Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:12 (Ref:786253)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Is Bugatti the next VAG LeMans project?

I noticed that the commentators on the Motors TV coverage of the LM 1000kms commented that the word was that Bugatti would be the next VAG brand to launch an assault on LeMans.

Also the link below gives details of the new Bugatti W16 road car due next year.

Bearing in mind Bugatti has a similar history at LeMans to Bentley is this mere speculation or does it seem to make sense that a 3 year project for Bugatti may well be on the cards to coincide with the relaunch of the brand.

The similarities to the Bentley strategy are obvious!

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_...p?na_id=204679
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:36 (Ref:786285)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd love to think it was more than mere speculation, Mal......
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:37 (Ref:786287)   #3
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you know it will have nothing to do with the street car if they do.

Something about a 16cyl with 4 turbos might just be a tad illegal for competition!!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:40 (Ref:786292)   #4
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sure hope so! A race program would really justify what is otherwise a slightly silly car, imho
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:40 (Ref:786294)   #5
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the Bugatti at the Lime Rock Park Vintage festival.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00004.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:52 (Ref:786316)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it would be nice, but I can't see it happening.......
Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:52 (Ref:786413)   #7
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see a prototype being labeled as a VW or Bugatti, but I don't think there will be a race version of the Veyron
Old 17 Nov 2003, 23:27 (Ref:786645)   #8
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring it on,did it with Bently so why not?
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 18 Nov 2003, 07:19 (Ref:786780)   #9
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
I can see a prototype being labeled as a VW or Bugatti, but I don't think there will be a race version of the Veyron
The Bentley prototype was nothing to do with the Continental GT so it seems that this could be the way to go. To be honest the reported R9 closed Audi could easily be badged a Bugatti, or the Bentley Prototype could be modified and rebadged. Although VAG may want more French involvment in the same way that they had British involvment in the Bentley.

Whatever, lets just hope it happens.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 07:46 (Ref:786795)   #10
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see that car done as a GTS. Unfortunately I'm worried that what we'll actually see will be another R8/Bentley clone with a Bugatti badge stuck on the engine covers. I have no problem with VAG using LeMans as a marketing tool for whatever brand they wish to resurrect nesxt, but I wish they'd use a bit of variety.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 07:56 (Ref:786799)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
I'd like to see that car done as a GTS. Unfortunately I'm worried that what we'll actually see will be another R8/Bentley clone with a Bugatti badge stuck on the engine covers. I have no problem with VAG using LeMans as a marketing tool for whatever brand they wish to resurrect nesxt, but I wish they'd use a bit of variety.
I think they have, there is very little in common on the surface between the Audi and the Bentley. It make perfect commercial sense for the different brands to used common parts and technology, but it is important that they look different to maintain the brand identity.

Lets face it we should really salute VAG support of LeMans over the last few years, and I have no objection to it continuing, I just wish someone else would take the fight to them.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 08:23 (Ref:786817)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I think it looks terrific and if it brought more much-needed variety to GTS, I don't have a problem with that.....
Old 18 Nov 2003, 10:04 (Ref:786877)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think its an ugly thing...but nicer than a bmw m3...so bring it on.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:41 (Ref:787016)   #14
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Quote:
I think they have, there is very little in common on the surface between the Audi and the Bentley
Apart from the engine, the gearbox, the light clusters, the mechanics............
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:56 (Ref:787045)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Now you're living up to your name..........
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:16 (Ref:787076)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Apart from the engine, the gearbox, the light clusters, the mechanics............
I did say 'on the surface' and as stated above why on earth would they spend the money on building separate components when they already have designed ones that are more than capable of winning. Commercial sense does have to play a part. At least the body design was different and the cars were run by different teams
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:39 (Ref:787113)   #17
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just remember: BENTLEY won Le Mans - not Audi. Just because they share common parts doesn't mean they are similar cars. The fact is that most race cars today use parts that are commissioned/ built outside of the team/factory, eg gearbox.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:43 (Ref:787118)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Here here! All too easy to knock these things.......
Old 18 Nov 2003, 16:29 (Ref:787263)   #19
karbon
Rookie

karbon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
somehow i don't think the lm-gts regulations will allow an 8.0l 64v quad-turbo w16 engined car to run in the june classic, but that's just me.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 16:51 (Ref:787291)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Must be something wrong with the regs then......
Old 18 Nov 2003, 16:56 (Ref:787296)   #21
karbon
Rookie

karbon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could be, could be...
i wonder how much power the engine will produce with restrictors on
Old 18 Nov 2003, 17:05 (Ref:787305)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Bugatti is the next VAG project that is fine with me. The sport is lacking in manufacturer support and if VAG wants to continue in that vein then that is welcomed. And if another manufacturer wants to jump in and challenge them (as Mal also said) then that would be even better.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 17:53 (Ref:787375)   #23
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Yes, but they won't. Because assuming that VAG base a Bugatti prototype on the XP8 (and I would point out it is an assumption), they will be building a car that effectively has 5 or 6 years R&D before they even start to screw it together. I don't think any mainstream manufacturer is going to be prepared to go up against that unless thay have a very large budget.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 18:15 (Ref:787421)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I agree that you have a point. However, the Bentley did not win its first race out and VAG did have some years of experience and R&D through the R8 program at that point. But yes, any manufacturer program will have some teething problems as Audi did in 1999. With that said though, I still would welcome more manufacturer involvement. The sport needs it. And it will generate interest, regardless if the new entrant is a winner straight away. In terms of budget, any LMP900 or LMP1 program that wishes to be competitive (be it privateer or manufacturer) will have to spend some money.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 19:41 (Ref:787520)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Yes, but they won't. Because assuming that VAG base a Bugatti prototype on the XP8 (and I would point out it is an assumption), they will be building a car that effectively has 5 or 6 years R&D before they even start to screw it together. I don't think any mainstream manufacturer is going to be prepared to go up against that unless thay have a very large budget.
But you can't blaim that on VAG, they have chosen LeMans as their marketing tool and motorsport challenge and have done it very well.

Also I am sure if someone like Porsche, Toyota or BMW chose to return thay could be competitive very quickly due to their recent knowledge of LeMans and sportscars. Remember when VAG started in 1999 they hadnt competed at LeMans for decades.