Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Mar 2003, 22:33 (Ref:554298)   #1
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good News !

French newspaper ‘La République du centre’ will report today that
‘a contract has been subscribed today between FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles) and VBM, the local brand of Sportscars. Assuming the fact the VBM is a racing replica of the GT40, VBM will be in charge of the development of the racing version of the NEW GT40 in order to be competitive for the 2004 edition of the LeMans 24. The main goal is to win in 2006 for the 40th anniversary of the fist Ford victory in La Sarthe.
More details will be given soon on the eventual other involvements of this car. By now, VBM is building a new production unit in the suburbs of Orleans. Below is the first shot of the incoming car.’

Attached Thumbnails
vbm2004.jpg  
Old 31 Mar 2003, 23:01 (Ref:554318)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That does look pretty good, the front is very GT40.

I suppose it does depend on how many $$$ Ford is prepared to throw into the pot. Will this beat a full spec Audi ?

That is assuming the ACO give them an entry of course

Simon
Old 1 Apr 2003, 01:48 (Ref:554434)   #3
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they're aiming for Audi; Corvette, Saleen and Ferrari seem to be in the crosshairs. The car certainly looks pretty serious. My concern is those huge intakes on the forward face of the rear fenders. Cooling shouldn't be a problem, but if they stay in the configuration drag certainly could be. It's an exciting prospect no matter how you cut it, though. GTS seems to be attracting all the manufacturers nowadays

On a side note, you've gotta love the decor of that race shop. I never knew a monocoque could add so much color to a room.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 02:21 (Ref:554445)   #4
Burd
Rookie

Burd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car in the photo doesn't remind me of a GT40 at all. It looks a lot more like the Vemac that runs in the JGTC (other than the giant cutouts in the side, of course)...

http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/...acRD320r_4.jpg
Old 1 Apr 2003, 03:47 (Ref:554476)   #5
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesnt look a think like the Vemac.......I can see where you are getting that, but that evaluation isnt very refined!

It does look like a GT40. However, seems like there could be a more efficiant way of cooling than those sides....
Old 1 Apr 2003, 05:49 (Ref:554516)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Good News !

Quote:
Originally posted by Chofar
French newspaper ‘La République du centre’ will report today that
‘a contract has been subscribed today between FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles) and VBM, the local brand of Sportscars. Assuming the fact the VBM is a racing replica of the GT40, VBM will be in charge of the development of the racing version of the NEW GT40 in order to be competitive for the 2004 edition of the LeMans 24. The main goal is to win in 2006 for the 40th anniversary of the fist Ford victory in La Sarthe.
More details will be given soon on the eventual other involvements of this car. By now, VBM is building a new production unit in the suburbs of Orleans. Below is the first shot of the incoming car.
Hey, good news indeed ! And nice car...

BTW, are you from Orleans ?
Old 1 Apr 2003, 05:49 (Ref:554517)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Burd
The car in the photo doesn't remind me of a GT40 at all. It looks a lot more like the Vemac that runs in the JGTC (other than the giant cutouts in the side, of course)...
A real nice car, IMHO...

Last edited by Fab; 1 Apr 2003 at 15:44.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 06:31 (Ref:554546)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Are you sure this has nothing to do with April 1st!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 10:40 (Ref:554722)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
Are you sure this has nothing to do with April 1st!
When I readed the message I thought April 1st!!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 12:04 (Ref:554793)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we've been fooled. But I dearly hope it's true.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 12:29 (Ref:554826)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
seems a bit eclectic that someone should play an april fools joke on sportscar fans....we're not exactly thick on the ground!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 12:36 (Ref:554833)   #12
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that photo looks nothing like the new gt-40
Old 1 Apr 2003, 14:17 (Ref:554932)   #13
Burd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by IanGrohse
Doesnt look a think like the Vemac.......I can see where you are getting that, but that evaluation isnt very refined!

