Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 19 Apr 2004, 15:33 (Ref:944280)   #1
sprocket
Racer

England
bramhall,cheshire
sprocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BIG Al

For those of you who go to Oulton Park regularly and especially those who are Knickerbrook regulars,it is with great sadness that I have to report the passing away of my cohort Big Al on sunday.
He want know how we will miss him.
RichardSproston.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:43 (Ref:944364)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed Richard. He was part of the commentary teams furniture. Although his first love was bikes, he had developed a liking for FF1600 and was at the last two Brands Festivals. He had already booked his hotel for this October.
His supply of jokes will be missed.
How on earth will you know what is going on without the benefit of the 'Al Ometer' and his quick spotting of incidents that you may have missed.

RIP Big Fella
Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:26 (Ref:944421)   #3
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is sad news indeed. He will be a big loss in every sense of the world. Knickerbrook just won't be the same without you.

best wishes

David
Old 19 Apr 2004, 21:55 (Ref:944732)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
What can I say, I'm shocked. We had too few chats, yet he never failed to amuse with his tales. Taken from us too early, as is always the case.
RIP,
Mark
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:54 (Ref:945211)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never knew him personally, but am aware of his excellence in his ability to "Paint Pictures" with his remarkable knowledge of our sport.

RIP Big Al

Mark
Old 21 Apr 2004, 08:38 (Ref:946403)   #6
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likewise, I didn't know Big Al personally, but being an Oulton Park marshal over the last few years, I came to know of and appreciate his immense effort over at the Knickerbrook commentary box.

He will be sadly missed.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 13:47 (Ref:946717)   #7
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It never fails to amaze me how a circuit commentator can recall most of the drivers names during a race they may only see once a year.

TV commentators (when recorded) have the luxury of knowing what is coming up.

The likes of Big Al never have this luxury and that is why their work should be more appreciated. Frequently the only time a commentator is commented on by spectators, is when he makes an obvious howler or is let down by sub-standard circuit equipment.

Having worked as a commentators assistant on a spectator stage of a major rally, I could only marvel at the guy I was sat next to.

Last edited by mark_l; 21 Apr 2004 at 13:48.
Old 12 May 2004, 13:55 (Ref:968748)   #8
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was saddened indeed when I read the news in Autosport. Big Al was a legend in his own right.

I had the pleasure of knowing him for the past 2 years, although our meetings were confined to the track. A healthy love of Bikes(he tried to convert me from cars-It didn't work),Ice cream and Rusty Wallace T-shirts were just a small part of him.

I remeber he told me a story about going to the Bike GP at Donnington one year and getting stuck in traffic on the way out. He leaned out his window and started talking to the bloke in the car next to him for the whole hour they were stuck there. The man turned out to be Geoff Duke.

A great commentator's assistant and above all, a really nice man.

RIP Big Al.