No 3 10.34%
Dont Know 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:11 (Ref:624445)   #1
Ej10
Racer

Ej10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan to sue vodafone

Jordan are suing vodafone over the mobile phone giant signing to sponser the team and then jumping ship to ferrari in the winter of 2001/2002.

Jordan are rumored to be suing for 200million!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:16 (Ref:624447)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they win...but I doubt they will.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:20 (Ref:624450)   #3
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I hope they win also. Jordan could use the money that's for sure. Vodafone is everywhere now and I have a little issue with certain people constantly playing with their cellphones so I hope they nail em!
Not likely though.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:23 (Ref:624454)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It seems to have been brought up rather late, so money must be getting extremely desperate at Jordan. Hope they win!
Attached Thumbnails
guitar.jpg  
Old 8 Jun 2003, 12:35 (Ref:624475)   #5
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It depends how far advanced the deal with Vodafone had gone. If contrats were signed - then sue away, but I doubt if they were, because surely they would have done it by now if they had a good case. Would have been great for Jordan to get the Vodafone sponsorship though.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 13:24 (Ref:624527)   #6
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would have been great for jordan to get the sponcership deal wouldn't it, spesh as jordan try so hard to appeal to the younger generations (this may be something that only works in my world though, lol) but vodafone wouldn't have made them drop the groovy yellow colour scheme would they? at least it colour co-ordinates with ferrari? (anotha thing that works only in my world i think)
Old 8 Jun 2003, 14:21 (Ref:624568)   #7
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sort of turns against Jordan's happy style doesnt it.

I have never heard of anything about this previously, so the probably dont have a very good case, and it has only really been thought of since they have been a little bit lower down in money.

Im doubting they will win.

Either that, or Vodafone will sponsor them after all.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 16:02 (Ref:624676)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
How the hell can this be a poll? Does anyone know anything about the legal issues or facts or stakes? Without that no-one can give an informed opinion.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:53 (Ref:624779)   #9
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. If they'd put stuff on paper and then backed out from perliminary contracts then I can understand them wanting to take time, make sure their legal grond was firm...

But if they're just being desperate or it's a rumour I won't be at all surprised.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:57 (Ref:624782)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Indeed. This poll is the first I'd heard of the whole business, and I voted 'Don't Know' because, well, I don't know...
Old 8 Jun 2003, 17:59 (Ref:624784)   #11
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are sponsoring Ferrari AND ManU. I say: Sue those putos!

Last edited by 429CJ; 8 Jun 2003 at 18:00.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:39 (Ref:625032)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found something about this from a respectable F1 news site

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11289.html

Quote:
Vodafone is being sued for $225m by the Jordan Formula One team, which is claiming that the mobile phone company reneged on a deal to sponsor the team. Jordan is claiming that Vodafone agreed to fund the team and then walked away from the deal when an arrangement with Ferrari was offered. The case will be heard in the next few days. The talks with Jordan took place at the start of last year.

Vodafone says the claim is "wholly without merit"

It is understood that the case is one reason why there have been problems with the F1 "fighting fund" as payments to Jordan are being blocked because of the legal action.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:23 (Ref:625069)   #13
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go to it jordan
Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:25 (Ref:625071)   #14
jbisminesothere
Rookie

United Kingdom
the middle of nowhere
jbisminesothere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GO JORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9 Jun 2003, 03:26 (Ref:625273)   #15
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes of course,and I hope they win
Old 9 Jun 2003, 05:35 (Ref:625292)   #16
Jalt
Rookie

Jalt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez that is a bit late...

or maybe Jordan doesn't have enough money to hire lawyers to advise them that this legal action might indeed be "without merit"....in which case they'll lose more money if they have to pay the legal costs of the other side.

But could alway bring in Verstappen who will in turn bring in the dough (sorry to Jos fans!!!!)
Old 9 Jun 2003, 05:45 (Ref:625293)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I hope they loose.

Think about the bigger picture racefans. Will this attract much needed sponsors to the sport or scare them off?

If they really had a valid contract then Vodaphone will loose. It as it's most likely bitterness rather than a legal battle.

I'm willing to bet this is just some PR payback from Jordan and nothing will come from it.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 06:10 (Ref:625296)   #18
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't hope they lose, though I don't know if it is a good idea for the sport. If Vodaphone reached some kind of agreement then pulled out, (Which is the only time I imagine you could even think about lawsuits. Though this day and age...) I'd imagine Jordan could well have felt they'd had a good amount of their time wasted not pursuing other leads while they had something substantial from Vodaphone.
Even if it isn't on paper though I can understand the frustration, because they really can't chase up other leads because they could potentially damage negotiations with Vodaphone.

Personally they should stop wasting time with legal action and get busy hunting down someone like Siemens, some major Asian brewer or something big like that in the new markets Bernie is pushing towards.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 17:45 (Ref:626175)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There must be loads of sponsors out there who'd like to associate with Jordan. They're an appealing, attractive team that stands out in the sterilised modern F1. Surely someone is out there!
Old 9 Jun 2003, 17:49 (Ref:626178)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unfortunately I don't think there is. A lot of potential sponsors would also like to win!

Additionally for a lot of global big companies out there now is not the time to spend money on something as frivolous as F1.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 17:56 (Ref:626191)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the £150 million must be for lost sponsorship money?

If Jordan have a case, then they should go for it - I can't see them going ahead with something like this if they haven't - they couldn't afford to have to give Vodafone damages.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 18:58 (Ref:626272)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So they agreed to sign. Surely there is no agreement until they sign!? Sounds like Eddie Jordan spinning a few stories for PR to me. When he stops threatening to sue and actually puts some proper money into actually taking action we can start listening. Threatening to sue is about as meaningful as agreeing to sign-up.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 19:09 (Ref:626294)   #23
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Even if Vodafone haven't signed anything, I guess Jordan must have letters of intent, or tentative contracts or something along those lines which they believe are proof that Vodafone was going to be giving them sponsorship money.

They'd have to be a bunch of idiots otherwise...
Old 9 Jun 2003, 22:52 (Ref:626569)   #24
Jalt
Rookie

Jalt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey Logrence...did you take contract law or sumthin....

anyway I would not mind if Voda loses....poor Jordan. Poor Fisico (don't care about Firman ).
Old 10 Jun 2003, 08:24 (Ref:626820)   #25
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
It's just stuff I've picked up from the company I help run - we've had suppliers in the past who have reneged on deals and we've taken them to court...