Ref:132685)   #6
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon Mika should tell Ron to get stuffed and either go to Jag, or if that's too far to step down, have a talk to Bobby about driving for Team Rahal next year. He 's looking for 2 drivers as we speak.
Go on Mika , it didn't hurt Nigel, he actually went over there and kicked their buts
Old 19 Aug 2001, 21:25 (Ref:132705)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great idea Alan !

I think he will make a blow out there !
Old 19 Aug 2001, 22:47 (Ref:132775)   #8
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly agree that the McClunken team have been together too complacent and too long.

Even as a long term dyed in the red Ferrari fanatic I have to admit that Mika is a great driver and he needs a new challenge - on or off the track. Personally I think he'd be better retiring. Nigel still had something to prove - I don't think Mika has. And i certainly would put two fingers up to Ron's reported offer -whatever the supposed special relationship. I think Ron's "motivational" negotiating stance (if true as reported) is crude and crass.

Francis
Old 19 Aug 2001, 23:32 (Ref:132809)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Anyway, I have a good faith in Mika. Go for it !!!
Old 20 Aug 2001, 07:09 (Ref:132900)   #10
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How ironic- I've just received Mercedes' Mclaren poster
Old 20 Aug 2001, 08:52 (Ref:132939)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is stupid for McLaren to get rid of Mika when they are going to keep DC. Can someone explain the logic in this please????? DC is not a team leader, never has and never will be (as seen by this year.)

Mika has been let down by a god-awful car that is completely unreliable, yet Mercedes want to get rid of the man that gave them two WDC and one WCC and who has won the most races, poles and fastest laps for the make.

However, I think Mika should tell Dennis and Mercedes to shove their 'offer' (if that is what it should be called) up there arses and go off blissfully into retirement. The new deal is arrogant of Mercedes and plain stinks. How they could treat a 2x WDC and who brought McLaren back to the front so shabbily is completely beyond me.

McLAREN AND MERCEDES - BE ASHAMED!!!!