Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 8 Sep 2003, 07:10 (Ref:711431)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newman-Haas significant step to IRL

One thing has become clear about Newman-Haas commitment in the IRL.
They have been appointed as GFORCE spare parts distributor for 2004.
Regardless the fact that they may run or not at Indy or fulltime, it's undoubtedly a significant step.
It menas that, in any case, they will follow all the races; how long will they resists just staying outside the track and watching others run, it's hard to predict...

Last edited by climb; 8 Sep 2003 at 07:10.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 11:09 (Ref:711700)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
again they would be more than welcome , they are a professional team and I hope they come and wish them well.

as for supplying G Force parts , not a bad idea , gotta keep money rolling in.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 13:24 (Ref:711820)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
twill be interesting to sse how will Chip ganassi react to that, the've always been faithful to GForce and #1 client, up to now...
Old 8 Sep 2003, 13:36 (Ref:711828)   #4
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good news. Another quality team would add move value to the IRL. It should also end the open wheel civil war with CART's demise.

Last edited by rush1; 8 Sep 2003 at 13:37.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 14:11 (Ref:711858)   #5
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champcars demise? Wot with teams like Dayle Coyne in the fold? Gimme a break! Seriously tho I cant see Newman in particular defecting to IRL it would represent a U turn of Druids corner proportions. As ive said before I'd like to see both organisations flourish and continue to provide us the fans with great racing for years to come.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 21:56 (Ref:712406)   #6
Alain
Rookie

Alain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Newman made his intentions clear when addressing the rumor that Newman/Haas Racing will leave CART for the rival IRL next season.

"I am here specifically to scotch the rumors about us moving to the IRL," Newman told AUTOSPORT. "I wanted to make it clear to the guys on the team exactly where I stand. As I've said before, I'm totally committed to CART and I have no interest at all in the IRL."

The team has said that they are looking at racing in next years Indianapolis 500 but it looks like that is all the team is interested in.

To stop dreaming, Newman\Haas is in "Field bus" there to remain...
Old 8 Sep 2003, 21:56 (Ref:712410)   #7
Alain
Rookie

Alain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Newman made his intentions clear when addressing the rumor that Newman/Haas Racing will leave CART for the rival IRL next season.

"I am here specifically to scotch the rumors about us moving to the IRL," Newman told AUTOSPORT. "I wanted to make it clear to the guys on the team exactly where I stand. As I've said before, I'm totally committed to CART and I have no interest at all in the IRL."

The team has said that they are looking at racing in next years Indianapolis 500 but it looks like that is all the team is interested in.

To stop dreaming, Newman\Haas is in Champ Car there to remain...
Old 8 Sep 2003, 23:47 (Ref:712509)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.newman-haas.com/2003/rele...8_26_2003.html

Alain,

I think official team statements carry more weight.

But it matters not. CART is almost out of time and money. The chances of a 2004 season are rapidly fading away. Unless the issues of ownership, schedule, and finacial package are settled by Miami in a few weeks, then its officially over.

So who cares what Newman or anyone else says about staying in CART to the end. We are at the end, and these contingency plans are for all intents and purposes the primary plans. Everyone knows it, but nobody can say so publicly while the season is still on.

Tic tic ...
Old 9 Sep 2003, 01:19 (Ref:712552)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
http://www.newman-haas.com/2003/rele...8_26_2003.html

Alain,

I think official team statements carry more weight.
Understandable, but you'd be mistaken - as Newman's statement was explicitly in reaction to people misreading the team statement (or at least reading more into it) in the first place.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2003, 02:02 (Ref:712575)   #10
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that Haas is considering buying a Subaru dealership making it quite certain that he will abandon all formula except for WRC racing, if you catch my drift.

The fat lady hasn't started singing yet.

