Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1000585)   #1
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets at MSV circuits

Now the dust is settling from the first week of the new rules, I have found:
1. Circuit staff and managers are being sensible about the new instructions.
2. Just in case, you should always take the mobile number of the Chief with you.
3. After our Cadwell meeting last weekend, I have been asked to provide no of marshals attending and copies of sign on sheets to MSV. Even more work and, I, too, am a volunteer!
4. I guess someone at MSV has the chore of repeating all my work scanning the sign on sheets to make sure I am honest. Presumably they will be paid.

This should cost marginally more than the cost of, what I think, is VERY limited abuse. What they need at MSV is less administators and more businessmen. Rant over!!!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1000589)   #2
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As we also have to return all unused tickets for counting it will help if:
- if you can't come, please send back tickets via post or someone who is coming.
- Give back any unused guest tickets at sign-on.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:41 (Ref:1000664)   #3
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All sing along now -
"Oh It all makes work for the working man to do"

Just seems to me that MSV is just another organisation run by suits...
Old 11 Jun 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1000835)   #4
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flagman
All sing along now -
"Oh It all makes work for the working man to do"

Just seems to me that MSV is just another organisation run by suits...
Aren't all business's!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1000853)   #5
Gwendolyn
Rookie

Gwendolyn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Parkinsons Law of Admin / Management "The amount of paper work will increase in order to fully utilise the number of shinies (people who sit at desks) available to deal with it"

Is the whole of idea of issuing tickets a ploy by Mr Palmer and his associates to deprive the clubs of marshals thus leaving the way clear for him to offer marshals to the clubs at a price determined by his goodself. This will increase his profits as he will not have to pay for training costs, the BMRMC, BRDC Marshals Club, BARC will gladly train his marshals for him at little cost.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1000912)   #6
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no real objection to the use of tickets, we've done it in the past. I can also see the obvious benefits to marshals of using the MSA licence for last minute availability. What I haven't seen is MSV's rationale behind the change. Are hundreds of marshals sneaking in as freebie spectators early on race day morning using their MSA cards? Marshals aren't paying spectators and if the time ever comes when MSV or other circuits attempt to levy a charge on me for my attendance [as it was rumoured a previous incumbent of Brands Hatch Liesure tried to do], then its the end of me marshalling at those circuits.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1001029)   #7
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am soon to upgrade from green to red, and it cost me to attend now (fuel/food/time). I am afraid any charge made for me to attend as a volunteer would be the last time I attended a meeting.

It is a big saga if you are available at short notice, trust me I experienced this the other week as did another marshal on the post with me. It is one thing this will do, is put new marshals off and eventually prevent existing marshals from volunteering at short notice. Maybe once a few meetings have to be cancelled things will revert back to normality!

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 11 Jun 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1001059)   #8
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused here if you have to provide copies of signing on sheets, then that must tally with the number of officials signed on. If a chief marshal has been assigned a certaian amount of tickets and the seceratary of the meeting so many for all the other officials is it not a question of adding the two up and seeing if it tallies to the tickets recieved. Why do they need the unused tickets?

I also have concerns that a commercial organisation is going to get my name & address. The signing on sheet is an MSA document i do not believe a copy of it should be given to anybody.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1001078)   #9
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good ponit Flagwaver. Does this comply with the Data Protection Act as when these sheets go to MSV whi is responsible for them and how will they be looked after and so no one else gets our details. then its more junk mail.
RS
Old 11 Jun 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1001107)   #10
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
mazda59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The blood is slowly startin to boil as i read all these new petty rules bout entry to circuits . Most marshals are putting in a 12 - 15 hour day by the time we have travelled to these circuits to work FOR FREE !!! I think they are gettin their workforce pretty cheap , so why cant we sneak in a few times during the season using an MSA card . There has to be a few perks to every job .I am sure the powers that be enjoy a good few ' tax - breaks '
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1001146)   #11
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this mazda59 doesnt mince her words does she
looks like a not person to be crossed and seems to know what shes may be talking about or may be shes a offical undercover lol
Old 12 Jun 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1002053)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mazda59
so why cant we sneak in a few times during the season using an MSA card .
1. Its dishonest
2. It gives the honest marshals a bad name

This is one of the reasons some circuits started issuing tickets to officials and other saying that the wearing of orange didn't give you automatic admission.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1002064)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
1. Its dishonest

This is one of the reasons some circuits started issuing tickets to officials and other saying that the wearing of orange didn't give you automatic admission.
Well said Sheila. If anyone wants to have a day's spectating, why not ask one of your friends for their spare ticket? Or even ask the Chief marshal if you could have theirs. I've never known it to fail.

Personally I have never found any trouble in getting in without tickets if you are polite and sensible. Example: Last weekend I was a late addition to the marshals for a Superbike meeting as the Rescue crew were short of people. No tickets so went prepared with my chief official's mobile phone number. Made sure that I was wearing overalls before getting to the gate (I don't normally). Spoke to the guy on the gate who said "have a word with my supervisor over there" (or words to that effect. The supervisor looked at my overalls and said "no problem - carry on and tell any of my guys further in that I said OK".

That seems reasonable to me and for a high profile and high security meeting at that. Well done Thruxton.

