Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 10 Jan 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1197505)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
BMMC Press Release

BMMC announces new President and new Chairman

Barrie Williams: President British Motorsport Marshals Club

At the Annual General Meeting of the BMMC, Barrie Williams was appointed the new President of the BMMC, taking over from Stuart Turner. Stuart has given the club many years of support but has decided that it is time to step down as President and pass the role to Barrie. The club would like to thank Stuart for his help during his time as President and appreciates all the efforts he has put in to take the club forward and enhance its standing in Motorsport.

Barrie was born in 1938 and attended Hereford Cathedral School before joining David Brown Tractors as an apprentice. He gained his first competition license in 1957 and an International license in 1959 and has driven in just about every form of Motorsport since! Barrie has competed in around 800 races and some 250 rallies, many of which have been internationals!

In 1971 he became a member of the BRDC and served as a director for some 11 years. Having driven in Karts, Saloon Cars, F3, GT’s etc for many years, Barrie is probably best known today for his driving in Historic championships. He is a regular at the Goodwood Revival Meeting and seems to manage to drive a magnitude of fabulous machinery during all three days.

Barrie has been a supporter of marshals for many years and I hope you will join the Committee in not only welcoming Barrie to the BMMC, but in looking forward to his support over the coming years!

Chris Hobson: Chairman British Motorsport Marshals Club

At the same time peter Roberts stood down after 6 years as Chairman. Chris Hobson, a member of the club for over 35 years has taken over this position. Chris is an active volunteer official, an MSA Steward and experienced Observer and has previously acted as National PRO and National Training Officer for the club.

Summary

BMMC is the only club dedicated to the recruitment, training and development of volunteer officials in motorsport. Together with its sister club, the British Rally Marshals club, the BMMC provides the majority of marshals active in the sport today.

Both Chris and Barrie are looking forward to working with the MSA and organizing clubs to improve the recruitment, retention and quality of volunteer officials, without whom there would be no motorsport as we now know it in this country.

Stephen Green
National Public Relations Offer
British Motorsport Marshals Club.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1197713)   #2
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome

A big welcome to Barrie and Chris

and may you get the support from us to give us the support we crave!

Good luck and best wishes.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1197971)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ditto ditto ditto (Messages have to at least 10 characters!!!)
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1199338)   #4
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chris Hobson has been a member of the club for 35 years????

Is it a painting in the attic, some sort of herbal thing or just being an "easy rider" (however you want to take that!)?

Come on, Chris, I myself find it hard to believe I'm up to 15 years in the club - but at least I look my age!

Anyway, what a good choice for chairman etc...

To steal a joke from my other half:- "The future looks bright, the future looks ORANGE"
(stolen from Dr I Paisley and best spoken in his voice).
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1199359)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it hard to believe that Whizzo was a choirboy! Oh, now there's ammunition for us all next time he misbehaves in a race!

Excellent news though and nice to see that we have all received a letter telling us of the new changes already. Keep up the good work chaps!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1203079)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Chris Hobson has been a member of the club for 35 years????

Is it a painting in the attic, some sort of herbal thing or just being an "easy rider" (however you want to take that!)?

Come on, Chris, I myself find it hard to believe I'm up to 15 years in the club - but at least I look my age!

Anyway, what a good choice for chairman etc...

To steal a joke from my other half:- "The future looks bright, the future looks ORANGE"
(stolen from Dr I Paisley and best spoken in his voice).
Strangely enough, I worked for Hutchison Telecom around the time they were launching the Orange brand in the UK. The billboards were common across the entire UK, and remarkably, no-one considered reigional sentivities. The first the head office management heard of a problem was when the hoarding contractors compained that the signs might be endangering the poor blokes who where pasting the adverts to the boards. You can imagine being a hoarding contractor, 20 foot up a ladder in Belfast having realised you've just pasted "the future is Orange" in 5 foot high letters on a wall?

Anyhow, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris on Sunday at Autosport. His initial aim to raise the visibility and profile in the club is think is an excellent start. I for one will try and do my bit! Good luck chaps!
Old 18 Jan 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1203868)   #7
deebrief
Rookie

England
Haddenham
deebrief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Chris

Haddenham obviously now has 3 amongst the marshalling fraternity, whereas Westcott has Clive and me thinks we have a few lurking out at Chinnor and some near Thame.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1204062)   #8
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Shelagh's benefit.........

I joined the club in Leeds in 1968 at the Leeds Car show, where the BMRMC had set up a mock marshals post. After a quick chat Les Bentley, then North East Chairman, and Paul Marsh had me signed up and I was out marshalling at the Elvington Speed wekend shortly after. That nearly ended my career on the spot - I crossed in front of a 1908 Metalergique (bloody great french car 14 litres and no brakes) and nearly got killed. However he missed and here I am, OVER 35 years on and still enjoying every minute of my involvment!

In 2007 The club will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary - I hope I will still be around as Chairman to lead those celebrations.

Better get back to the picture in the attic...................

Chris