Last edited by Flatspot; 9 Sep 2003 at 02:10.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 03:42 (Ref:712607)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Carl Haas once kept a cigar in his mouth for 3 hours straight without lighting it, if you catch my drift .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Sep 2003, 04:54 (Ref:712625)   #12
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Chrissake dont use a tobacco analogy Jay you'll upset everyone at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 06:25 (Ref:712661)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
The problem is not correctly put on the table: I didn't post this thread to discuss N-H leaving CART to IRL: just about them enlarging their activity to IRL, without necessarily leaving CART, as Rahal did, for example.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 11:34 (Ref:712975)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Rahal went from 2 CART cars to 1 in CART and 1 in IRL, which is quite a big difference. I'm not sure Newman-Haas ahve the facilitiesto run 3 cars across the 2 championships.

I think Newman-Haas ahve simply seen a business opportunity here, which doesn't necessary mean they will switch. They might, of course, but I'm sure that, if tehre's a CART series in 2004, Newman-Haas will be there. And they'll do what they can to ensure that there is.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:14 (Ref:713025)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Your reasoning is 100% acceptable, Boots, I just wondered how long will they resist seeing Penske, Ganassi, Nunn, Andretti etc. racing, from the wall, without being part of the series...
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:46 (Ref:713074)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I should think that all things being equal, once the Indy 500 is out of the equation, NH would be happier in CART. This would be true particularly next year when Forsythe can't throw double the budget of the average team at his cars. NH are frontrunners and get a load of coverage already; the TV exposure for both series is pretty similar (and both are edging upwards), and there's no guarantee that Carl would run up front often enough to offset that.

Add that to the fact that Carl and Paul are both roadracers at heart, and their drivers are roadracers, it would take a pretty good (Toyota?) package for Carl to look at switching.

That said, climb, I could see running a single car full time to ensure that the team is well-versed in IRL competition. It's not like it was a few years ago when the teams could come in, dump a wad of cash, and instantly outrun the regulars in the 500.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2003, 16:09 (Ref:713281)   #17
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally posted by Jay
Quote:
I heard Carl Haas once kept a cigar in his mouth for 3 hours straight without lighting it, if you catch my drift .
Not only a very good point but I almost fell out of my chair laughing. You made my day.

Climb, your points were well taken and I wasn't poking fun of the thread, just taking a jab few of the subsequent responses.

Haas is a good business man and is obviously covering all of his bases which he would be a fool not to do.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 17:41 (Ref:713380)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I took this one on Friday:

http://www.champweb.net/photos/Toron.../TMI-PC-37.htm

Saturday:

http://www.champweb.net/photos/Toron.../TMI-PC-62.htm

Same cigar!

-Bill James
Old 10 Sep 2003, 01:56 (Ref:713711)   #19
Russfeldo
Rookie

Russfeldo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's the note about the G-Force parts?
Old 10 Sep 2003, 06:31 (Ref:713786)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
No official notes, Russfeldo, just reliable insider news
Old 12 Sep 2003, 03:57 (Ref:715866)   #21
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand, N-H is looking only at Indy next year.
Anyone has any idea when N-H tests the IRL car? Some other forums have posted that they have this week....but you know how reliable THAT can be.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 07:45 (Ref:715958)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
He's already tested at Chicago, no infos about it.
Anyways i agree with paul-collins, that "It's not like it was a few years ago when the teams could come in, dump a wad of cash, and instantly outrun the regulars in the 500"

Now the regulars' name are: Penske, Ganassi, Andretti, Nunn,...
hard to get in all of a sudden and make a walkover, frankly.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 15:04 (Ref:716520)   #23
Russfeldo
Rookie

Russfeldo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were at Fontana this week with both CART and IRL
Old 13 Sep 2003, 12:55 (Ref:717377)   #24
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haas can do what he wants to do. As far as running both series. Newman/Haas runs CART and Haas runs in NASCAR Winston Cup. Ganassi and Penske are in the IRL and Cup. It wouldn't take much, as Haas' NASCAR effort is separate from Newman, for him to run like Rahal and Fernandez with cars in both series.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:24 (Ref:719641)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Newman-haas test at Fontana:
poor results by Junqueira: not best than 218 mph
(7 mph slower than best result of Test in the West earlier this year)