Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Feb 2003, 23:36 (Ref:511062)   #1
ClassicGP
Rookie

ClassicGP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indianola GP Track Info

I have been searching the net on and off for about 6 months trying to find a picture or some type of info on the International Raceway in Indianola Iowa but have been coming up short. It is still there with the walkways above the track and everything but I would like some more information like pics and how long it was in use etc. Any help would go a long way.

Thank you
Jason
Old 19 Feb 2003, 20:49 (Ref:511911)   #2
Hangtown Healey
Rookie

Hangtown Healey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you talking about Greenwood at Indianola? I went there in 1964 or 66 to watch SCCA Nationals and they were cancelled. I saw an empty track. I have some Des Moines Register newspaper clippings from the era of Chapparal 2C's.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 03:24 (Ref:512144)   #3
ClassicGP
Rookie

If that is what it was called then YES. I guess I never knew what it was called. Do you know where I can get some infor about the track?
Old 20 Feb 2003, 08:14 (Ref:512200)   #4
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greenwood Roadway, sometimes also called Greenwood Raceway. Map as follows:-

Old 20 Feb 2003, 09:41 (Ref:512256)   #5
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Page 7 of this .pdf file has part 2 of a history of Greenwood.If you can bring up the previous issue you get part 1 too.http://www.bmwia.org/NewsWerks/200005.pdf
Old 20 Feb 2003, 09:57 (Ref:512273)   #6
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Part 1 http://www.bmwia.org/NewsWerks/200003.pdf
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:21 (Ref:512944)   #7
ClassicGP
Rookie

I would like to say thank you to all that have replyed to this I was never able to find this much info on my own. I guess I know where to go for the right info now though. Thank you again
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:31 (Ref:512953)   #8
ClassicGP
Rookie

I have some recent pics how do I show them?
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:35 (Ref:512955)   #9
Hangtown Healey
Rookie

Hangtown Healey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since you are from Iowa, I think there was some recent show on Living In Iowa , the public channel show, that mentioned Greenwood. My Dad has sent me a copy of the show, but I haven't looked at it yet. I will let you know.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:39 (Ref:512959)   #10
ClassicGP
Rookie

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\1312_Greenwood1.jpg[img]
Is there an image above?
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:48 (Ref:512967)   #11
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't link to a pic on your hard disk directly. You need to press "post reply" at the bottom of the page and choose the file attachment option.
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:51 (Ref:512970)   #12
ClassicGP
Rookie

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
1312_greenwood1.jpg  
Old 21 Feb 2003, 12:46 (Ref:513350)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ooh more like that please, I'll show you more of a crubling crystal palace or brooklands if you show me more of this track - now I want to go to Iowa
Old 21 Feb 2003, 14:47 (Ref:513451)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ask and ye shall recieve, Mr. Collins! Photos of our great road courses crumbling into dust due to neglect (thank you SCCA )

Firstly, a page devoted to Mid-America Raceway near St. Louis:

http://www.geocities.com/procrast_race/mar_main.html

Tam McPartland has a fantastic site devoted to the California road racing scene of the early '60s, including lots of photos of the Riverside and Paramount Ranch tracks, both now sadly gone forever. Lots of before and after photos:

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/

And finally, one devoted to Illinois' Meadowdale Raceway:

http://www.meadowdaleraceway.homestead.com/

Sadly, we really don't take care of what we've got.

Tam's site also has just loads of vintage photos, like this from Santa Barbara:

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 21 Feb 2003 at 14:53.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 15:08 (Ref:513462)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
nice - right oh - I'm gonna wander up the hill and shoot a roll at the park to show you how much of CP is left.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 15:37 (Ref:513482)   #16
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lee - what the name of the little circuit you have just a few hours from Columbus, I think called ------ Farm or Farms? We went there the day after the pro-sports race and had to start of the back of the grid. Got to 4th before an oil pipe broke. Very pretty, very narrow and like an old girlfriend, slippery when wet.
I think the place was visited by a contingenmt of British Historic races a couple of years ago. Really lovely little circuit, quite like Cadwell without the virtical curves.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 16:23 (Ref:513510)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Is this the one?

http://home.gagme.com/greg/911/track...ps-cinepak.mov

Blackhawk Farms, near Chicago. One the few tracks where you can still find trees to collide with.

That track's murder on brakes, but beautiful. Watching a race is so much more enjoyable when you're close to the track and in the shade.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 17:29 (Ref:513544)   #18
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's the one. Many thanks. As I said, we practised in the wet just three laps and the hairpin was like ice. It felt like you could have walked quicker.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 21:33 (Ref:513683)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Ah, the big turn 3... Sightly off-camber, double-apex... Seems like forever before you can lay into the throttle... Yeah, lotta guys have gone off there, thankfully there's a bit of runoff before you start plowing through bushes and saplings.

The track's still doing good business, it's booked nearly every weekend, so at least that's one the property developers probably won't get their greedy hands on.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 21 Feb 2003 at 21:35.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 07:31 (Ref:513963)   #20
ClassicGP
Rookie

I will have more pics of Greenwood by the end of this month and maybe tomorrow. Depends on weather I do digital or 35mm. I am going tomorrow with the hopes that I can get in. A construction company uses it to test heavy equipment on so the above pic is the only one I have. I do know someone with a race poster and program though and I will try to get that stuff together in the next month or so.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 10:05 (Ref:514010)   #21
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Some pics would be great,There doesn't appear to be any others on the net anywhere,unless they tucked away in some obscure site.