Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Feb 2002, 17:58 (Ref:214686)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can the R&S cut it in ALMS?

Considering the new rules in 2003 for Grand Am seem to discourage "evil" carbon fiber prototype roadsters (no more Elan R&S, right?), I think that the Mk IIIC might be a fixture in ALMS in the coming years. Do you think that the car has enough punch to compete with the big guns? Guy Smith said he was interested in an outright Sebring victory, which suprised me.

And while were on the subject, what is up with Dyson? They abondon the C and returned to an aging III and never really looked good at Daytona, now I hear they may only run some select ALMS races. Surely, a C is better than the old car?
Old 12 Feb 2002, 18:20 (Ref:214703)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the car is given a decent chance at a full season, I think it could challenge for the title.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 19:16 (Ref:214775)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
If the car is given a decent chance at a full season, I think it could challenge for the title.
Not against the Audi it won't. But in the GrandAm, it will be good. I still think that the Lista Dallara is the best car, but the R&S sure got better in the factories hands. It's a mystery why Dyson couldn't do anything with it. I wonder how much the Elan motor helped. Robbie Gordon looked particularly comfortable in the car. He seemed to be able to do anything he wanted to with it.

I find the R&S connection with Elan/Panoz puzzling. Don providing motors for a rival manufacturer in a rival series to his. Are they collaborating on technical data or is this a straight engine deal? You have to wonder. There is more reason for them to not do business than there is for it. Watch this as I think we might see some strange developments soon. Don has been silent about his plans so we can expect a surprise.

The car I found most interesting at Daytona was the Crawford. It is a much better car than last year and Max' pedigree is pretty good. If they can find some funding, they could be a factor in the GA. The car was near the front when they had trouble, so the speed isn't too far off. Remember that this car is a work in progress.

And i think that Dyson's old R&S cars might be just too rung out to work well anymore. I mean, doesn't one of them have like 200,000 miles on it or something? Rob, you got your money's worth out of it. Get a new one.

In all, daytona was fascinating and it wasn't a bad race either. The GrandAm is gaining steam. Let's hope the remainder of the races are as good.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:12 (Ref:214823)   #4
f2001
Racer

f2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say its not got a chance against the likes of the MGs Audis and Panoz
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:30 (Ref:214836)   #5
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a call on Friday from the southern part of Indy and had an opportunity to ask what they thought their chances were at Sebring. He said the car they will run is an ALMS chassis, not the one they ran at Daytona.

While there will be tougher competition than at Daytona, the car should be better as well.

Audi and the foolish business model of ALMS is exactly why the DSC has come about. It would seem that there is quite a bit of interest in them from potential buyers.