Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Aug 2002, 14:44 (Ref:369895)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Muller/Thompson clash

Having just seen the TV coverage I am now even more convinced that this was a simple racing accident. Sure Muller made a mistake in locking his wheels, he admitted that as soon as he ended the race, but there was nothing malicious in it. Sure he might have been pushing hard but this is a race for a championship and, if he is to come from behind to win that championship, he has to push hard - especially when his main rival is trying to overtake round the outside!

As I said before - great racing - shame the two touched. Would have been fascinating to see what would have happened at Graham Hill Bend where one of them would have had to give way...
Old 31 Aug 2002, 14:45 (Ref:369896)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be Muller's fault. He knew it was the only way he could win the title. He has got fed up with finishing 2nd.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 14:48 (Ref:369898)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
'It has to be Muller's fault' sounds like a pretty inconvincing argument to me... almost like you're wishing that he did it on purpose. Of course he made a mistake - no one is arguing that point - but it was an accident - these things happen when you're racing.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 15:06 (Ref:369913)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately mum forgot to tape it... can I borrow it?! I would suspect though from what people are saying it was a racing incident, and, to be fair to Muller, he doesn't seem the type of bloke to cheat his way to a championship. Plato on the other hand...
Old 31 Aug 2002, 15:14 (Ref:369923)   #5
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pure racing incident, they are both there to win the title. Muller locked up but surely Thompson should have guessed with Muller being on cold tyres and going for it like that something was going to happen.

No way did Muller do that on purpose it was a mistake unlike Plato's move at Silverstone last year which was out of order.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 15:50 (Ref:369952)   #6
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
It has to be Muller's fault. He knew it was the only way he could win the title. He has got fed up with finishing 2nd.
Golden rule: Back up your opinions with facts.

Definitely a racing incident. I don't think Muller can be blamed for holding his line. Thommo should have held off and passed him later in a better position.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 16:11 (Ref:369966)   #7
Steven Gray
Rookie

Steven Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MUller is one of the cleanest drivers in the btcc why would he just throw that reputation away?
Old 31 Aug 2002, 16:15 (Ref:369970)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having just watched the TV coverage, I think I can agree fully with the description of this as a racing incident. Looked to me like Muller locking up on cold tyres and Thompson was left in the wrong place trying to go round the outside. Yes, he was pushing hard, but you can't blame him for that he was going to want to keep the position after all.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 16:25 (Ref:369990)   #9
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not again, Muller fighting his teammate in Thompson. When will Vauxhall Triple 8s team going to learn to be good teammates and not clashing each other for the championship.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 16:38 (Ref:370003)   #10
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm.... I dunno... 50/50 I reckon....

If Muller really did intend to take Jimmy off why did he go off himself...

However, Muller new where Thompson was, and understood the consequences of braking late and deep..

Did he mean to do it? I don't think that we will ever really know.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 21:30 (Ref:370118)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think I saw Muller's wheel's slightly turned towards taking the corner, but obviously he locked up. But what was the point in delibrately taking Thommo out, as you can see from the coverage Yvan was a very lucky man to get out of that gravel.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 22:23 (Ref:370150)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the pact Muller, Thompson and Neal made not to slow each other up? That went right out the window there didn't it! If Muller had stuck to this agreement he would have let Thommo past and tried to pass him in the race. He was only 9 points behind going into the feature race, he could easily of made that up at Donnington.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 06:52 (Ref:370264)   #13
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is some footage of Muller going around Druids with Turkinginton, excellant driving from Yvan he could have bumped Colin so easy. The move on Tommo was a mistake, not deliberate. Yvan ended up in gravel too and was lucky to get out. (as already pointed out by TL) If he had planned to take out Tommo, that would not have been the place to do it.

Last edited by Kelvin; 1 Sep 2002 at 06:53.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 08:40 (Ref:370298)   #14
Mocko
Rookie

Mocko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers error. I wouldn't say he wanted to do it.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 10:44 (Ref:370355)   #15
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid 'agreement' out the window for Donington!!!

Lets hope Vauxhall keep out of it and let Muller and Thompson fight this one out on the track, like a title battle should be decided.

Can't wait, should be some great racing.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:44 (Ref:370725)   #16
Steven Gray
Rookie

Steven Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be a corker!!
Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:54 (Ref:370738)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm getting more and more tempted to travel down from Scotland for this one..should I?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:59 (Ref:370741)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
No, I think you should stay at home and take up knitting instead. What sort of stupid question is that?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:35 (Ref:370770)   #19
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oooo, are we having a new knitting forum Knit your very own BTCC car model from this simple and easy to follow pattern.
Mr Legend, stop asking silly questions, of course it's going to be worth travelling to Donington
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:41 (Ref:370779)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I already tried the knitting, ceased to work in 1998...
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:45 (Ref:370782)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Seriously, is there any non motorway roads down that way (I know I'd be letting myself in for hell though) that I could get to Donington by. One of my folks would probably accompany me (got a provisional licenece you see) and swap about every so often, rather than one of us drive forever.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:48 (Ref:370788)   #22
Carrie
Veteran

Can you not do route planner things on places like the AA or RAC website? An easy non-motorway route down to Donington sounds like it'd be a nightmare - hope you plan on leaving a week early to get there in time Seriously, I wouldn't have a clue what route you could take.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:58 (Ref:370795)   #23
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>rather than one of us drive forever
I had to drive to Knockhill without a second driver!
RU man or mouse? :-)

Last edited by Kelvin; 1 Sep 2002 at 21:59.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 22:22 (Ref:370817)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Carrie, if you are going to use a route planner website surely it should be grenflag.com, especially as they are title sponsor now.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 18:37 (Ref:371489)   #25
Carrie
Veteran

Arse Do they do a route planner then? I know the other two used to have route planners and presume they still do. No idea if Green Flag does.