Regards

Jim
Old 13 Jun 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1002339)   #14
Gwendolyn
Rookie

Gwendolyn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no problem in gaining access to Oulton Park for Mr Palmers meeting. The very nice security people on the gate were not interested in looking at my ticket, yet other people had to show their tickets. No consistency is worse than hard and rigid application of the rules, nobody knows where they stand or what the procedure is.

As a bye, Mr Palmer did not even acknowledge the marshals in the Officials page of his programme. Just shows his thoughts and attitudes towards us. Motor racing is a team event, break a thread and you will have problems. We all rely on one another to make a successful meeting. Perhaps it is time for the hatchet to be buried and we can all get on with enjoying our great sport.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1002471)   #15
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
Dishonest -NO !!!!!!!!!!
I dont think my executives would class themselves dishonest when they are enjoying corporate hospitality at Jackie Stewart centre when our car races !!!!!!
And i certainly am not dishonest ( thanx all the same ) Don't tar all marshals with the same brush .Some of us actually joined for the love of the sport & not the 'glory 'of wearing an orange uniform. But back to point - some of us dont know til fridays if we are working on race days so isnt it better to swell the numbers on the day by admission of MSA card . Or if we do use it to gain admision FREE at least we keep up to par with whats gone on for when we don that orange overall again.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1002494)   #16
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
Re : my remarks -free admission using MSA card etc
before anyone else gets wrong end of the stick
I was suggesting sanctioned perks by owners of the track given to marshals as a gesture of thanx & appreciation for hard work we do
NOT DISHONESTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1002631)   #17
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
1. Its dishonest

all marshals are honest or we try to be or wouldnt do it week in and week out and get p..s wet some weekends for the sake of it thats why the british marshals are the best in the world
we are trying to increase marshals not loose marshals
you are the going the right way to deter people away from marshaling
mazda has a point and the views should be digested not slagged off
Old 13 Jun 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1002773)   #18
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Oulton last Saturday there was no one even on the gate to check my ticket when I got there! Just a case of driving through unchecked!!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1002811)   #19
thepits
Rookie

thepits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come to Rockingham!!

Tickets arrive in plenty of time.

Special car-park for marshals.

No hastle.

Great Racing.

Short day!

and.................

Great time had by all!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1002893)   #20
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by woody61uk
all marshals are honest or we try to be or wouldnt do it week in and week out and get p..s wet some weekends for the sake of it thats why the british marshals are the best in the world
we are trying to increase marshals not loose marshals
you are the going the right way to deter people away from marshaling
mazda has a point and the views should be digested not slagged off
I'm a marshal too woody61uk!

The only reason I posted what I did was years ago, when I first started marshalling, there were some marshals who used to volunteer for a meeting, get the tickets, turn up in orange and disappear from sight. They were spectating and it didn't go down very well with the rest of us who turned up to work.

Actually Mazda does have a point. If we wanted to spectate at meeting just by way of a change, it would be nice to be given free admission without having to go begging for tickets. Mind you would you really want to spectate? I know I wouldn't.

As for me going the right way to deter people from marshalling, would you care to explain exactly how?
Old 13 Jun 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1003005)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda59. I don't know who you are apart from the fact that you are new to marshalling this year. The one thing I do know is that I do not like the tone you are adopting. Woody says you seem to know what you are talking about; personally I don't think you have a clue.

Marshals are volunteers and give their time for free without any wish for payment or recompense. If a small token is given then it's gratefully received. To take advantage of our position of trust undermines the well-earned reputation marshals have for fairness, professionalism and above all integrity.
If we start eroding that, organisers and owners can pretty soon make life uncomfortable for us; us, being those that love the sport and give ourselves to it for the love of it.
I believe you are adopting the "eye for an eye" approach that is totally misguided. Just because some clubs are inconsiderate it doesn't mean we can abuse the trust in us to decide to defraud those clubs by fraudulently presently a MSA license / club membership to gain unrightfull access to a meeting. Two + wrongs, do not make a right.

Your executives are at that meeting by right of having invitations to attend. If they are receiving hospitality to which they are not entitled that is up to their consciences. It does not give an excuse to anyone else to gain access to the meeting and/or facilities under false pretences. Do you really believe that just because you are a marshal you can attend a meeting for free regardless of whether you are on duty or not??

The crux of this is that OP maintained an unusual entry system to most of British circuits and that has now been changed. Like it or lump it.
At most circuits entry is by ticket or pass; not having either at the last minute will not deter the genuine marshal. A quick phone call to the CM, or an explanation to security will produce wonders. Gaining entry via a MSA license/membership card has been curtailed and if that was being used to gain unauthorised entry then its demise was overdue.

Rant over, next thread please.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 07:24 (Ref:1003166)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well said Chiggers.

Ladies and gents lets calm down a little....PLEASE!
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1003196)   #23
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's some posh words in there Ian, where did you learn how to speak like that?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1003760)   #24
mazda59
Racer

Wales
macclesfield
Before you rant any more chiggers, read the thread properly. Yet another with the wrong end of the stick !
Yes i am new, but novices are entitled to their opinions. Not a bad thing to bring new blood & opinions into the sport. Use your experience to teach new ones not frighten them out of the sport before they have got started
Old 14 Jun 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1003986)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guys, please don'tlet this degenerate into a personal attack. I have the big stick to hand so behave or present yourself in my study with a book down the back of your trousers as protection