Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1014658)   #1
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is it about Minardi that make people love them?

So, what exactly is it? Why does one applaude a team that has just enough resources to take part in F1 racing, but does not have near enough resources to actually compete? I´ve heard people say that Minardi, because they are running against the odds, are representing the ´true passion´ of motorsport. How is that? Shouldn´t true passion start at actually competing, rather than simply taking part and leaving it at that? Besides, how can we tell from the outside what team is in it for the passion and what team is in it for the money? Does it really matter? Perhaps it matters when the decision of staying on the grid has to be taken, but then again, what exactly would we be losing if Minardi faults?

When was the last time that Minardi contributed anything to the race itself, and I do not mean taking a point because there are only eight runners to finish?

And then: why would Minardi be more appropriate for motorracing than the ´big´ teams? Is Paul Stoddard (or Giancarlo Minardi for the matter) more of a racingperson than Toyota´s Ove Andersson? Or Jean Todt? The money may come from big, non-personal companies, but the job is usually carried out by those who have an honest history in racing.

What is it that sets Minardi apart and why would they be missed?

I only see them getting in the way of racing...

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 24 Jun 2004 at 14:53.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1014673)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firstly Minardi ensures we have twenty cars on the grid, without resorting to three car teams.

Over the years they've given many young drivers their break and have even had a front row start.

They've also led a race and finished in the top four.

It's also important to keep independent teams on board so we're not left with nothing when the manufacturers go away.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1014684)   #3
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone loves to cheer the underdog. Go Minardi!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1014687)   #4
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post deleted - Wrex
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1014705)   #5
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Mark Webber was a Minardi driver he got in some good battles with Jordans and Saubers

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1014714)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Firstly Minardi ensures we have twenty cars on the grid, without resorting to three car teams.

Over the years they've given many young drivers their break and have even had a front row start.

They've also led a race and finished in the top four.

It's also important to keep independent teams on board so we're not left with nothing when the manufacturers go away.
Ok, so argument one is that they´re making up the numbers. But that goes for every team.

Secondly: sure there will be some happy moments in Minardi history, but surely Minardi can in no way claim to be succesful. Apart from the odd circumstance, they have never been in a position to compete on a structural base.

Other than that, I don´t think independent teams are all that important. Once they can´t afford to do anything if substance in F1, than they´re useless as it is. When Formula 1 will go bust because manufacturers are leaving, than that says all about the state of F1 in that circumstance, and the fact that it could be kept alive by poor independers doesn´t change a thing about that.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:39 (Ref:1014727)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares that they're not succesful?!
Do you have to be successful to enjoy what you're doing?!

That's just pathetic...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1014736)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi struggle with a very low budget but stayed there, differently from outfit like Prost or Arrows, for more than 20 years. Loads of good will always generate esteem.
Their results, BTW are not bad considering others' budget, particularly Toyota.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1014761)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very ture Nordic. Why do I like Minardi it simple they are the underdog and we all love to see the underdog do well.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1014804)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First, i must admit i love the old "original" Minardi team. F1racing did one interview with the team a long way back, and the passion of the team really can be felt.

The current Minardi has kinda lost that feeling under Stoddart. But i do appreciate that this is a team which fights against the odds to stay in F1.

Perhaps everyone just has a soft spot for underdogs.

But for the old team, i guess the believe that they are the "true" team is because, when a team is struggling with cash and resources against the odds like Minardi had, yet the people don't give up and keep doing it, what drives them is clearly not money, but passion.

But unfortunately, people often overlook the fact that even for the rich teams, many people who work and stay in this game for so long are here fundamentally because they love F1. This fact is lost at a time when rivalry and politics overshadow the passion.

The current Minardi had lost most of it's old magic, but with new rules allowing easier access to small/junior teams, it won't be long that spirit comes back to F1.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1014825)   #11
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Who cares that they're not succesful?!
Do you have to be successful to enjoy what you're doing?!

That's just pathetic...
No not at all, but you're reversing the point. Why would you love a team that has never been succesful and will never be succesful? I understand that succes in itself is not enough to became a fan of who- or whatever, but how can not having succes contribute to becoming a fan?
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1014838)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
But for the old team, i guess the believe that they are the "true" team is because, when a team is struggling with cash and resources against the odds like Minardi had, yet the people don't give up and keep doing it, what drives them is clearly not money, but passion.
But what exactly is the passion? I cannot understand the passion of merely taking part year after year in F1. I can however understand the passion of competing in motorsport, whether it be F1, F3000, touringcar, Le Mans, or whatever.

I can imagine any job in topmotorsports is a very hard job. Why would anyone find fullfilment in merely making up the numbers? Shouldn't passion be accompanied by having a fair shot at succes? Otherwise it's just a lack of realism what constitutes the driving force.

Quote:
But unfortunately, people often overlook the fact that even for the rich teams, many people who work and stay in this game for so long are here fundamentally because they love F1. This fact is lost at a time when rivalry and politics overshadow the passion.
True. Every toprunning team in F1 today has come forth from the work and dedication of people devoted to racing at the highest level. Now they are reaping the fruits, which is no less then fully justified, but reaping the fruits comes at a (political) price. Interests are no longer only in terms of sportive succes, but also in financial, commercial terms, and that is what is biting 'true' passion. The fact that Minardi isn't in the position to reap the fruits, doesn't make them more passionate, devoted or dedicated to F1 than any other team. No less either, but certainly not more. Yet that seems to be the sole argument for supporting Minardi.

