Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Dec 2003, 02:04 (Ref:808882)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
F1 Reliabilty

What seems to amaze me these days, is the number (or %) of cars that finish a race. Gone are the days when the back-runners could hope for some luck and grab some points.

We have the exceptions of course (Brazil springs to mind), but the fact is in 2003 we saw the highest % of classified drivers Ever!

According to F1-facts.com, an amazing 209 drivers were classified out of 312 starts (66.69%), the highest on record.

The previous best of 66.67% was back in 1960.

So with some twitchy manufacturers demanding results, and even higher relaibility expected with the one engine rule, what will this mean to Jaguar and co?

And what about poor Minardi, are the destined for average finishing positions such as 15th and 16th?
Old 11 Dec 2003, 03:27 (Ref:808923)   #2
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: F1 Reliabilty

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
So with some twitchy manufacturers demanding results, and even higher relaibility expected with the one engine rule, what will this mean to Jaguar and co?

THAT'S it Jag has a good weapon and a top steerer but it all hinges on "relaibility" and with Ford wanting results it boggles me to employ a rookie sure the up front $$$$$ is fine but the long trem dosch comes from points and results and Jag has as I see it 2 possible weak points in relaibility & Klien I just hope the gamble pays off

Old 11 Dec 2003, 06:47 (Ref:808985)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The reliability of 2003 seems to make nonsense of the seasons before when the mechanics had to work all night before a race, just for the car to still fail misrably before 10 laps were completed.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 07:41 (Ref:809001)   #4
devil racer nz
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington, New Zealand
devil racer nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And what about poor Minardi, are the destined for average finishing positions such as 15th and 16th?
You can add Jordan to that aswell. Brazil aside, its been a bad year for Eddies mob.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 08:25 (Ref:809016)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I homestly don't expect to see Jordan & Minardi figuring in the points next year unless we see a crazy event like Brazil where something out of the ordinary takes out half of the field.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 08:51 (Ref:809032)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I dont think it's just reliablilty of the cars either. With driver aides the pilot is less likely to make a mistake also.

Will be see a race with everyone finishing?
Old 11 Dec 2003, 09:07 (Ref:809037)   #7
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We already have : reliability has still not reached '61 Dutch GP (I think) levels - where there were no retirements !!!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 11:32 (Ref:809117)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: F1 Reliabilty

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
THAT'S it Jag has a good weapon and a top steerer but it all hinges on "relaibility" and with Ford wanting results it boggles me to employ a rookie sure the up front $$$$$ is fine but the long trem dosch comes from points and results and Jag has as I see it 2 possible weak points in relaibility & Klien I just hope the gamble pays off

If Jaguar weren't prepared to take a risk and employ a rookie (or near rookie) Mark Webber wouldn't have his current drive either! F1 is able to give a chance to new kids on the block, and that is a good thing - some of them work out ok, such as Kimi, Jenson and Mark.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 12:11 (Ref:809149)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On pure pace, Jagaur would struggle to score more than half a dozen points even if Klien turns out to be as good as Webber. I think our Webber has misunderstood Wrex's point, which was more to do with the fact that there are less poitns available for the smaller teams now that the top cars usually finish.
Old 11 Dec 2003, 21:38 (Ref:809613)   #10
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I do apoligise my mistake
Old 11 Dec 2003, 22:28 (Ref:809654)   #11
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
The reliability of 2003 seems to make nonsense of the seasons before when the mechanics had to work all night before a race, just for the car to still fail misrably before 10 laps were completed.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing though? I think that unless you're a hardcore Minardi fan the more cars that finish the race the better.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 10:02 (Ref:809956)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm all for it - and I reckon longer ilfe engines will improve things even further, because the "window" in which the engine may fail is presumably most accurately expressed in percentage terms... ie. the last ten per cent of the design life is the most vulnerable - if the ten per cent phase is twice as long... you know what I mean. i hope.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:27 (Ref:810082)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
Is that a good thing or a bad thing though? I think that unless you're a hardcore Minardi fan the more cars that finish the race the better.
That's exactly right, when i watch a Grand Prix i want to see the best possible race & hopefully see the best teams fighting it out all race long.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:36 (Ref:810093)   #14
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
We already have : reliability has still not reached '61 Dutch GP (I think) levels - where there were no retirements !!!
And no pit stops either to make it a unique race!!
Old 12 Dec 2003, 13:55 (Ref:810188)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The high-tech equipment used to build every component of an F1 car(and your own car!) is probably the main reson for such unbelievable reliability. Gone are the days of machinists using hand and manual tools to build engines and components. Computers do all the machining now.

High reliability should be expected with all the money it takes to build the car. 19000 RPM and nary a break-down, incredible!

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:18 (Ref:810200)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was amazed at the reliablity this season, especially since the introduction of the parce ferme rules between qualifying and the race.

It got me thinking as to to why. I'm wondering whether leaving the car as it is may help since all the components have been 'run-in' and the 'newness' has settled down despite the unbelievable tolerances the components are built to.

Perhaps stripping the cars down between sessions maybe wasn't as advantageous to reliability after all?

I'm no engineer, but it's just a thought as a layman.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:33 (Ref:810215)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Perhaps the most expensive, and convincing, illustration of the adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it".
Old 13 Dec 2003, 20:57 (Ref:811192)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun

Perhaps stripping the cars down between sessions maybe wasn't as advantageous to reliability after all?

That might seem the case with virtually every other car on the grid, But Michaels had 100% reliabilty for both 2002 and 2003, i.e under both conditions (Parc Ferme rules and not). The strength that Ferrari build their cars in particular is incredible.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 21:57 (Ref:811212)   #19
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
That might seem the case with virtually every other car on the grid, But Michaels had 100% reliabilty for both 2002 and 2003, i.e under both conditions (Parc Ferme rules and not). The strength that Ferrari build their cars in particular is incredible.

yes Ferrari are definatly the bench mark for the other teams when it comes to reliability. Copying Ferraris componants is not good enough if you don't have the manufacturing levels of Ferrari behind you and the resources to test to their level.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 22:52 (Ref:811248)   #20
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we can always rely on a Honda blowing up!
Old 14 Dec 2003, 05:47 (Ref:811380)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kind of hard to believe that Ferrari has the best reliability in F1, when there street cars are known to be somewhat tempermental.

Reliability is usually the exclusive bragging rights of the Germans in the BMW's and Mercedes, at least with cars sold to the public.

Danica Patrick