Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Jul 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1050025)   #1
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
The Future????

This article was sent to me by Reuters. I'm not sure exactly which thread it will fit into but.....

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands (Reuters) - A team led by an 82-year-old pensioner won the first Dutch championship for battery-powered electric scooter racing.
The race Tuesday across an obstacle course in rear-wheel-drive buggies, fitted with comfortable seats, armrests, handlebars and shopping baskets, was all about skilful maneuvering, with top speeds of just 7.5 miles per hour.

The Nationaal Fonds Ouderenhulp, a foundation for the elderly, organized the race for people in their 70s and 80s to promote mobility and to fight loneliness in retirement and nursing homes.

A team of Rotterdam pensioners took the checkered flag at Zandvoort motor racing circuit, beating 12 rival nursing homes over the 250-yard course of speed bumps, wooden ramps and plastic slalom cones.

"I'm 88. In the end my (buggy's) battery was running out. It was very frustrating," said contestant Wilhelmus Souren.

In a country that has one of the highest life expectancies in the world and is home to the world's oldest woman, demand for electric scooters is high with up to 75,000 people owning one.

Organizers hope the event will not be a one off.

"I think a lot more countries will get the idea of a national scooterbike championship and then we could start with a European or World scooterbike championship. Who knows?" organizer Jan Romme said.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1050352)   #2
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MSA have already given it championship status.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1050600)   #3
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula OAP
Old 29 Jul 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1050711)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oh goodie, one I can enter next year
Old 29 Jul 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1050978)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BBC News web site ran this story with a little video clip the other day!
Old 29 Jul 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1051110)   #6
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV coverage as well.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1052139)   #7
G Halls
Rookie

G Halls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too old for formula bmw and too young for Formula OAP maybe i will retire now and start my career at 70 instead!!
Old 27 Sep 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1108814)   #8
Lovlyperson
Rookie

Lovlyperson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today is the 27/sept/2004

Seven weeks ago have i been together whit Jack Villeneuve,as he made Training for his Comeback.i will tell you:i lost in 5 Month 41 kilo 2 year ago.By training whit a girlfriend.
And,i have to load on a Day about 2000 Parcels whit till 20000kilo a day by work.So,i am Overfeeted,but really Fit.Just,NO CHANGE to follow by Training.He did it whit a nice Girlfriend.But,when i remember,about 1971-1975,we,my Boss and i changed the Spring on a Ford-Capri Frontaxle in 8 min from Stop till start.We had do to shorter spring in,and had only the Spring whit Band's in a Pushed position holded as help.Sorry for my English.So we worked very hard too,but no Training,just Beer,beer and Beer.
So changes the time.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1115418)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm "beer, beer, beer" but excercises hard enough with girlfriend to lose 41kg in 5months. Who cares about your English mate, just introduce us to this girlfriend

Mind you, as I only weigh 80kg I might not be up to the task
Old 4 Oct 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1115425)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
PS. Lovelyperson - not sure if I'm speaking out of turn here, but can I suggest the user name you're looking for in English is "Nicebloke" rather than "Lovelyperson"
Old 5 Oct 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1116211)   #11
Lovlyperson
Rookie

Lovlyperson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dtype38
PS. Lovelyperson - not sure if I'm speaking out of turn here, but can I suggest the user name you're looking for in English is "Nicebloke" rather than "Lovelyperson"

Hi Dear dtype38!
The Name Lovelyperson gave my a other ex,but i losed my Emailaccount by O2 and changed it than to Lovlyperson.
You know,lives changes allway's.Today i drive a lorry and can not trink so much anymore,but,in Lakedistrikt is the Beer for £1.70-£1.90,and here in London over £2.00.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1116225)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lovlyperson

Hi Dear dtype38!
The Name Lovelyperson gave my a other ex,but i losed my Emailaccount by O2 and changed it than to Lovlyperson.
You know,lives changes allway's.Today i drive a lorry and can not trink so much anymore,but,in Lakedistrikt is the Beer for £1.70-£1.90,and here in London over £2.00.
I drive a lorry and never worry about the drink. There is a nice flat bit over the engine that supports bottles and glasses quite nicely thanks.
Don't worry about the name, dtype38 is just paranoid butch names
Old 6 Oct 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1116573)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
B * T * H

Last edited by dtype38; 6 Oct 2004 at 07:48.