Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 18 Jan 2002, 15:36 (Ref:200640)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Clio Cup News

A couple of press releases received today:

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: FRIDAY 18TH JANUARY 2002
WORDS: 199

IT’S KRAEMER v KRAEMER IN CLIO CUP

Rick and Jo Kraemer (York) will become the first father and daughter team to race in the Elf Clio Renaultsport UK Cup in 2002.

The pair will be team-mates in the Bintcliffe Sport Racing outfit’s line-up. In 2000, father and son Jim Edwards Snr and Jnr competed in the championship – with Jnr going on to win the title.

But this is the first time that a father and his daughter have ever competed in a Renault UK race championship.

Rick, aged 52, is a seasoned campaigner and in 2001 was a regular in the British Touring Car Championship’s Production class field. For 21-year-old Jo, however, 2002 marks her first season of car racing.

Promotions girl Jo said: “I don’t expect to be challenging for honours during my first season but I hope that dad will stick up for me on the track if I’m getting a bit of hassle from the more experienced drivers!”

Rick said: “It will be great to be in the same team as Jo but once we’re out on the track she will be on her own. It will be a big learning curve for her but she’s tough and more than capable of being a success.”

· To see an image of Rick and Jo Kraemer visit the Clio Cup’s official website www.renaultsport.co.uk

ENDS

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: FRIDAY 18TH JANUARY 2002
WORDS: 383

BYFORD, RIVETT AND TEMPLEMAN IN CLIO CUP RETURN

Three of the top names from last year’s Elf Clio Renaultsport UK Cup – Martin Byford (Sudbury), Paul Rivett (Banstead) and Jason Templeman (Newark) – will all be back to fight for the title in 2002.

Byford continues with his family-run Z-Speed Racing team and Rivett the Chelsea Football Club-supported Team Firstair squad with which he won November’s winter title. Templeman has opted to stick with his team from last year, Total Control Racing.

The three drivers finished third, fourth and fifth overall in the 2001 Clio Cup, with Byford and Rivett taking two race wins apiece and Templeman one. Rivett and Templeman also finished first and second in November’s winter championship after thrilling battles at Rockingham and Donington Park.

“After two seasons of racing in the Clio Cup, I believe I now have the racecraft required to win at this level,” said 23-year-old Templeman. “I’ve certainly got the right team behind me.”

However, fellow 23-year-old Rivett is eager to maintain his and Firstair’s winter championship momentum. In his favour, he claims, is the fact that this year’s Clio Cup pays extra visits to his two favourite circuits. “Six of the 13 rounds are at Thruxton and Brands Hatch where I’m probably at my strongest. Last year I started the season with a win at Brands and was in the running for the title until I had a bad run mid-season. This time, I aim to start the same way but then keep on winning.”

Byford, meanwhile, came closest of the three in his attempts to take the Clio Cup crown, remaining a title contender until the penultimate round. The 29-year-old commented: “I’m looking forward to some very exciting racing again. I did weigh up a few other championships during the winter but nothing came close to the Clio Cup in terms of profile, value for money and close racing. I’m sure we can put up another very strong title challenge but it would be foolish of me to underestimate the opposition, particularly Paul and Jason.”

Team Firstair has also confirmed it has re-signed Andy Brakewell (Carnforth) for 2002. Brakewell, aged 37, achieved a best-ever fifth position in the winter championship.

The first of the Clio Cup’s 13 rounds takes place on Brands Hatch’s full-length Grand Prix circuit in Kent on Easter Monday, 1st April.

ENDS
Old 18 Jan 2002, 15:54 (Ref:200655)   #2
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's looking good for this season - lets hope it is as good as last year!!

Last edited by AndyF; 18 Jan 2002 at 15:55.
Old 18 Jan 2002, 21:50 (Ref:200884)   #3
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well well well!!
I didn't think Martin Byford would be back this year. I don't think they were too happy with Masini punting him off at Brands and scuppering his championship chances (well second place chance).

So my second season to support them - maybe I can get my double glazing fixed now.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 21:12 (Ref:202349)   #4
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Tim Mullen racing a Clio again this year ?
Old 28 Jan 2002, 17:10 (Ref:205832)   #5
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the singer Maxi Jazz racing a clio ?

Does anybody know if Faithless star M F is doing the clio`s this year? The way he drove Fiesta`s last year was in the words of one of his songs insomnia,in other words it kept us awake!His offs,well at most tracks were quite marvelous to watch !So if he does take part it will be very interesting to watch the back of the field.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 10:28 (Ref:206177)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Rick, would that be the Maxi Jazz Fiesta?
Old 29 Jan 2002, 10:44 (Ref:206183)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i doubt it - he managed to have a considerably large car accident towards the end of last year...
Old 29 Jan 2002, 22:01 (Ref:206344)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Wasn't there a rumour that he was looking for an ALMS drive. You've got to feel sorry for those US marshals. Poor lads have no idea how much work they're in for.