Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 8 Aug 2003, 22:29 (Ref:683326)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Compolsury Pitstops to be Introduced into F3000 as Early as Hungary!?

SOURCE: Formula3000.net

Compulsory pit stops could be introduced to Formula 3000 as early as the next race at the Hungaroring, in a bid to improve the spectacle.

It is one of a number of measures discussed at a meeting at Hockenheim last weekend. Others include moving the races to Sunday morning, and changing the qualifying format to a "Superpole" like that in the DTM German Touring Car series.

However no final decisions were made on the changes, and there is believed to be a split among the teams over how much the championship needs to change.

ENDS:/

Personally Id be behind pitstops being introduced, its one of the many things F3000 needs at the moment. A step in the right direction if u ask me.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 06:44 (Ref:683460)   #2
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hate pitstops, the viewer, especially on the track, doesn't know the positions of the drivers plus it will result in less overtaking
Old 9 Aug 2003, 06:57 (Ref:683469)   #3
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In some F3000 races there has been no overtaking at all in the top positions. There have been races where the top 6 (when the points went down to 6th) remained static from lap 1 to the chequered flag.

This can only be a good thing.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 07:23 (Ref:683482)   #4
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
changing positions only caused by pitstops is as boring as static positions at least from my point of view....

Last edited by flor; 9 Aug 2003 at 07:24.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 09:13 (Ref:683533)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the main reasons why pitstops ahven't been used in the past is down to the cost. Mosat F3000 teams are running on a shoestring, and so many teams have dropped out or lost significant backing in the last year as it is. In any case, the changes should wait until 2004. One way or another, the F3000 guys need mroe track time, I think that's one of the main reasons why the series isn't so highly regarded by some team owners.

I think the FIA should start funding F3000 teams in an attempt to make the series a more real feeder to F1, and help teams financially stay afloat.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 11:02 (Ref:683596)   #6
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about time.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 19:57 (Ref:683825)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Compolsury Pitstops to be Introduced into F3000 as Early as Hungary!?

Quote:
Compulsory pit stops could be introduced to Formula 3000 as early as the next race at the Hungaroring, in a bid to improve the spectacle.
Pah! Improve the spectacle my a**e.

Quote:
changing the qualifying format to a "Superpole" like that in the DTM German Touring Car series.
That's more like it, let's see some driver skill under pressure, rather than races being decided on the whim of the refuelling device or a wheel-gun.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 17:29 (Ref:684342)   #8
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do teams practice pitstop a lot?
Old 13 Aug 2003, 09:47 (Ref:686956)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's confirmed now - F3000 will feature pitstops as from Hungary, prior to a full-time introduction in 2004. Enjoy the added 'spectacle', those of you who still watch F3000

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=24194&s=10
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:34 (Ref:687016)   #10
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be a mess!

The last thing F3000 needs at the moment is added expence.

When teams start to do this, some will probably mess up (especially this year as they have not had that much time to get ready). You could see someone leading an event (my quite a way) loosing 20 seconds in the pit stops and any chance of points.

This is a crazy move, it will not add anything to the racing and will drive more teams away. The is the last thing F3000 needs.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 11:36 (Ref:687018)   #11
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by x_dt
This can only be a good thing.
Why is this??????????????

You mean its a good thing that winning the race is taken away from the driver and put on which teams can change tyres faster??/??

In F3000 everything is supposed to be equal and a driver series.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:01 (Ref:687037)   #12
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hummm I'm quite curious to see how it will go
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:29 (Ref:687065)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Why is this??????????????

You mean its a good thing that winning the race is taken away from the driver and put on which teams can change tyres faster??/??

In F3000 everything is supposed to be equal and a driver series.
So? Isnt that what its supposed to be like in the SWS, Nippon and CART too? (Ok CART has about 4 Reynard chasis but other than that everything is identical) the best talent still shines through in all of these categories, so I really dont see a problem with it. In fact I think its a good thing, will defintly make it more intresting for the spectator at home. Seems like the FIA have made the RIGHT move once again.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 16:06 (Ref:687269)   #14
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've found from watching CART that it adds some drama- yes, positions can be won when a driver has a competent crew to get him back on track quickly, and vice-versa.

Realistically, it would be nice if the stops weren't contrived, that is to say, if they really needed 4 new tires or a load of fuel. It appears that the need for tires may be genuine- those Avons just seem to come up a bit short at many races.

