Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1046871)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Seoul

According to this article on TSN, who in turn cites Autoweek:

Quote:
According to a report in Autoweek, the inaugural race scheduled for Seoul, South Korea on October 17 will not take place this year.

The report says series officials and promoters were unable to secure the necessary government approvals for a suitable course configuration. Initially, a permanent road-racing course was to have been built near the Olympic soccer stadium, but it became clear recently that those plans would not be completed in time, forcing a last minute change of venue.

There's been no official confirmation from Champ Car officials about the future of the South Korean race.
Doesn't come as a surprise, but this report is the most concrete thing that I've heard thus far on the subject.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1046914)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I'll concur with the non-surprise. Hopefully it'll be on the 2005 calendar!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1046934)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport, which has a very good record for breaking stories, reported this about three weeks ago.

I think it's probably for the best - if it can't be done right this year, wait and do it properly next time.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 02:37 (Ref:1048381)   #4
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should it be replaced by another event though?

I don't really know but I think Champcars should approach Singapore about having a street race there.

Singaporeans are keen to have motorsport in their country (to rival F1 in Malaysia), they have very wide public roads and plenty of open space near the city for a temporary paddock. It would serve as a good stopover for the mega long haul flight to Surfer's Paradise, too. Plenty of expats in Singapore as well. They would love to see a race there.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1048585)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's best trying to just get this season under their belts first, rather than trying to introduce a new fly-away race at this stage.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1048815)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think it's best trying to just get this season under their belts first, rather than trying to introduce a new fly-away race at this stage.

I agree.....

It is almost August....

Trying to fill this spot (even with another date) with another race will give any promoter no time at all to promote the "new" event.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1049149)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Autosport, which has a very good record for breaking stories, reported this about three weeks ago.

I think it's probably for the best - if it can't be done right this year, wait and do it properly next time.
Autosport also said the Season Finale will be at St Pete too, I look forward to that news more than this then!

Hmmm, maybe Autosport DO know more than they like to put out!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1049272)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

They were right about Las Vegas, it looks like they're right about Seoul, so hopefully they're right about St Petersburg too.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1049297)   #9
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping St. Pete's shows up in February or March of next year. You wouldn't believe what a few days in Florida watching race cars did for my attitude last year.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 06:35 (Ref:1049482)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Asa
I don't really know but I think Champcars should approach Singapore about having a street race there.
Bring 'em to Macau and stage a Champ Car race together with the other races held there each year - that'd sort out the men from the boys
Old 29 Jul 2004, 04:41 (Ref:1050501)   #11
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not saying that they should replace Seoul with Singapore this year, but maybe in the future.

I believe Singapore will be a good stop for Champcars.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1050730)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

It could well be, thanks for the clarification.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 21:57 (Ref:1051349)   #13
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Bring 'em to Macau and stage a Champ Car race together with the other races held there each year - that'd sort out the men from the boys
That place scares me!

Can you imagine the flat out blast from the start finish grid to the famous crash-o-turn at turn 1 (well, may be turn 3, but the first turn they have to BRAKE for anyway! ) in a Champ Car. Now factor in slipstreaming the car in front, AND the push to pass....

Plus, would any car wider than an F3 fit through that ultra-tight hairpin there? (So tight there's a permenant stationary yellow through the whole race there)

Still, stranger things have happened!
Old 29 Jul 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1051378)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think a Champ Car would probably get stuck!
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:32 (Ref:1052482)   #15
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe that should race in Antarctica...
i'm sure there's PLENTY of wide open space down there...
although it might be a bit chilly for fans to come watch
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:49 (Ref:1052487)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What? Bridgestone makes winter tires. Not a problem.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1054206)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mueber
I'm hoping St. Pete's shows up in February or March of next year. You wouldn't believe what a few days in Florida watching race cars did for my attitude last year.
Supposedly, St. Pete is talking with the other Series about doing a 2005 date...negotiations have been going on recently...

The other series will anounce their schedule tomorrow, but they have said that they may add another race at a later date...

My Source: The indianapolis Star over this past weekend....

One American Open Wheel Series!