Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:22 (Ref:844010)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford Probe / Cougar

I'm just in the process of looking for a short-term run-around car to help keep me somewhere near my milage limit on the Audi A4. I quite fancy picking up something like a 88-90ish Jag XJS - there seem to be some vaguely sensibly priced 5.3 V12s on autotrader.co.uk.

However, for some bizzare reason I've always quite liked the look of the Ford Probe ever since one parked outside my house every day, when I was far too young to drive. Due to their extremely short production run, there seem to be plenty about at very low prices - it seems possible to pick one up, say a 2.5V6 24v model with about 60K on the clock, for something in the region of about two-three grand. Aside from it's being a Ford, is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this? I'm only keeping it until the end of the year ( the Audi's contract ends in September, at which point I'll be ordering the A4 cabriolet, but there's another 14 week build time to wait then ), and and a year's motoring for three grand appeals quite a lot.

Your thoughts are much appreciated...

PS Resident local smart-arse says I want a Lexus Soarer? What's one of those?? :confused:
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:56 (Ref:844063)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A colleague of mine is the man to talk to about XJS's. Probably not advisable on a limited budget for running the thing. You'll need shares in a petrol company for starters.

I hate the Ford Probe - it's not great dynamically, but you really can't argue with a couple of grand for a simple V6 coupe. Certainly affordable to run too.

Lexus Soarer is an import only coupe, 4.0 V8, ugly IMO, but being a Lexus at least it'll work, probably forever...

:
Attached Images

Old 20 Jan 2004, 14:46 (Ref:844112)   #3
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon

Lexus Soarer is an import only coupe, 4.0 V8, ugly IMO, but being a Lexus at least it'll work, probably forever...

:
Hmm, so with a lump like that under the bonnet I'll need some shares in a petrol company for that too.
Still, I've done a bit of research, and it looks like the Lexus could be the way forward...

PS Anyone know what the insurance might be for something like that? Which side of the car is the steering wheel on?

Last edited by MichaelC; 20 Jan 2004 at 14:47.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:07 (Ref:844129)   #4
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They should mostly be rhd cos they came from Japan. There's the 4.0 V8 and a 2.5 twin turbo. May be a 6 cylinder 3.0 too? Personally I'd go for the V8 - that's the same lump that's in the LS400 - silent, torquey, bulletproof.

Insurance will be high-ish because it's an import not a UK car. Being import only also hammers resale value - don't be tempted to pay more than high 3s, any more than that simply aren't worth it.

Just a thought - it's not a coupe, but you can get a very solid 1992/1993 LS400 for similar money. Official UK car, cheaper insurance, even more kit...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 19:45 (Ref:845805)   #5
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience of Jags is lovely cars, but poor build quality. If you want an XJS then the 3.6 is more pratical and many are manuals. I've got a Probe (naff name) and despite being told of a host of problems the only thing that I've had to replace in a year is part of the exhaust system £171 Ford price, £50 pattern part. You can find tidy one one for less than £2000. 2.0 litre versions not really worth it. I've found driving it to be great fun, corners well enough, found a bit of weight in the boot helps that (decent tool kit will do the job). Pulls nicely V6 Engine smooth and revvy (mazda engine). Hard driving 23mpg motorways 28-30mpg. It's never going to be a classic, but for £2000? The only thing I been told to look out for is rear calipers siezeing, but parts might be quite expensive as it was built in the USA so doesn't share parts with other fords. Also insurance quite high for 2.5L and expect wind ups about buying a Ford and being a hairdressers car.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 12:16 (Ref:849932)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Forget the Jag, endless problems, Probe? What a terrible name for a car marketed at the ladies, might as well call it the speculum!

I run a second hand 1996 Fiat Coupe' very cheap to buy, very sporty, I saw 250kph on the speedo last year,(150mph) all from a non turbo 1.8 litre (admittedly chipped!)

Stylish, rare, a for sure collectors item one day. The poor man's Ferrari?

Last edited by eclectic; 25 Jan 2004 at 12:18.

Steve McQueen.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 10:24 (Ref:859883)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
They should mostly be rhd cos they came from Japan. There's the 4.0 V8 and a 2.5 twin turbo. May be a 6 cylinder 3.0 too? Personally I'd go for the V8 - that's the same lump that's in the LS400 - silent, torquey, bulletproof.

yep, 4.0 V8, 3.0 single turbo 6 and 2.5 twin turbo 6 (latter is the fastest)

The ones badged Lexus SC400 are the V8s and all the rest *should* be badged as Toyota Soarers (lots of Toyota badges get swapped with Lexus ones here)

Very hard to find a manual model, but very luxurious etc (leather standard on all models ex. 2.5) and quite big inside and out.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock