Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:19 (Ref:576511)   #1
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minassian fired????

It seems that Brand Motorsports have fired Nicolas Minassian, because he has some argues with the team management. A driver with a big budget seems to replace him, is that Phil Giebler?

--- this is the official press realise ---

Martin Kendrick, Team Principal of Brand Motorsports, has announced that the team has terminated the services of Nicolas Minassian.

The team’s management made the decision jointly immediately following the Thursday qualifying session but the outcome not communicated to Nicolas until after the race and the teams return to the UK. Martin Kendrick said that the team had talks at Imola with a replacement driver who was in the running for a seat earlier in the year until his budget fell through. This driver maybe announced later this week.

Martin Kendrick said that the main reason for the decision was based on the behaviour of Nicolas in the pit lane during free practice and qualifying and it would not have been over turned even if he had won the race on Saturday. He went on to say that when things are going well for Nicolas he is the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, but when they are not, he is a completely different person. During the free practice session on Thursday Kendrick said Nicolas threatened a team member, which is clearly unacceptable behaviour from a professional driver or anyone else for that matter and the team had to make an immediate decision. Nicolas needs to curb his temper as he has already had problems in his F3 days when he lost the championship, but many thought that this behaviour was behind him.

Earlier in the week leading up to the race, Nicolas decided he did not wish to do F3000 again but this decision was later withdrawn and he said he wanted to do the season with the team.

Kendrick went on to say that he was very disappointed at this outcome as, until this incident, he had considered Nicolas a friend and one who would be a long term member of the team.

source = f3000.com

Last edited by Daisy; 22 Apr 2003 at 14:24.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:32 (Ref:576521)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Goodness. Back in '97 again... Poor old Minassian, but then, if the report is true, he has only himself to blame.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:34 (Ref:576524)   #3
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find the report is not 100% correct...
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:35 (Ref:576528)   #4
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooops
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:38 (Ref:576530)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much correct is it?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:43 (Ref:576534)   #6
Fan
Veteran

Probably about 1% :-) Joking. Just saying that there's always two sides to the story. Was anyone at San Marino watching the F3000's? Do you really think Minassian would screw up a (I presume) free drive in F3000 with the possibility of a ChampCar drive when he has nothing else on the table?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:54 (Ref:576549)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very strange situation here. Would Minassian really threaten a team member, unless things were going very badly for the team on the weekend? Especially if his deal included the CART races (which they are supposed to be contesting, although little has been said of this in months, despite macdaddy's post on the CART forum seeking info), which sounds like an ideal chance to get his career back on track.

Would a rookie team really go onto the track with two rookies (Paffett and Giebler), neitehr of whom know the cars or tracks?

Could it be that this is a cover-up, and Nicholas has simply been outbid?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:58 (Ref:576554)   #8
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when i surfed to the zele-racing website (of TWS) there was a guestbook entry, asking whether Nicolas Minassian is going to replace Tuka Rocha, this entry was deleted...could it mean that nic is really replacing tuka at zele?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:24 (Ref:576585)   #9
F1naWeb
Rookie

F1naWeb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brand has the money to catch other goods drivers. Jaime Melo, Augusto Farfus, Heikki Kovalainen, Robbie Keer (who might be replaced by Magnussen in Den Bla Avis)...
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:23 (Ref:576655)   #10
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't wish to sound cynical and maybe it is just my primitive computer, but the f3000.com article claims to be a release sourced from brandmotorsports.com. I can't seem to see this news on the Brand site - where did the release come from? Maybe I need a trip to PC World...
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:26 (Ref:576657)   #11
Fan
Veteran

I don't think the Brand Motorsport website has been updated for ages. No mention of drivers, results, etc etc. Probably just a quick release sent out before Autosport/Motoring News went out to press.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:44 (Ref:576676)   #12
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe there was some kind of argument and it was just the kind of excuse to fire Minassian?!?!?

