Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:48 (Ref:720085)   #1
amac
Rookie

amac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Complain to BAR and BAT

Guys we need to hit BAR/BAT where it hurts. Let em know we're out there and with the loss of JV so goes our support. I want to start an email campaign to let them know we care.

Amac

On behalf of millions of Jacques Villeneuve worldwide:

I implore you, the executives of BAT, to exercise your rights as owners of the BAR racing team! Millions of JV/BAR fans out there from Asia to Canada are extremely disappointed in you and the sport with recent events. If you believe the press, which seems awfully connected on this particular story, JV is out and some third rate driver, who happens to be Japanese is in.

I hope you are incorporating the impact of this desision as you seek to capitalize on the last two years of your participation in F1. Millions of investment dollars will now be spent supporting an unperforming team, minus its largest asset, and F1's top personality. Not to mention one of its legends.

Your investment in JV has not gone unnoticed, nor I hope has our support. He owes you a debt of gratitude, and I'm sure BAT feels some responsibility for JV's situation as he shunned other offers to stay in your cockpit and remain your brighest, most visible spokesperson.

Kind regards,

Al..
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:00 (Ref:720095)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum, Al. You are the second big Jacques fan to join today, must have been something about Monza that brought it out.

Good luck with the campaign! I'm not sure it'll work though. A lot of people like Jacques here, a lot have a different view!

I can think of at least one who would disagree with the third rate Japanese bit. Me too actually, I think Sato is better than that. Although I think it'd be a shame if F1 lost Jacques.

You raise some good points, though. He does give them some exposure, but does he give enough? And in the ways they want it? He doesn't do too many promotional days does he?

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Sep 2003 at 22:01.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 22:17 (Ref:720104)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome amac! I hope you don't mean Sato when you say third rate Japanese driver!!

Forza Taku!!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:27 (Ref:720161)   #4
CobraSVT
Rookie

CobraSVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you see.. if Jacques stays with BAR, then he's doomed to car breakdowns and slowness. BAR could, however, improve their team effort, improve their speed and car parts. I don't see that happening.
This is what I do not like with the F1, here, the car makes the driver. Switch Micheal and Jacques around.. Jacques will win as many or probobly more races then Micheal usually does, and Micheal will be doomed like Jacques is now.

Maybe if they decide to make all cars regulated to the same speed, the true talent will shine, just like in Champ Car series, and there will be WAY more variety.
I'm quite tired of hearing Ferrari this and Ferrari that.

I'm certain Frank Williams would like to have Jacques back with him. Mr. Williams was the one who made the comment about "There is no way Villeneuve will retire, he is too young and it would be a waste of talent". In a sense meaning that if Villeneuve has nowhere to go, he'll probobly pick him up.
There are so many possibilities.
Villeneuve is #1 and will always be. But also F1 won't be coming to Montreal next year.. where Villeneuve is the favorite..
I guess time will tell.

I just hope either he leaves from BAR, or BAR improves a hell lot.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:35 (Ref:720166)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by CobraSVT
Switch Micheal and Jacques around.. Jacques will win as many or probobly more races then Micheal usually does, and Micheal will be doomed like Jacques is now.

Welcome Cobra... Sorry to spoil the Jacque$ love-in but...

Michael went to a struggling team, and built himself a team that has taken him to 3 WDC's (so far). Jacque$ went to a struggling team (ok a new team) and... well, struggled.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:36 (Ref:720167)   #6
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you have got my full support there amac!!! But I have to admit Sato isn't that bad...however no way should JV lose his seat to him.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 01:24 (Ref:720210)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Welcome Cobra... Sorry to spoil the Jacque$ love-in but...

