Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3187591)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Jamie Whincup, the best V8 driver ever?

I would rank him above the best there has been, because not only is he the quickest but he doesnt make mistakes like other top drivers in the comp. Hes success rate in winning races is really good, and now has won a few championships before hes even turned 30. so theres heaps of racing in him considering the guys racin long before him looked like grampas and they were still quick! So he imo is one of, if not the best driver we've seen in aus history. What's your thoughts.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3187597)   #2
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I would rank him above the best there has been, because not only is he the quickest but he doesnt make mistakes like other top drivers in the comp. Hes success rate in winning races is really good, and now has won a few championships before hes even turned 30. so theres heaps of racing in him considering the guys racin long before him looked like grampas and they were still quick! So he imo is one of, if not the best driver we've seen in aus history. What's your thoughts.
As an 18 or 19 y/o, how many good drivers have you seen ?
Old 11 Jan 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3187608)   #3
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
No.........Ambrose is the best.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3187618)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
No.........Ambrose is the best.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3187619)   #5
m00neelee
Rookie

m00neelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FAS33, it's quite amazing that the "Right Now" generation still can't use the internet. There is more to V8 Supercars than just the 2010 - 2012 seasons.

My opinion, and we are just talking V8 Supercars, is Craig Lowndes.

16 seasons
3 Championships
4 Runner up
2 Thirds
Average finishing position of 4.5.

19 Bathurst 1000's
5 Wins
5 Runner up
1 Thirds
Average finishing position of 4.1 in 16 finishes (excluding 3 DNF's).
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3187621)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

"Marcos is a class act", Brad Keselowski, Watkins Glen 2012.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3187624)   #7
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
As an 18 or 19 y/o, how many good drivers have you seen ?
You mean apart from me? Ive seen them all, theyre not even in the same class of whincup, brock included.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3187632)   #8
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You mean apart from me? Ive seen them all, theyre not even in the same class of whincup, brock included.
Your about 18 and you've seen them all ? You need to make up your mind on the forum and start showing a bit of maturity instead of TRYING to be the funny guy.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3187641)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best driver of a V8 ever...

McLaren MP4/8, Donington 1993, powered by a Ford HBD7 3.5 V8 engine....
Old 11 Jan 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3187731)   #10
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Your about 18 and you've seen them all ? You need to make up your mind on the forum and start showing a bit of maturity instead of TRYING to be the funny guy.
been watchin group a,b,c atcc and V8's on youtube, so in a sense I have.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3187757)   #11
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig Lowndes for sure, second maybe Brock then Whincup.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3187868)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
been watchin group a,b,c atcc and V8's on youtube, so in a sense I have.
You watched group b touring cars?

So you have watched all the above yet still ask the question who is the best driver in v8's - why not ask ATCC?

Either way its not Jamie Whincup
Old 11 Jan 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3187910)   #13
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Might be a good driver but he has to be the most boring personality who has ever been ATCC or V8 champ.
Love em or hate em past champs have all been colourful charcters!
Old 11 Jan 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3187925)   #14
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3187931)   #15
Henry Windsor
Rookie

Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua, Barbados
Henry Windsor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best ever ? I don't think so although don't get me wrong he is good but I think you need to take into account the type of car he is driving being a purpose built race car with technology well advanced to the likes of when your Johnson, Brock and Moffat's days.

It's like trying to compare Phar Lap with Black Caviar, different era's , different tracks, different technology, IMHO he's not the best but he is good.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3187947)   #16
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Windsor View Post
Best ever ? I don't think so although don't get me wrong he is good but I think you need to take into account the type of car he is driving being a purpose built race car with technology well advanced to the likes of when your Johnson, Brock and Moffat's days.

It's like trying to compare Phar Lap with Black Caviar, different era's , different tracks, different technology, IMHO he's not the best but he is good.
Totally agree you cannot compare old time drivers with modern day, different cars and techology.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3187952)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Totally agree you cannot compare old time drivers with modern day, different cars and techology.
Clearly some people think you can because these threads keep popping up across the forums of the world...

I dont think its possible to absolutely compare drivers from one day against another... its got to be a very difficult task for a team to select a codriver based on laptimes and race performance, when the variables of car condition, car preparation, driver management and all the other stuff gets involved...

It is not an unusual event for example for a driver who should be at the front, if they are lower than usual in their grid slot, or are delayed at some point, for them to set fastest lap time after fastest lap time... yet had they not been delayed, perhaps the same energy and speed might not be available for us to see...

I facetiously put up Ayrton Senna as quickest ever in a V8 because he could transcend car condition, specification & set up where they were sub optimal and just drive the thing flat out... in every session... in every race...

Not all the blokes mentioned here can do that, or want to do that, or think its in their best interests to do that... or indeed what other people consider good driving...

Mr Brock setting fastest lap on the last lap of the '78 Bathurst is something that is always talked about... showing off perhaps.. but showing too the speed he had in the car that day.. his best drive? Probably not... that may have been 1987 Bathurst in 2 Commodores that were slowish and slow... again.. transcending the issues of the day, the driver got the old girl to 3rd, and ultimately 1st place.