By the way, I did verify the source of the email before posting the article!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:47 (Ref:576680)   #13
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't doubting you DanFlag, merely pointing out that f3000.com say the statement came from the Brand website and I can't see it there. I'm sure it's perfectly legit. Seems a little harsh to fire Minassian for this. Surely if what he did was so terrible you would boot him out there and then rather than work with him for a few more days before sacking him.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 17:21 (Ref:576704)   #14
Conrod
Rookie

Ireland
Conrod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This appears to be the just the latest chapter in the Brand Motorsport saga.
The truth is that Martin Kendrick is totally out of his depth in trying to run an International F.3000 team. He had a massive turnover of staff before the cars even turned a wheel. He has alienated himself from all the other team owners, and the governing body with his ridiculous behaviour, and laughable threats.

I was at Imola, and the whole Brand Motorsport presentation looked very third rate. Kendrick wandered the paddock looking more like a tramp than a team owner. The team were the last to set the truck and awning up and supplies appeared to be very limited. I have it on good authority that on the qualifying day, Minassian had to go to his old team, Super Nova, to get mineral water for his drinks bottle. In fact, he did seem to spend a lot of time chatting to various Super Nova team members. Maybe, this is what annoyed Mr. Kendrick.

Whilst I do not condone threatening behaviour, I believe the team member who was allegedly threatened to be Mr Kendrick himself. Maybe there is a lesson for him there. If you hire a top driver - provide him with top support and equipment.

I do hope that Brand Motorsport continue in F.3000. Too often in these days of professionalism, the atmosphere in the paddock can be dour and listless. The presence of Mr Kendrick has certainly raised a few chuckles - long may he stay and entertain us!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 17:42 (Ref:576722)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope it won't be a valuable chance for Mazzacane to return. If Kendrick gets him for the budget, and Gastón talks with Astromega team members (his old team), Gastón will race for Barcelona only!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 17:42 (Ref:576723)   #16
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't Minassian have (in all probablility) won the 1997 British F3 title if he hadn't had that altercation with a backmarker?
(thus picking up a ban)
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:21 (Ref:576776)   #17
pit/boy
Rookie

pit/boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The team and Kendrick are a Class A Joke? bet they dont see the end of the season?.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 18:36 (Ref:576805)   #18
windup1
Rookie

windup1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Kendrick was a joke when he raced in BARC Formula Renault. he would not spend the extra few quid on new tyres 'cos.." He couldn't see the need".
A dreamer out of his depth as a driver and as a team owner.........Well.........Nicolas is well out of it.
I think Kendrick asked Father XMas for a cowboy outfit.......and he got it..........a race team !!!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 19:56 (Ref:576943)   #19
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read an interesting story about Minassian on a dutch forum, unfortunately I cannot translate it, it's very interessting. It's about Thruxton 1997, with Kane and Bentwood.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:00 (Ref:576954)   #20
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentwood took the fists of fury from Minasian... if i remember correctly
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:28 (Ref:577004)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and he's doing nicely thank you very much in touring cars now. showing he's got a tad more class.

i can't see it being beyond minassian punching the lights out of someone let alone threatening them.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:34 (Ref:577024)   #22
Conrod
Rookie

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
i can't see it being beyond minassian punching the lights out of someone let alone threatening them.
Any evidence at all to back up your claim??

Oh - and don't forget, didn't our F1 World Champion go looking to punch Coulthard's lights out, a couple of years ago in Spa?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 20:56 (Ref:577104)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not in the slightest, just heresay which is of course the same as most on this board in the first place. past record of picking a fight with a backmarker (on the track no less) tends to suggest a slight violent tendency.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 21:08 (Ref:577151)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well given Bentwood's 'talent' at the time, I cant blame him.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 21:11 (Ref:577159)   #25
Conrod
Rookie

Ireland
Bella

Motor racing is an aggressive sport. Cars have to be driven aggressivly - overtaking manoevres require aggression etc. Occasionally this aggresssion overflows into some kind of 'situation'. Most drivers have experienced at least one of these 'situations'. Unfortunately, for Nicolas, his was captured on TV.