Michael went to a struggling team, and built himself a team that has taken him to 3 WDC's (so far). Jacque$ went to a struggling team (ok a new team) and... well, struggled.
Well, Michael built his team by poaching the best he had at Benetton - Brawn and Todt. That's like if Jacques had've taken Adrian Newey and Frank Williams to BAR.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Sep 2003, 02:49 (Ref:720235)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
How many Villeneuve threads does one forum need?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 03:10 (Ref:720244)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
True enough Paul. But the fact he wasn't able to lure anyone of any stature (or even have the initiative to try) speaks volumes.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 03:42 (Ref:720258)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is about more than just being a fast racer. JV has not even been that fast lately, or maybe JB is very underrated. At the start of the season JV went out of his way to make Button look like some incompitent kid. He has also been bashing BAR and Honda for years to the press but still he stayed there because no one wanted him. There are quite a few drivers I would rather see in the seat than him, Sato may or may not be one. My judgement is still out on him. Sato has had his moments, but never really impressed me, well except for his last race.

At the same time I hope JV does stay in F1. He races very hard and is definately entertaining to watch. Maybe Toyota will fire OP and get JV, after all they do have a tendency to scoop up everything Honda discards.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 04:09 (Ref:720266)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Panis is confirmed at Toyota next year Neil, so thats another door closed for Jacques.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 04:18 (Ref:720269)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched EuroSportsNews...Takuma Sato may drive for BAR next season, bet Sato San would be delighted to hear this..
Old 16 Sep 2003, 06:12 (Ref:720301)   #13
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
At the start of the season JV went out of his way to make Button look like some incompitent kid.
All Jacques said at the beginning of the season was that Button had not even achieved a podium (and still hasn't!) and he was being touted as the next WDC for BAR! This was a slap in face to JV, seeing as he built the team and is a former WDC! All Jacques said was that Jenson needed to prove himself as a true world champion contender, and maybe Jacques would see him as one now.

Quote:
He has also been bashing BAR and Honda for years to the press
When exactly has JV bashed BAR and Honda?!? Apart from stating the obvious that they need to improve, or is that bashing to you? Perhaps drivers should just shut-up and put on a happy face no matter what **** the factory churns out for them? The only bashing I have heard JV utter was towards DR at the beginning of the season. Villeneuve has had all the reason in the world to stick it to BAR and Honda this season, as his teammate races with near perfect reliability while his own car rarely finishes a race! Perhaps the bashing you talk about in the press is just that, the creation of the press, based very little on substance, as was most of the make believe Jenson-JV bickering at the beginning of the season.

Quote:
but still he stayed there because no one wanted him.
Nobody wanted him?!? What exactly are you on neilap? Jacques had numerous options back in 2001 when his first BAR contract was up (not to mention the large deal put forth by Briatore and Renault) but he chose to stay with BAR. Why? Because he didn't want to walk away from BAR and Honda just yet, he belived all the promises that your favorite engine supplier told him. BAR is Jacques' baby he has said that numerous times, and he belives, as you do, that they and Honda will make good one day. Even though he should have given up and moved on long ago, he hasn't because he seems to understand something many current F1 bosses do not; loyalty and dedication!

Honda have stated in the past that they realise the sacrifice JV has made for this team and they (at one point) wanted to pay him back for that sacrifice with a winning engine. IMO they and BAR owe JV the opportunity to get back on top, if they can. They shouldn't shun the one guy who made this team possible.

Last edited by TeddyG; 16 Sep 2003 at 06:17.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 06:29 (Ref:720307)   #14
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
So in reality the only year Villeneuve's services have not been in demand has been this year, largely due to the fault of Honda and BAR not giving him a reliable car to finish races. Doesn't anybody think it's a little weak to make a statement that JV hasn't been wanted when that is only true for one unlucky year out of his whole eight year career?
Honestly who would have said this time last year that JV didn't deserve to be in F1? Not anybody with any sanity. So isn't it a little shallow to do so after one lousy year? C'mon give the guy a break he is an ex world champ for pete's sake!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 06:50 (Ref:720317)   #15
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
C'mon give the guy a break he is an ex world champ for pete's sake!
Exactly!!!!!!!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 07:01 (Ref:720323)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL how am I, or even BAT, supposed to take this seriously when the letter calls Sato a third rate driver, and makes the assumption that he has no fans himself, and somehow imply that there is something wrong with Sato being Japanese (though Japan does allow Tobacco ads, another strike against JVil).

