Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Oct 2002, 06:21 (Ref:411880)   #1
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche in top level ALMS should they do it?

SHould they get balk in to the 675 and 900 divisons of ALMS?I think it would be a nice change if Audi decides not to continue in the top division,and furthemore should BMW come back with the M3's,I say yes,it raises the level of competition for ALMS.
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 24 Oct 2002, 06:47 (Ref:411890)   #2
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Porsche in top level ALMS should they do it?

Quote:
Originally posted by jslone
SHould they get balk in to the 675 and 900 divisons of ALMS?
t's to soon to know what Porsche will do in the future but I think Porsche need to come back to top level of motorsport (LMP900 or LMGTP classes).
Old 24 Oct 2002, 08:32 (Ref:411932)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wish Porsche would come back to the top-level. A nice Porsche LMGTP would be fantastic.

So the answer to your question is YES!

I think that Porsche should return to Le Mans. They have got that silly SUV out of their system now they should start making proper cars. Cars that win Le Mans.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 09:06 (Ref:411940)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Porsche in top level ALMS should they do it?

Quote:
Originally posted by jslone
SHould they get balk in to the 675 and 900 divisons of ALMS?
It doesn't make a difference if they do.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 12:21 (Ref:412071)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its also possible that Porsche will go back to F1 as an engine supplier. Would make no sense to me, but I am not in charge of these things.
I think studies are done all the time and if the mood within the boardroom is right then that is the project that gets the go ahead weather it be F1 LMP FIAGT's or Rally Raids.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 12:28 (Ref:412085)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd always vote for Porsche being involved - sportscar competition is somehow slightly devalued when they aren't competing.

As for the M3, - absolutely not - but then my thoughts on that are quite well known already.......
Old 24 Oct 2002, 13:05 (Ref:412131)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why? They've got nothing left to prove at LeMans.

Hmm... If you ask me, they need to bring back the entry-level 4-cylinder Porsche, as a roadster/coupe with a little 2.0L (optionally turbocharged) engine, and optional all-wheel drive (rear drive with a six-speed being standard).

Then build a rally version and go after the WRC.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 24 Oct 2002 at 13:11.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 15:01 (Ref:412243)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I'll vote for a roofedtop car, a LMGTP... hope for 2004...
Old 24 Oct 2002, 17:19 (Ref:412393)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Why? They've got nothing left to prove at LeMans.

On that basis, no-one would come back after a few wins. Yes, Porsche have dominated Le Mans for so many years, and that's why the race seems to have something missing somehow without them there.

IMO.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 17:31 (Ref:412404)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari have nothing to prove in F1...

Audi have made Le Mans there own recently. Porsche need to redress this.

I agree Aysedasi. There is something missing. The expression "to win Le Mans you need to beat Porsche" will be consigned to history soon.
Please, Porsche, don't let it.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 17:46 (Ref:412423)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2004 I hope when the new rules come into force.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:30 (Ref:412476)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
On that basis, no-one would come back after a few wins.
Well, are they? Three year programs whereever you look.
An event or series shouldn't define itself through its competitors or the cars that run in it. Yes they are important, but it should be possible to take one out, or swap it for another, without the whole house of cards collapsing (e.g. the old DTM, the FIASCC post-333SP). It needs to be more than the sum of its parts. Le Mans certainly is.
"Oh but it's not the same without..." - Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, Talbot, Alfa,... - everyone of them a marque they thought Le Mans couldn't do without. It could.
If they want to compete, fine. If not, somebody else will.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 18:31 (Ref:412478)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
IMO
Old 24 Oct 2002, 19:51 (Ref:412564)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
IMO
Absolutely!

But I do accept what you say. Manufacturers come and go - sometimes I'm not that bothered at the loss (as I wouldn't be right now if Audi shut up shop completely), others I find very disappointing (the most obvious being Toyota's premature withdrawal from Le Mans). But perhaps its just me being silly and romantic about Porsche at Le Mans. I guess people would have said the same about Ferrari when they pulled out after their great successes.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 24 Oct 2002 at 19:52.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 20:01 (Ref:412575)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Manufacturers come and go - sometimes I'm not that bothered at the loss (as I wouldn't be right now if Audi shut up shop completely), others I find very disappointing (the most obvious being Toyota's premature withdrawal from Le Mans).
And if Toyota had stayed on, and achieved the same kind of success as Audi had, you'd be happy to see them go now. What's in a name? - This is why I am convinced that "bring back Porsche" isn't a universal remedy for all that's wrong in sportscar racing. Nor, for that matter, is "bring back Gp.C".
Old 24 Oct 2002, 23:02 (Ref:412747)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I am a massive Jaguar fan (not Jaguar Racing F1 you understand). I would love to see them at Le Mans. But...

