Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Aug 2002, 13:12 (Ref:353961)   #1
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wills Sacking Rumor

On www.conrod.com.au/forums

The sites news editor has reported that he has it on good authority that Simon Wills has been sacked from Cat Racing/ Briggs Motorsport this afternoon.

Hope its not true.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 13:30 (Ref:353986)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then Simon might actually have something to whinge about instead of the usual nothing !
Old 9 Aug 2002, 23:44 (Ref:354364)   #3
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee Briggs is a smart man. Burn your bridges with Bowe who is having a good season with Ozemail and is a far superior driver to Wills and hire Wills to become the Teams resident Wood duck. And what a fine job Wills has done at that. If Ford want to step up they need to get rid of drivers like Wills and employ real racers willing to give 110% every time they step into the car
Old 9 Aug 2002, 23:48 (Ref:354367)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thought wills was deserving of his cat drive seeing he had won championships in feeder classes.....
Old 10 Aug 2002, 08:02 (Ref:354462)   #5
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never really Liked Simon Wills anyway.

He spent the 2 thirds of the 2001 Konica Series complaining about reverse grids and this and that and that he was going to quit ( which he should have) , then he won it - fair enough and landed the drive with Briggs Motorsport as JBs Co Driver then proceeded to destroy his own and any other car that got in his way at Bathurst.

Looks like he'll be off to the Biranna Racing team for 2003.

Maybe Team Kiwi will grab him for this years enduro's

Old 10 Aug 2002, 08:06 (Ref:354463)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you said it Tool Man...I didn't feel like typing out exactly what you've said myself - I didn't think "Whinger Wills" was worth the effort.

The guy is a squawking little brat - I've always felt he should drive a car with Kleenex sponsorship.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 08:44 (Ref:354472)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i guess you fella's dont like him then - fair enough....
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:23 (Ref:354536)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think thats fairly harsh, Wills is a pretty fast driver and probably deserves a bit more respect. I also heard that he would be at Birrana next year.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 13:41 (Ref:354602)   #9
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts exactly. If any of you's new him you would have noticed he has won everything he has driven. I think he is not the most natrally telented driver out there but he always puts in 110%. Next year when he has learnt all the tracks and get used to the car he will do better.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 00:45 (Ref:354974)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I persdonally think it is the CAT car thats the problem , maybe its jinxed ????

but then again wills allthough he has proven he can be a quick driver has found himself in a fair bit of strife , so maybe its a combo of both , either way its sad to see a driver heading towards the local centrelink office
Old 11 Aug 2002, 02:09 (Ref:354997)   #11
welby
Rookie

welby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wills Sacking Rumour

Make up your mind tool man, firstly feeling sorry for Simon then 'bagging' him, which is it. News editors don't always get it right either - Simon definitely hasn't been sacked. Just look at the revolving door policy at Briggs Motorsport and Simons proven racing results. How come he can blow the doors of everyone else in any comptetitve car?
Old 11 Aug 2002, 02:47 (Ref:355012)   #12
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Re: Wills Sacking Rumour

Quote:
Originally posted by welby
Simons proven racing results. How come he can blow the doors of everyone else in any comptetitve car?
Yeah when??????????????? What in the Konica series with only 3 real good cars????????????????
Old 11 Aug 2002, 13:45 (Ref:355269)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. He did alright in Formula Holden's, but in V8s he hasn't impressed that much. Sure he won the Konica's, but this year has been nowhere.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 02:57 (Ref:355727)   #14
Jason Whittaker
Rookie

Jason Whittaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. My rumours made it all the way to Crash Test's renowned Ten-Tenths forum. What an honour. :-)

Much more than a rumour, though. Wills is gone, don't worry about that.

And I understand Ross Stone was very quickly on the phone to him to get him for the Queensland 500. I think you'll find him partnering David Besnard for the race, in Wayne Gardner's absence.

Thanks,

Jason Whittaker
Conrod.com.au
jasonwhitt@bigpond.com

Last edited by Jason Whittaker; 12 Aug 2002 at 02:58.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 03:07 (Ref:355730)   #15
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Besnard and Wills in the same car ? 2 young drivers that started out promising so much but delivering very little in the "main game".
Old 12 Aug 2002, 03:33 (Ref:355735)   #16
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he has raced against such tough competitors for a long long time for example when Todd Kelly had a one off drve at PI in the FH in 1999 or 2000 he absolutly blew the doors off him and in three starts at Bathurst he crashed out every time WOW SBR will have to be quick to snap that one up before one of the Konica guys gets him as a reserve driver.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 12 Aug 2002, 04:02 (Ref:355738)   #17
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems we have a lot of Supercar drivers in this forum.... They guy's won at every level, and you can argue that he didn't beat anyone, but I'm sorry, dud drivers dont win even in good cars.

Give him a break. He's quick, and is still young enough to learn to not overdrive.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 06:44 (Ref:355772)   #18
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has nothing to do with if you have won at every level it is more about who you beat at the level you were at.What championships have the following won,not including the ATCC,Seton,Grice,Webber,Bargs,O.Kelly,Faulkner,Crompton,Murphy,Johnson(either),Ambrose,Owen even Dumbrell hasn't won Jack sh** up till a few weeks ago but I guess that they are all below a guy who beat nobody for a worthless championship that has less intrest in it than the Mirage Series.
Then you get the guys that fought hard all year in the F F championships like (and you can name nearly all the top drivers in the current ATCC) and what do you know they all seem to be quite succesful,some of those listed above like bargs who whilst not winning fought hard with Bright in 2 championships in a row

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 12 Aug 2002, 10:28 (Ref:355868)   #19
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Has Wills been sacked yet????????? Hopefully Besnard will follow not long after
Old 12 Aug 2002, 11:35 (Ref:355929)   #20
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Wills is gone......

never liked him.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:19 (Ref:356457)   #21
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, I'll admit, I was never a Wills fan as such, but I will say it again.

Untalented drivers dont win, even in good cars. I dont care who's he's beaten, the fact is he did, and I think some of you armchair experts need to pull your heads out of your you know whats.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 00:53 (Ref:357372)   #22
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wills has had some sporadic good performances in the CAT Ford. Really, so did Bowe before him. I don't think that he has been in the main game long enough for us to call for his head. Or, if by his performance over the last eight months he should go - then there would be a rush of Ford drivers being shown the door as well. Poor results seem the norm for this sub species, not the exception.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 01:07 (Ref:357377)   #23
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Somebody else asked an excellent question in one of the Winton threads - who will be driving the CAT Falcon this weekend ?

Maybe Canto as a warm up for the Max Wilson co-drive ?
Old 14 Aug 2002, 01:58 (Ref:357405)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much for Whittakers 'good authority' - Briggs is stating, in Auto Action, that Wills has resigned - he wasn't sacked....
Old 14 Aug 2002, 02:04 (Ref:357408)   #25
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
I've always loved a saying I heard an officer use on that TV show COPS once:

"In every story there are 3 versions, your story, his story and the truth."