In any case, if the TV crews do a good job, plan to see some interesting displays of crews working under intense pressure trying to get their guy out. There is nothing to lose for the spectator!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:41 (Ref:687331)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this to just cover up the lack of racing? However, I think, this had already been decided for next year, so I suppose from that basis it is a good idea to give it a trial run now the driver's title is settled.

Could be fun at the first race when the teams have had little practice.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:06 (Ref:687398)   #16
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
So? Isnt that what its supposed to be like in the SWS, Nippon and CART too? (Ok CART has about 4 Reynard chasis but other than that everything is identical) the best talent still shines through in all of these categories, so I really dont see a problem with it. In fact I think its a good thing, will defintly make it more intresting for the spectator at home. Seems like the FIA have made the RIGHT move once again.
I don't think you can compair CART and F3000. CART is supposed to be the top of its tree (I don't want this to turn into a CART-IRL thing) and has one-make support series in Toyota Atlantic (Do they have pit stops in that?). F3000 isn't a top of its tree series, its 'supposed to be' the main feeder series to F1 where everything is equal.

CART is not equal (13 wins to Lola and 0 wins to Reynard this year) and no where that I have seen is it supposed to be one make in chassis terms.

Adding pitstops to F3000 will NOT make the racing better or add anything to the series apart from costs and the last thing F3000 needs is more costs.

F3000 needs to attract new teams, not drive them away.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:18 (Ref:687412)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
esorniloc, no Toyota Atlantic does not have pit stops.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Fran-Am/FRenault V-6 series that has (or will have) pit stops...

And you're right again in that Cart is not at all equal...even though there is currently a ban on chassis development, the Lola's the top teams are using are nothing like the Lola's the backmarkers are using...same with teh Reynards. There are about 12 drivers with cars capable of winning races, and the rest are just looking for points.

To be honest, I'm not sure I see the point of F3000 anymore if it's going to take drivers in their early 20s and keep them there til their in their mid-20s... especially when F1 is hiring straight out of F3...and in one case even FRenault. I'm curious as to how Renault V6s compare...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:687469)   #18
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Is this to just cover up the lack of racing?
It *does* introduce something into F3000 that's already present in F1.

So if F3000 is supposed to be preparing drivers for F1, this new rule makes perfect sense.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 20:23 (Ref:687501)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Good point, I was speaking with Ryan Hunter-Reay earlier this year, and he said one of the biggest things for him to get used to was pit stops in Cart...coming from Atlantic where there aren't any.

In many ways it's a wonder that drivers don't face pit stops until they get to the top.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Aug 2003, 11:26 (Ref:688001)   #20
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, why not reduce the size of the fuel tanks so they have to stop, rather than introducing compulsory stops?

For example, in the CART race at Brands Hatch, it resulted in a lights-to-flag procession on low fuel.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 12:06 (Ref:688040)   #21
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Well, why not reduce the size of the fuel tanks so they have to stop, rather than introducing compulsory stops?

For example, in the CART race at Brands Hatch, it resulted in a lights-to-flag procession on low fuel.
I don't think they have to refuel in the pit-stops its just to change tyres. If F3000 teams had to invest in equipment for refueling the costs would rocket. I mean even the best F1 teams (Williams Ferrari and McLaren) have all had problems refueling this year and if they can't get it right what chance has small teams like Super Nova?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 12:13 (Ref:688048)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Artificial pitstops that fundamentally aren't required don't do anything for the races.

If the tyres aren't worn, the fuel tank isn't dry, why is there a need for pitstops? (I wish they'd ditch them from F1 as well) Sure, Formula 3000 needs help, but this just makes it more of a joke.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 12:15 (Ref:688051)   #23
flor
Veteran

i totally agree racer69
Old 14 Aug 2003, 12:34 (Ref:688074)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The thing is, racer69, is F3000's aim to produce exciting races or produce Formula 1 drivers? If it wanted to produce exciting races, there are all kinds of things they could do, but it wouldn't help the drivers prepare for F1 (I'm not sure it does now either...F3000 seems to supply F1's backmarkers).

Whether they move to F1, Cart or sportscar racing, pit stops are something they will have to deal with. So, wouldn't it be a good skill to learn in the lower ranks?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 13:07 (Ref:688122)   #25
flor
Veteran

did one f1 newcomer have problems to learn it in f1?