It does look like a GT40. However, seems like there could be a more efficiant way of cooling than those sides....
Sorry, but saying that thing looks like the new GT40 (other than a vague similarity in the bonnet and the headlights) is also a very "unrefined evaluation." It's not as far off base as a Multimatic "Focus" of course, but it isn't anywhere close to resembling an actual GT40.

Old 1 Apr 2003, 14:44 (Ref:554952)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The more i look at it, the more i think that burd is right and that it's a vemac. A few reasons. The colour of the Vemac and the monocoque on the wall are the same. The front end is almost identical, the air scoop on the roof is the same, the fuel thingy is the same, the wheels are spookily similar. And why would they show off their new car with a single seater strung up on the wall, and a Porsche in the background...Very fishey indeed to me...
Old 1 Apr 2003, 14:55 (Ref:554963)   #15
Burd
Rookie

Heh. I don't actually think it *is* a Vemac, I just think it has the same non-descript, somewhat bland "supercar" look to it that the Vemac has .
Old 1 Apr 2003, 15:23 (Ref:554978)   #16
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The real thing about this is that the VBM is more of an evolution of the GT40 than anything else. If this car had been built and raced in the BPR championship of the mid-90's, it would be in a better position towards production numbers. If only the McLaren F1 GTR, Porsche 911 GT-1 and the Ferrari F50 were only able to be brought back in this level would the VBM/GT40 be sensible, otherwise there's no real competition for it even if you did consider the Bentley.

Basically it's just a car design that's out of time...
Old 1 Apr 2003, 15:49 (Ref:554997)   #17
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just looked at their site for the specs, and one thing stood out that I felt FAV will change; the engine.

3L. twin-turbo V6, if Ford is having anything to do with this project, that engine will be gone, and in it's place will be either the 4.7L modular DOHC V8, or the 5L ohv V8. Either way, there will be a "blue oval" in the engine bay of that car, no doubts.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 16:28 (Ref:555030)   #18
Chofar
Racer

Chofar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st: The VBM's lines are inspired by some GT40 replica.
2nd: The 'new' GT40 is nothing but a replica
3rd: Fab, i'm not from Orleans but from 45 anyway !
4th: A better pic would have made a better joke
Old 1 Apr 2003, 21:48 (Ref:555329)   #19
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm a dope...
Old 2 Apr 2003, 05:04 (Ref:555531)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
I'm a moron...

Where in 45 ? I'm from here too ! (sorry friends, typical french talk !)

Last edited by Fab; 2 Apr 2003 at 05:05.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 07:32 (Ref:555580)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where/what is "45" pray tell?
Old 2 Apr 2003, 07:43 (Ref:555587)   #22
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Where/what is "45" pray tell?
All French Departments have a number, La Sarthe is 72, so all post codes in the Sarthe begin with 72. I assume 45 is the area around Orleans.

You also see this number on the registration plates of cars.

FG
Old 2 Apr 2003, 09:14 (Ref:555649)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want that car, the front is very GT40, but thats about where it ends.
If anyone has a spare $600,000 thay can buy an Mark 2 GT40, built to the original Holman & Moody specifications, the cars are built by Lee Holman, the son of the co-founder, John Holman.
I think im gonna start saving. This is from possibly the best GT400 site i have ever found, http://www.gt40.org.uk/Features/Holman.htm
its a good site, doesn't mention anything like that though.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 09:52 (Ref:555676)   #24
Rcutler
Rookie

Rcutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT40???

at a first glance i noticed porsche 911 lines to it. Comparing the the car to the 911 in the back the overhangs look about right and even the main cockpit is similar just a little lower. I am no expert but I think it is just a modified 911.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 11:22 (Ref:555744)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
All French Departments have a number, La Sarthe is 72, so all post codes in the Sarthe begin with 72. I assume 45 is the area around Orleans.

You also see this number on the registration plates of cars.

FG

Sorry - I should have realised that - I realise the car connection now.