Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Oct 2000, 08:06 (Ref:44441)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes after all my whinging and complaining I finally get to test my vehicle a number of times in a very short space of time. I am hopefully going out tomorrow morning to Calder for a full day of testing. then it is off to Winton on Friday for another full day of testing. After these to days, I am maybe heading to Sandown on Cup Day for more testing, all in readiness for next years season. My debut, I hope. I have all the guys in the class wanting me to step up. They are all looking for me to have a drive, seeing as my dad is getting on, and too competitive for them. hehehe. But if it is sunny tomorrow I am going to have an assault on my P.B. at Calder. I wanna go under 1min 12 secs, with the standard engine and gearbox in. The race engine and gearbox are capable of going nearly 6 secs quicker than this, but hey I am learning, and need to get my hours in the seat up if I want to mount a serious challenge next year. Or even get considered to do Sports Sedans, as my Dad will want to run in Improved Production. So what has been happening with everyone elses racing careers?
Old 24 Oct 2000, 08:57 (Ref:44448)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck with the testing, hope it goes well and you achieve what you set out to do. Remember, testing is all about learning not impressing. Have fun.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 11:28 (Ref:44678)   #3
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Didn't Turn Out.

Well unfortunately the powers that be pulled the plug at the last minute today Due to 3 days of non-stop rain and rivers around melbourne bursting their banks, the decision was reached by the two major shareholders that nothing good could come of practicing in torrential rain. However myself and another disagreed, we believe that practice in the wet is essential for any driver, and a track like Calder is perfect for exactly that. But I am only a driver and not a money man, so the plan was then to travel up to Winton this Friday for a full days testing with the Tourers and a number of Formula Holden teams. Also some nations cup teams will be down there. But again something else has come up. This Friday I also have a university entrace requirement to sit. I am already at Uni but this is essential to sit if I want to transfer over to another one. So now Calder next wednesday has been written onto the calendar with the promise that I am going rain, hail, snow or shine. But hey I am sure that someone will come up with some reason to stop me. So what do you think about testing and practice in the wet, beneficial or just putting the car at too much of a risk? I would like to know everyone's point of view.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 16:07 (Ref:45588)   #4
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It happened

After all the trouble and all the debating. I finally got out for my test session at Winton, and my god it was good. I got to the factory at 6.00am ready to be on the road to make it for a 10am start. We got away just before 7am on the road for a lovely 3hour trip. The trip took us through, rain, brilliant sunshine, then more rain. We were resigned to the fact that we were going to be running on wets for most of the day. We got there and the track looked soaked, but no sooner than we had half the wets on, the sun was out and the track was dry. I swear it took less than 10 minutes. So the drys went on (we aren't allowed to run on slicks unless we are competing in Sports Sedans). So I went out for my sighting laps, as I had never been there before. And boy was it a lot of fun. The only problem with Winton is that it doesn't stretch the legs of the car much, and we were running a 4:4 diff ratio when we should have been running a 5:1 or something like that. 4:4 great for Phillip Island but didn't have enough low down for my liking. Now as the day wore on I wanted to really push my limits and the cars, not for times but for actually car knowledge.I had a few big loses but I was prepared for it. I wanted to see the cars handling, my handling and just all limits. All I can say is I want more power, or less weight (which means the same thing anyway). We also ran an in car camera for the first time, which when replayed looks sensational. I wanted to run the digital so that I could put some of it on my soon to be released team homepage. But I had to settle for using the Hi 8 Camera, which still did the job. So much so that the nightclub I work for ran the footage on its screens for a little while on the night. hehehe. Anyway Great tool to have to see where you are going wrong, whether you are using good lines through turns. Where we had the camera positioned enabled us to see gear changes, half the steering wheel, and all of the track through the front windscreen. We are going to add a second camera for test days to also watch foot movements and gearchanges closely. I have found it to be a good tool.

Next I am off to Sandown this sunday, if it all works out. Where the digital will be available, and we are also going to run a mike, so if anything happens I can talk on the screen about what the car feels like so we can then review at the end of the day. Like if it is understeering badly, or snap oversteer. What the tyres feels like, braking, etc. Also body roll, and extra movement.

What do you think about the camera and its possibilities?
Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:11 (Ref:45598)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly Cameron,

I think the camera is BX. (Well you did ask.). You haven't told us how your times compared (Diff or not).

Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:21 (Ref:45604)   #6
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It wasn't a timed session. I went out and drove the first session, learning the track and its intricacies. The second session, I pushed the car as hard as I could to test all limits, including handling, speed into and out of corners, what gearing through corners worked, my own ability, and finally my last session was seeing how smooth I could make the car. The car wasn't set up for times, it was set-up for learning. And playing with various areas of the cars set-up.

But then again your opinion is very valid. Why do you feel it isn't a good tool to have at your disposal? I am interested to know. It is only something we are playing around with.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:23 (Ref:45605)   #7
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Also I had no times to compare the day too because it was my first ever visit to Winton. And I am a fan of the track, although I know that Phillip Island is going to be so much better when I get there.