Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Sep 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1102899)   #1
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta Says "never Again"

Interesting to read that Da Matta sees F1 as been truly uncompetitive. "There's just no cmpetition in F1" that says it all really about the state of F1 really.

It must be the most frustrating category for talented drivers to compete in, week in week out such drivers look ridicilous. Way off the pace but, little they can do about it.

Major re-think is needed to even up the playing field.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1102907)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps he didn't notice that the first competition he should have been involved in was with his own team-mate! To CdM there was no competition, because he totally failed to provide any. shame - he looked really good on debut, but I think he just couldn't take the pressure.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1102912)   #3
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did well in the first year. His biggest mistake was the fallout with Mike Gascoyne.

If he was as smart as Panis... he would be there instead.

The rumour that one of them would be replaced in Germany (happened one GP later) by Ricardo, suggested Panis would be the one likely to go... But CdM as a good South American didn't play the political game well.

F1 is about driving and getting the best out of your car... but it's also working well with your team.

The best examples? M.Schumacher and M.Webber. Terrific team leaders.

Last edited by Turbo_Era; 21 Sep 2004 at 14:14.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1102922)   #4
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How interesting! Was looking at old threads and found this one:

http://tentenths.com/forum/newreply....&postid=982145

25 May 2004 05:41

Quote:
Originally posted by DieRitter
Well well... I'm not into giving things away, but looks like Zonta will get a race drive in July. Still don't know who will be replaced, but Panis is the most likely.

Good news for Ryan too.
This guy knew what he was talking about. Good stuff.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1102931)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Perhaps he didn't notice that the first competition he should have been involved in was with his own team-mate! To CdM there was no competition, because he totally failed to provide any. shame - he looked really good on debut, but I think he just couldn't take the pressure.
When you've won a series purely on your own driving merits (beating a former-F1 team-mate in the process), it must be frustrating to only be able to properly compare your performance with 1 other driver.

In any case, I think this is a little unfair. Once you consider Panis' more priviledged position within the team, his extra experience, and the fact that he's had much more testing in the 2004 car, CdM's record against Panis looks pretty respectable.

Clearly this quote is manna from heaven for those who want to see more emphasis on drivers in F1. What he says is essentially true, and relates as much to the difficulty of overtaking as it does to the variation in team performance.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1102934)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like an excuse to me - can't get anywhere against your team-mate? Claim that it is not possible to make a differnece and therefore excuse yourself.

If the driver makes not much difference how come DC looks like such a chump vs Kimi?

In my opinion what he says is essentially UNtrue.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1102939)   #7
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dam Matta was always very even with Panis. He was much closer in qualifying this year, maybe a little less impressive in the races. But if I'd had to choose on purely racing ability I'd have drtopped Panis and kept CDM.

A very promising driver and a loss to the sport. I think he's sapot-on with those comments.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1102940)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
da Matta is sacked by Toyota and no other teams show interest in him.

He says "I don't want to do F1 anymore!"

I suspect that's not a problem he'll have to deal with!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1102947)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he would like to have it, but, tough times for everyone in F1 let alone MS and few others.

Last edited by climb; 21 Sep 2004 at 15:04.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1102954)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Please keep heads out of the sand. As have other decent drivers before him, Da Matta leaves F1 a frustrated man who is much better than his record indicates. His assessment of the sport is more accurate than many would care to admit, imo.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1102965)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously, once you're outta here, it's easier to be frank and clear.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1102974)   #12
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Obviously, once you're outta here, it's easier to be frank and clear.
Exactly, he doesn't have to be careful not to step on anyones toes in F1 now. He can say it, as it is. It's damn true what he's saying. I was never a fan of him but, he clearly can't be a bad driver. F1 constantly makes bad drivers look good and good drivers bad.

All depending on what team your with and how there performing.

All we have to do is look at Button, talk about from zero to hero simply due to team change...
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1102985)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Matti Alamaki
All depending on what team your with and how there performing.

All we have to do is look at Button, talk about from zero to hero simply due to team change...
I think this is over-simplifying matters considerably. Firstly, many drivers have looked more impressive in smaller, midfield teams than in race-winning (or, at least, more competitive) ones - Ivan Capelli, JJ Lehto and Alex Zanardi come to mind.

Furthermore, by the end of his 2 years at Benetton/Renault, Button was 'hero' again, having outperformed Trulli comfortably and scored some impressive results with a mediocre car. It's only 2001 that made him look bad.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1102992)   #14
Glen
Veteran

You guys are missing one very obvious point! Button has gone up in everyone's estimation because he performed very well against the other guy in the identical car. Clearly Mr Watch-on-Sunday-Only might believe that he has suddenly got much better, but real F1 fans know that the car has got better, hence the podiums. BUT. The car getting better doesn't give him more podiums than his team-mate - better driving does that (OK, in this example there has been some difference in reliability, but not every time).

CdM could have scored no points all season long, but as long as he out qualified and out-raced his team-mate (the only other bloke in the same car) the F1 world would sit up and take notice. He didn't, they didn't.

Any driver's quickest route to a higher scoring finishing position is getting into a better car, so to that extent what he said is true (and indeed it must be very frustrating when your team doesn't seem to be making progress). But the hard facts are that he failed to impress against the oldest driver out there - so he is outta there.