Quote:
The current Minardi had lost most of it's old magic, but with new rules allowing easier access to small/junior teams, it won't be long that spirit comes back to F1.
I hope so. But I hope it brings back some competition in the backfield. Minardi competing against Scuderia Italia, Forti, Pacific and the likes of those, gives Minardi a lot more raison d'etre then trailing the next worst team bij 1,5 seconds.

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 24 Jun 2004 at 17:09.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1014854)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jonathan Noble has a similar discussion in today's Autosport...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1014877)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No no no..the "passion" is not about making up the numbers.

But (i would speak for the old Minardi), the people there did what they did simply because they want Minardi to keep running, because they want to be in F1. Because they love their job and what they do, success becomes secondary, although if they get success, they'd be overjoyed.

It's like, we love watching F1, knowing full well we can't be F1 drivers, but it doesn't stop us from watching. People love playing football not because they have a hope of playing in Euros..

It just happens that when there's a rich team, people brush off (rather unfairly) that those guys are in it for money. And in a struggling team with no money/success, people accept it easier that those guys are working because they love their job and doesn't give up due to lack of success.

I agree that rich/successful teams have people equally passionate about their job as less successful/poor teams.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1014888)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Minardi remind people of a very differnet age of ormula 1. A time when an eenthusiast with experience in lower formulas could enter on a shoestring and run competitively, challenging for good reuslts as described previously. The fact that they have survived for so long when other teams have folded is a testament to their efforts as well.

Ove Andersson and Jean Todt having racing passion? When Ove was leading Toyota, tehy simply tried to buy all the talent in each field (be it rally, touring cars or indy racing) and if it didn't work out they simply a) cheated b) spent some more, or c) pulled out in a huff. And I'm not convinced F1 would be any different. Jean Todt is responsible for telling his drivers NOT to race, in case it damages the PLC image.

Paul Stoddard bought his way into F1 for one reason,a dn one reason alone - passion. He took risks with his airline and its employees in order to protect Minardi and its employees.

Without the current Minardi team, Alonso, Webber and Wilson wouldn't've got their F1 chances - not to mention Trulli, Fisichella, Nannini, Gené, Martini, Morbidelli and countless others in the Giancarlo Minardi days.

Also, Paul is one of the main reasons why costs will be brought down in the near future (allowing for new teams to enter and probably weaken his team's position), and will hopefully allow for more exciting racing.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1014977)   #16
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I respect what Minardi is doing but as a race fan who wants to see competition I see it as a waste of time. Although many drivers have began their careers in a Minardi and moved on I would suggest that Minardi has helped ruin some careers as well.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1014985)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How has Minardi "ruined careers"?
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1015000)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

I appreciate Paul for his sacrifices, but i do get a bit irritated when he constantly "begs" for assistance (though i am FRUSTRATED that teams like Mclaren/Mercedes REFUSED to help) and Paul constantly broadcasting how Minardi should be helped by others and how it's everyone's "second fav team"

And i must say i appreciate them for giving many young talents a platform to start ... BUT they gave those guys a start because they have no money to pay for a driver, hence 'forced' to take up unproven new guys.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1015005)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
I appreciate Paul for his sacrifices, but i do get a bit irritated when he constantly "begs" for assistance (though i am FRUSTRATED that teams like Mclaren/Mercedes REFUSED to help)

Ron Dennis is actually on very good terms with Paul Stoddard, and has helped Minardi.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1015217)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone loves an underdog, a team that doesn't give up despite the massive odds, where they take pleasure from simply competing.

Minardi (and Jordan to a degree) are the last of the old-time team owners, with little/no factory support and are simply there to race and compete.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1015325)   #21
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gee its easy to kick somone while there down...

is there any reason why they shouldnt be there? hell no. Its a breeding ground for engineers and where drivers can get a go where one of the bigger teams would never have taken a risk with them. theres been some big success, but also big failures. is that different to the ebbs and flows of any other F1 team? look at the joke that Mclaren has been this season with a budget probably 10 times that of minardi.

they arent hurting anyone by being there. if you dont like them, dont look at them. its not like minardi gets oodlesof TV time anyhows.

Minardi and Jordan seem to be the only really human faces of F1, where everything is so corpotaised with no personality, just results. IMHO the day these 2 teams cease to exist will be a sad day not only for f1, but motorsport in general.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1015351)   #22
Andre the Giant
Rookie

Andre the Giant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst we all love the under dog, I feel Minardi under PS has lost its appeal IMO.
They seem to be going backwards every year.
The current crop of drivers they have are hopeless.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 23:22 (Ref:1015358)   #23
Svend
Rookie

Svend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Minardi is performing pretty good. With a 3 year old chassis, a 2 year old engine and a third of the budget they're staying within a second of the Jordans (qually pace).

Now, everybody takes Jordan seriously, so why not Minardi?

The drivers are not really up to standard (except from Bruni every now and then), but they just manage to use their budget very well.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1015366)   #24
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kicking-back.

What I mean by ruining careers is this. Let's take Klein for instance, only because he has money is he in F1. Minardi or Jordan and now Jaguar take a guy like that only because he has money and they need it. Not at all because it is good for his career or F1.

If they were in it for the love of racing or whats good for the sport they would tell a guy like that to come back in 2 more years or only have him test drive. Instead they take him and look what's happening he will lose his drive and probably never get another sniff in F1.

Minardi, Jordan a few years ago actually paid people to drive but their current form of a team is not good for F1 because it puts the emphasis on money not new talent or potential as they did in the past.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1015369)   #25
Andre the Giant
Rookie

Andre the Giant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Svend
Now, everybody takes Jordan seriously
You reckon?
From what I've read around the place they are becoming a bit of a joke too.