Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jul 2003, 22:50 (Ref:671490)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tagliani: How good is he?

Just curious what people think of Alex Tagliani as a driver thus far....

I was a fan of his ever since he joined the team, and almost won a number of races in his first season. After that he was much more mediocre...running mid pack much more often with only the occasional run at the front. He's been in Cart a long time now without a win. However, this year he's really improved and seems to be running near the front a lot more...he's had a few podiums and is consistently in the top 5. He was running a strong second in Toronto until making a mistake and then contact with Junqueira.

Anyway, what do you think he's capable of. Win this year? Win many races? Championship challenge next year? He's been here a while without a win, but then so was Jourdain...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:02 (Ref:671496)   #2
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he is actually good enough for CART. I was always suprised he got the drive. I remember 3 drivers having a sort of race-off for the seat (Lee Bentham and Empringham the other two).

Bentham was fastest of the three and was the 98 Atlantic champion (Tag's team-mate) and a race winner in Indy Lights in 97.

David Empringham was a two-time Atlantic and Indy Lights champion as well, so how Tag got the drive is still a mistery to me.

What has happened to Bentham and Empringham since this test in late 99?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:09 (Ref:671502)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not brilliant, but pretty damn good. Better than Carpentier.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:11 (Ref:671503)   #4
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tag's good enough. He can win. Like you said, Jay, he had many chances in his rookie season, and just made some rookie mistakes. Second season, I recall he had a big lead on a street course somewhere and mechanical failure took him out of the race. He's in a first year team (granted, they have experienced people) but look what he's done. Podiums, top fives, top tens. He's consistently in the points, and just a few mechanical problems, and a couple of accidents where he just made mistakes. A little more consitency would put him higher in the points, and he's ahead of guys like Moreno and Vasser. I don't think you can really say he hasn't proven that he belongs, and that he's not fast. He just needs to prove that he can win, and so far this weekend he's been up in and around the top five... But I'm biased because he's my favorite.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:13 (Ref:671505)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Tags got the drive because he was a young, reasonably good looking French-Italian Canadian driver, and fitted in much better with Player's marketing than Bentham or Empringham..

It's a shame about Lee Bentham, I'm sure he would have had a few wins by now.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:46 (Ref:671532)   #6
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never really thought Tags was that great of a driver until this year. I really thought Empringham should have gotten the drive but Player's is from the east so there was a definate bias. I believe, if I remember right, Bentham was actually the fastest in those tests. Back to Tags, this season he has proven to be quite an asset to Rocketsports. He seems to know more about car setup etc than I believed possible. His on track speed has shown this. He still however needs to win a race to get full recognition for his talents.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:51 (Ref:671538)   #7
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Empringham is also from the East, unless you are putting the east-west border between Ontario and Quebec...
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:39 (Ref:671564)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Definately the Quebec-Ontario boarder... but I think it had more to do with Alex being younger, reasonably good looking, French-Italian Canadian..active lifestyle - he fit perfectly into Player's marketing.

He was incredibly busy, overworked, and visibly frustrated and irritated in Toronto...I wonder how Montreal will be!
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:06 (Ref:671605)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hard to say. At first he definately looked better than Carpantier. PC had his moments earlier in his career, but cooled off in the middle part. Tag looked better during this time period. PC looked really good for much of last year and Tag was doing pretty poorly. Now with the exception of Laguna, PC has looked a bit poor while Tag has looked pretty good in his lesser team/car.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:07 (Ref:671607)   #10
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Evo, I should have been more clear that I meant he was from Quebec where Player's is situated. Player's has notoriously favoured French drivers, which of course is there perogative.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:45 (Ref:671656)   #11
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
That's because Quebec has an outstanding racing culture, and perhaps the highest percentage of smokers in North America. Probably marketing again.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 05:25 (Ref:671667)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tags is great ever since he was subbing a few years ago and led so many laps at Emo Speedway I was hooked-this guy is a real talent, too bad he lost it under the pressure with 4 laps to go. But tags is way better than the comprable Patreeek whom I rate as luckier and with good machinery over any real talent, the right FrenchCanadien at the right time for the ride. Moore rules, Tags is awesome and Tracy knows what's up..
Old 26 Jul 2003, 05:35 (Ref:671669)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
That's one of the reasons I really respect Tag. He had some big shoes to fill, and did an excellent job. No one could replace Moore, however.