Better example: Mark Webber has had a car even worse than the Toyota, but he HAS managed to make a name for himself, despite scoring virtually no points.

Drivers DO make a huge difference, and it does the sport a gross diservice to peddle the myth that they don't.

IMO.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1102997)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said Glen, on the mark there.

da Matta flattered to deceive.

I don't believe he's top drawer, that's been proved and he's gone.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1103010)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Oh, I think he is an excellent driver - they all are. But the very cream is at a standard which just frustrates the hell out of "normal" excellent drivers!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1103011)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
CdM could have scored no points all season long, but as long as he out qualified and out-raced his team-mate (the only other bloke in the same car) the F1 world would sit up and take notice. He didn't, they didn't.

But the hard facts are that he failed to impress against the oldest driver out there - so he is outta there.

Better example: Mark Webber has had a car even worse than the Toyota, but he HAS managed to make a name for himself, despite scoring virtually no points.

Drivers DO make a huge difference, and it does the sport a gross diservice to peddle the myth that they don't.

IMO.
To turn your point around, da Matta "failed to impress" (that's debatable; I think he's done quite well) against the most experienced driver out there, who's younger than Mansell, Prost and Hill were when they won titles.

Taking the 'beating team-mate despite no points' logic to its extreme, the top teams are mad to overlook Baumgartner for next season, as he's outperforming Bruni. Clearly, people's perception as to the ability of a team-mate, and whether the team-mate is on form, come into things, and those of us outside the team (let alone outside F1 altogether) can't always get an unbiased accurate perspective on this.

Although drivers make a difference, it's fair to say that Bruni in a Ferrari woudl trounce Michael in a Minardi. If you're in a car like a Toyota, you can't hope for regular top 10 starts or competitive runs, and there's no guarantee that a top team will pick you up. Fisichella has beaten his team-mate almost every year (good team-mates as well) yet only now is he getting a car likely to challenge for wins).
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1103018)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think there was that much difference between Panis and CDM on the track. Toyota found a few scapegoats to fire after the disappointing results and Panis is still there due to his willingness to retire as an active driver, along with his experience and testing feedback. Personally I think Toyota would have been better off with the tandem of Trulli and CDM, but admittedly I'm a tad biased against Ralf. CDM may be just too nice a guy for the dog-eat-dog world of F1. It's too bad because under the right circumstances I think he could have fared much better.

Last edited by Kirk; 21 Sep 2004 at 16:33.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1103027)   #19
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading between the lines on the press releases it seems like they thought he ought to be getting more out of the car than he did.

Comments like 'we seemed to be going backwards when others were competing' I think sum up the teams assessment of where he was at.

Maybe right, maybe wrong - it's immaterial.

Interestingly Da Matta criticised the car as being worse than last years, which is a clear dig.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1103031)   #20
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Furthermore, by the end of his 2 years at Benetton/Renault, Button was 'hero' again, having outperformed Trulli comfortably
*cough* *choke* That's arse. Button's a better driver now that he was back then, for sure, but I still don't buy that he was better than Trulli that year. Jarno had considerably more mechanical problems than Jenson in 2002. Of the races that they both managed to complete, though, Jarno was more often ahead at the end. Also, he "comfortably" beat Jenson in qualifying.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 17:06 (Ref:1103044)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Jarno's results only improved once Jenson was signed by BAR though - later in the season when Jarno was quicker, the reliability had risen.

In any case, in this context 'hero' was relating to his percievedperformance and ability, not what he was actually achieving (remember that these two are often very different things)
Old 21 Sep 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1103058)   #22
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is that much diference between the teams on the front of the grid and thoose at the back it never will be competetive. You will never get close racing while the cars are not the same as in American racing!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1103092)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Wait a minute Steve. The top 3 in the IRl all use Honda engines - last year the top 3 all used Toyotas. While the racing is undoubtedly closer, more varied and arguably more exciting in the IRL, closer parity doesn't solve every problem - and races with spec chassis/engines are often pretty dull in winged open-wheel cars.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 19:55 (Ref:1103233)   #24
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
OUCH!!!...Spot on 'Glen'...The first person to beat is your team-mate...regardless of how experienced he is.

'Boots' is wrong with his Baumgartner analogy...top teams wouldn't be intested in either Minardi driver IMO...Bruni has been a disapointment.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1103265)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Rennen
OUCH!!!...Spot on 'Glen'...The first person to beat is your team-mate...regardless of how experienced he is.

'Boots' is wrong with his Baumgartner analogy...top teams wouldn't be intested in either Minardi driver IMO...Bruni has been a disapointment.
Rennen, I think you've completely misunderstood me. My point was that, based on what Glen was saying (that beating your team-mate makes you hot property regardless of everything else), he should be a hot property (the point being that the ability of the team-mate has to be consdiered; of course neither Minardi driver belongs any higher up the grid)

As for your first point, experienced team-mates are much harder to beat, especially if they're not past their best. Being fairly even with a driver like Panis (who had 8 years more experience - that's 150-odd races worth of circumstances in which Panis has an advantage in knowing what approach to take) is no disgrace.