Porsche is different.

cyber you are right in what you say, but Porsche at Le Mans. They bring a certain quality. Something that I think we all see in sportscar racing and Le Mans. That certain je ne sais quoi.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 03:36 (Ref:412839)   #17
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think BMW will come back to ALMS at all because they didn't like the way their M3s were penalized with reduced horsepower so they can have equal billing with the Porsche 911s. Porsche will have competition in the GT class with Ferrari and Nissan get into the fray.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 05:54 (Ref:412877)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Interresting debate about Porsche... let's go further on Cy and Ayse-Adam point of view...

The point is to have real competitors on the track ; what we find in Porsche before and Audi now, and found in BMW and Toyota in the late 90', it's the ability of increasing the average level at such a point that, even with more restrictive rules each year, the lap record falls...

Only major car builders could invest enough to do it. In the last 40 years, I can find only one victory of a privateer with a private build car : Rondeau. Others could have win for private teams, but see the cars : top chassis, top engine, top pilots... well, am I making a mistake here ? Even, I don't think there's a lot of privateers able to win...

So, why Porsche ? Strangely, I'm not such a Porsche fan... but I want to see them on the track, because they make the race result more valid, no, not more valid, but... well, I can't find any argument about that. Ferrari, Ford and Porsche are part of the history, and I want to see the history relive on the track again... that's why we were maybe so much moved by the Classic in September... for a lot of those cars, I had the feeling to see the "real" LM cars ! It's fake, I can face it, but afterwards, we build and rebuild the story, then the history, in our very minds... at the end of the 00', maybe will see Audi period as a remarquable time... it's too early now.

Well, I didn't solve the debate about Porsche. I just can't. I hope in the rest of my life to see other races as the 60' races, or the 1999 race : majors car builders fighting hard for the victory... and maybe a privateer winning (Courage !!!).

Last edited by Fab; 25 Oct 2002 at 05:57.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 06:56 (Ref:412889)   #19
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No recent privateer wins....?

1997 Joest Porsche
1996 Joest Porsche
1995 Kokusai Kaihatsu Racing McLaren F1 GTR

These can be considered as non-factory wins I'd say.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 07:06 (Ref:412899)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Fab actually stated 'Privateer in a private built car'. All those mentioned above are in factory cars bought by a privateer.

Last edited by Mal; 25 Oct 2002 at 07:06.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:17 (Ref:413094)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
And if Toyota had stayed on, and achieved the same kind of success as Audi had, you'd be happy to see them go now. What's in a name? - This is why I am convinced that "bring back Porsche" isn't a universal remedy for all that's wrong in sportscar racing. Nor, for that matter, is "bring back Gp.C".

Whilst that might be a reasonable supposition Cy, its actually not true. I make no secret of my thoughts about the Audi, just as I make no secret about my liking of the GT One. If it were still racing now, I'd still love it. (Same as the McLaren F1 - on the other thread).

But I take your point. We don't want to get stuck in a timewarp.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:19 (Ref:413101)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
No recent privateer wins....?

1997 Joest Porsche
1996 Joest Porsche
1995 Kokusai Kaihatsu Racing McLaren F1 GTR

These can be considered as non-factory wins I'd say.
Yep, got yo agree with Mal there. Joest have long been Porsche's favourites as privateers and I find it difficult to look on them as true privateers. The KK McLaren was, at the very least, a semi-works effort.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 10:52 (Ref:423677)   #23
Banks
Rookie

Banks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't been on the forum recently so I don't know if this has been mentioned all ready - has anyone seen this new Brumos Porsche prototype . See the pics at
www.brumosporsche.com/daytona_prototype.html

Now I could definately see this going down well at Le mans
Old 7 Nov 2002, 11:24 (Ref:423693)   #24
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
does it fit le mans rules?

and does anyone know if they plan to race the new carrera gt?
Old 7 Nov 2002, 11:44 (Ref:423706)   #25
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
does it fit le mans rules?

and does anyone know if they plan to race the new carrera gt?
1st Question: is NO, it doesn't fit Le mans rules!!

2nd Question: I guess no one can give you the answer