Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 Apr 2004, 13:18 (Ref:947853)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brack Confirms He Will NOT Drive at Indy

Today's Indy Star reports that Kenny feels he "will not be 100%" in time to compete at the Indy 500, thus he will not be one of Rahal's pilots for the Big One this May...

Rahl's team announced that they will still field 3 cars for the race...

I'm assuming that the three they had in the cars at Motegi will be their drivers...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Apr 2004, 13:37 (Ref:947871)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame

He deserves credit for listening to his body though, instead of rushing a comeback.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 13:39 (Ref:947872)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A great shame, but hopefully he'll return soon after, and hopefully Rahal will continue to run 3 cars when he does, now that his expenditure is concentrated on one series.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 13:48 (Ref:947883)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He actually said that he feels very good....

But his biggest concern is the fact that he has not been in a car since last fall, and that he does not want to take any possible chances of causing problems for others since he would be somewhat rusty....

He's a class act...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Apr 2004, 14:02 (Ref:947905)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering that Indy500 is trhe longest race of the season, if he's not sure about his physical conditions he's made a very intelligent, albeit painful, decision.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 19:51 (Ref:948222)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think he'll ever race IRL again.

He's using getting back in a car to motivate his recovery, he'll do a test to prove he can, then he'll retire.

Just my gut feeling on this
Old 22 Apr 2004, 20:23 (Ref:948269)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Shame

He deserves credit for listening to his body though, instead of rushing a comeback.
Also a shame for you rusty!

Your only hometown boy is out, who will you root for now?

I agree, its a good decision, although its got to hurt abit...

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Apr 2004, 22:27 (Ref:948382)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
a shame but Im sure its the right decision , if he doesnt feel right about it then he shouldnt rush it.

Im sure we will see him in a car by the end of the year.

Last edited by marcus; 22 Apr 2004 at 22:28.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 22:27 (Ref:948383)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry double post

Last edited by marcus; 22 Apr 2004 at 22:29.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 22:44 (Ref:948402)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brack is also a family man and why risk it if your not 100%?
he should get back into shap trying out Supermodifieds, the G forces will put him back into it...heh heh
it is good to see a racer who can see in normal colors and not simply a red tint to the world
Old 23 Apr 2004, 00:07 (Ref:948447)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think Brack may be done as well. He is no kid anymore and has accomplished a lot.

A friend of mine passed away recently quite literally of wounds received during WWII. He would say that he was fairly content with life as everyday since the day they told him he wouldn't make it in the field hospital has been a bonus in his view.

Kenny may be thinking the same sort of thing. His wreck was a very near thing and he may be thinking that he is now in the bonus round.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 00:10 (Ref:948449)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Just came to mind: Don't know if any of you recall the late Tim Richmond. He was a very promising NASCAR driver who died of AIDS at a young age some years back.

He started in open wheel and was I believe a Rookie of the Year at Indy. When asked why he chose to leave Champ Cars he would walk around with an odd limp, dragging his feet along the ground saying: "Because I don't want to walk like this!"

It has always been, and always will be a dangerous business.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 02:18 (Ref:948514)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he is done, if he's smart. One more big one and his body might not make it though. When you get hurt that bad the body is never the same again.

I think the whole thing with getting back into the car is more for psychological reasons. I know it has to be a crushing blow to have your livelyhood taken away from you. But he is a smart guy and is good with sponsors, so I am sure there will be a role for him somewhere.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 09:01 (Ref:948687)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
I think he is done, if he's smart. One more big one and his body might not make it though. When you get hurt that bad the body is never the same again.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that at least his back might actually be stronger now, with all the metal and so on that had to be inserted, than it was 'unmodified'.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 09:58 (Ref:948743)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
The problem there is that your body is designed to twist and flex with a certain amount of tortional rigidity. Too much stiffness could actually cause problems elsewhere in another accident.

Think of it this way: over developing certain muscle groups at the expense of others can actually increase the chance/severity of future injuries.

If his spine can't flex like it used to, where do the forces associated with an impact go?