Paul, JVil got to bring his personal engineer Jock Clear with him to BAR, but if he is that great to work with you would think the engineers would jump to work with him. Poaching is only good if you get the right people, and Ferrari aren't the only team that does that *cough*Toyota*cough*.

Teddy, when you are done, remember this gem from JVil:

Quote:
"If I don't beat him, I'd better stay at home because that would mean I don't belong in F1,” Jacques was quoted as saying. "I'm not starting the season thinking: 'I have to beat Jenson' I don't care about Jenson! He hasn't shown anything yet."
He made the mistake of putting the burden to beat Button on himself, all Button had to do is to not be blown away by JVil, and reliability or not, that has been the case. You can keep using the ex-champ line all you want, but a **** year was enough to do in Damon Hill in 99 (hell Jordan tried to get rid of him mid-season).
Old 16 Sep 2003, 07:04 (Ref:720324)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm in no means denying the excellent work that TGF has done with Ferrari so far but he had a solid base to work on while BAR started virtually from scratch after they threw most, if not all Tyrrell staff out.

Add to that a designer who's too busy listening to himself and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.
The 1996 Ferrari was in no way a dog like the BAR001 was...

And who would've thought that BMW and Renault would get it right quicker than all mighty Honda back in '98/'99/'00?

Jacques simply had too much faith in both Pollock and Honda.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:00 (Ref:720372)   #18
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm amazed that anyone can be hugely supportive of JV. He walked in to the best car on the grid and won the WDC, and since has done nothing. 'Built the team' Teddy? You have to be joking, surely?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:06 (Ref:720376)   #19
bumpsteer
Rookie

bumpsteer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If he does or doesn't deserve is seat at BAR, he shouldn't be replaced by someone like Sato. A higher calibre driver would be more justifiable.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:15 (Ref:720386)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DSM
I'm amazed that anyone can be hugely supportive of JV. He walked in to the best car on the grid and won the WDC, and since has done nothing. 'Built the team' Teddy? You have to be joking, surely?

I would take that as a major insult.
That warn button is very tempting...
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:29 (Ref:720402)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone said, are we sure that keeping JV at Bar would be a good move to him?
If it means to condamn it to a further year of frustration and underachievement, as JV fans, Amac &C should hope he will go!
About DSM: tha's not true that he "walked in to the best car and won the WDC"
He lost on his first year to Damon Hill (who is undoubtedly a good driver, but not the best ever!), and had to wait one more year, always on the way best car to get the gold.

Once said that, well, everyone is free to support whoever he wants, and you don't have the right to discuss it.
Some people here wonder why is still there support for "TGF", for instance, but whoever likes him, he's got he right to do it and to be respected. The same for JV

Last edited by climb; 16 Sep 2003 at 08:33.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:37 (Ref:720412)   #22
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm not sure imploring the executives of BAT to help JV will do much good...after all with his low-fi p.r. work - what does he do for them?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:54 (Ref:720429)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm rather confused about the "On behalf of millions of Jacques Villeneuve worldwide: etc" part... Millions of what? (Yes, both implications)
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:06 (Ref:720437)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

TGF's got millions of fans too.
But how many "fans" of TGF, or Ferrari for that matter, actually know anything about F1?

"Fan": 'F1? Oh yeah, Michael Schumacher he's great!
Huh? Who's Senna/Prost/Mansell/Villeneuve????
What? They also turn right too?????? That's just crazy!!'

Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:09 (Ref:720440)   #25
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

Hahahah comments like this really crack me up. The so-called "struggling" Ferrari team Shumacher went to had not in the 1990's been any worse than the 4th best car on the grid so please give me a break. Ferrari in the 90's has always been one of the better cars on the grid. There is no way you can compare the BAR start-up in 1999 to Shumi's Ferrari debut in 1996. And has already been mentioned Shumi took the best guys in the business with him when he left.