Or seeing Mr Miedecke at Bathurst 1987, in his Oxo Supercube Sierra, which looked very comfortable at Bathurst that day, quick, able to fight with the mega budget Rouse and Eggenberger teams, to show off some great driving skills, some great prep skills, and some great car sorting and suspension tuning skills... only to arguably fade away to virtual oblivion when the corporate support did not see the value in this...

Or how about Oil Can Harry, Allan Grice, the car breaker himself... who could drive anything to beyond the limit of its speed... super super quick pilot in his day... with not a lot of budget, but with some preparation magic from blokes like Mr Small and co. You never left a race circuit wondering if Mr Grice could get more speed out of a car... but the record books will show that this did not translate into multiple championships or series wins... but doesnt discount Mr Grice as someone genuinely entertaining to watch...

Other people remember fondly that Mr Johnson was in the lead of the 1980 Bathurst and said to be pulling away from the field when the rock hit his car or vice versa. Ignores that from subsequent events, that a DJR fettled Falcon, especially in Group C form, did not have magnificent reliability... such that would he have made the victory slot if the car hadnt hit that rock? And built a whole life's work on the back of one event.. what if it had gone the other way, and the car DNF'd... would anyone even know who Dick Johnson was?

Its all hypothesis... likes, dislikes...
Old 12 Jan 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3188092)   #18
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Richards
Old 12 Jan 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3188129)   #19
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I facetiously put up Ayrton Senna as quickest ever in a V8 because he could transcend car condition, specification & set up where they were sub optimal and just drive the thing flat out... in every session... in every race...
He had 5 remarkable wins in 93. But was often missing in the other races.

Quote:
Other people remember fondly that Mr Johnson was in the lead of the 1980 Bathurst and said to be pulling away from the field when the rock hit his car or vice versa. Ignores that from subsequent events, that a DJR fettled Falcon, especially in Group C form, did not have magnificent reliability... such that would he have made the victory slot if the car hadnt hit that rock? And built a whole life's work on the back of one event.. what if it had gone the other way, and the car DNF'd... would anyone even know who Dick Johnson was?
This is some good insight for me. I would've never considered this possible factor of '80 Bathurst. That being the case, it's possible he may not have won in '81, had the race not been stopped.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3188140)   #20
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
I don't recall any reliability problems in the distance events leading up to the 1980 Bathurst.........the car ran exceptionally well in it's first outing at Amaroo Park before succumbing to tyre wear, the tight track not really suited to the big XD.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3188378)   #21
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, those DJR fettled Falcons did alright in 3 of the next 4 ATCCs & BTW Brocks lap record was 79 IIRC.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3188759)   #22
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with GTR here, so many variables to consider "who is best".

Considering any driver of any era, you have to look at the talent pool, factory cash in the sport, the opposition and of course race conditions. Oh, and luck!

Many a drivers championship or reputation could have been changed by a faulty 20 cent part...how many times have we heard/seen the bathurst hard luck stories, and how many guys have benefitted from the outcome of these?

In my time I've never seen someone drive a racecar like Brock or Lowndes, have the discipline of Skaife and Whincup, or the raw ability of Ambrose.

If you have to look at the original question, I'd say Lowndes. A complete package of winning instinct, talent and skill, against all his opposition and in all conditions.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 03:24 (Ref:3188770)   #23
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hard one because of the era's - Whincup is in a team that is dominant & he still has to win which he does, Skaife was too when HRT won everything, Brock won Bathurst 1000's beating mini's
Seton was solid & consistent, Johnny Bowe was pretty quick too. Lowndes, he annoys me & i am glad Whincup puts him back in his place...

I will say Ambrose, won the title in his 3rd full season & backed it up again the following year & those drives at Watkins Glen - or Senna, that drive at Donington in the wet, 7th to 1st on the 1st lap in a Ford V8
Old 14 Jan 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3188772)   #24
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or how about Oil Can Harry, Allan Grice, the car breaker himself... who could drive anything to beyond the limit of its speed... super super quick pilot in his day... with not a lot of budget, but with some preparation magic from blokes like Mr Small and co. You never left a race circuit wondering if Mr Grice could get more speed out of a car... but the record books will show that this did not translate into multiple championships or series wins... but doesnt discount Mr Grice as someone genuinely entertaining to watch..
This.

Although I never saw Frank Gardner race......
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3189388)   #25
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be remiss if I let this go further without mentioning the man who John Sheppard reckoned eclipsed Peter Brock's talents beyond any doubt, whose exuberance behind the wheel of any number of V8 touring car is massively evident on the grainy footage still available of the man in action ... who, though semi-retired and less than serious about it all, lapped Bathurst during untuned practice one year three full seconds quicker than the ultimate pole time, his car held at ludicrous angles all the way around ... whose rivals rated as freakishly talented ... who pushed the competition to their peak performance ...

Of course, I speak of Ian Geoghegan.

Whincup wouldn't have seen which way the fat man went in his day...