Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 21 Nov 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2989472)   #1
hillclimber16v
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
hillclimber16v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oil pump engine front cover

Hello

When I've dismanteld my engine I found somthing thats questionable.
It seem that in the front cover from the dry sump system there is a piece of the cover broken next to the cranck seal. They've repaird this with some special 2 component material, glueded in actually.
The front cover is for a vauxhall 20xe engine and is the same in my reynard 903 as for the popular formula vauxhall lotus.
Who supports these parts? I can't find anything on the "MILLS" that is stamped in the cover and oil pump.
If this would be a problem to find I could have it welded. There is only on the outside dammage, the inside for the cover looks clean.
The only thing a can think of is when the wanted to remove an old seal from the cover they used to mutch forse in it that a chunck broke off it.

Is there someone specialized in these cars?

Ivan
Old 21 Nov 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2989522)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it be Spiess? They had some front covers in stock earlier in the year I think. Send them an email with photos and see if they can help.

Welding is an option, but might distort it, which would be bad.

You could bore out the cover carefully and press in an insert, but you have to make sure the centre stays in the same position and that it can't leak past the insert.
Old 21 Nov 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2989537)   #3
hillclimber16v
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
hillclimber16v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last month I've seen some welding or better something like soldering on aluminium parts only some 340°C heating and ik looks quit strong. Not something to use on structural parts but like this cover there is no stress on it. Just keep the seal in place.
He welded a broken cooling fin from a bikes cilinder only moments later you can pull it with plieres.
Has anybody got some experiance with this type of welding?

Ivan